Gibson Brands Forums

Angus Young Signature PU

bpm382

2009 SG Standard. Had reputable Luthier pull out the board and hardwire an Angus Young Signature PU in the bridge, and hardwire the existing 490R in the neck. At equal volume settings on Amp and guitar, the 490R in the neck is WAY louder than the Angus Young Signature PU, in the bridge. according to the Gibson website, the AYS PU has an output of 9.2 while the 490R has an output of 7.4. this makes no sense to me, what am I missing here?

That is not right. I have one with a 57 in the neck and it is a balanced set. Do you have the 4 wire version, maybe they have it wired wrong, can you measure the ohms of the pickup to confirm, it should be over 9K. What do you mean by hardwired ? I'm quess'n no volume/tone pots.

That is not right. I have one with a 57 in the neck and it is a balanced set. Do you have the 4 wire version, maybe they have it wired wrong, can you measure the ohms of the pickup to confirm, it should be over 9K. What do you mean by hardwired ? I'm quess'n no volume/tone pots.

[/quot

The SG came with a circuit board. The Luthier removed it and wired it the old fashioned way. I assume with pots. Makes no sense to me either. Shouldn't AY be louder than Neck PU based on output alone?

If both PU are in the same postion the AY should be hotter. The neck PU can be loader if it's close to the string. The string vibrate more in the neck position which creates more output than the bridge where the string don't vibrate as much, that is why you put a stronger PU in the bridge position and have it closer to the strings. Just look at the low E string as you pluck it, it vibrates a lot wider above the neck PU. I would measure the pickups with a meter connected to a cable, if the AY is wired wrong you should get a lower reading than the 9+K. The other thing maybe he put the AY in the neck position. Good luck

Archived