Gibson Brands Forums

Want info on the SG 3 pickup faded Special form a few years ago

old mark

I'm looking at one of these in faded/worn white. Dot finger board that looks like rosewood, but says it's ebony. The one I see has a V and a T know, plus a chickenhead rotary switch for pickup selection. Hardware is chrome. Pups are supposed to be open 490 HB's, but this one has 3 covered HB's probably a mod...

Any experience with these? They get great reviews as players...I'm thinking it would be a nice birthday present for myself.

Thanks for any info or help.

ADDED; Bought it, and it arrived this morning. I am VERY happy with this SG, and I have done a little adjustment on it, and a little cleaning and put it back in the gig bag till August for my birthday present...

ALL of my Gibsons are "lower end" models, and every one is a great playing guitar, with no problems or defects. This one will be number 6.

SN says it was made January 18, 2007, production number 231. I love it already.

ANYONE with info on these guitars,please post if you would.

thanks

mark

• 6 months later...

I just bought one of these, second hand -

2r24v1l.jpg

qmxqn7.jpg

What I would really like to know is what was the inspiration behind this model?

It looks like an old SG Junior that has been heavily modified - was the "original" something that was used by someone vaguely famous?

• 2 months later...

i think the guitar is based on the old sg custom but with 490 s and chicken head knob, and faded to keep price down.

i have the 2007 gibson sg 3 ( and have a forum here) and they made 400 red 400 black only in 2007...i did own a faded sg 3 but sold to fund the sg 3 i have and i still regret it....if you can get one in good condition they are excellent guitars...and they were like 700 new lol

oh my sg 3 have the 57 pickups but other then that same guitar..except finish binding ect.

the sg custom has the 57 with A 3 way switch and a slimmer neck profile but basic design is same...

tom

i think the guitar is based on the old sg custom but with 490 s and chicken head knob, and faded to keep price down.

i have the 2007 gibson sg 3 ( and have a forum here) and they made 400 red 400 black only in 2007...i did own a faded sg 3 but sold to fund the sg 3 i have and i still regret it....if ypu can get one in good condition they are excellent guitars...and they were like 700 new lol

oh my sg 3 have the 57 pickups but other then that same guitar..expwct finish binding ect.

the sg custom has the 57 with A 3 way switch and a slimmer neck profile but basic design is same...

tom

Archived