Gibson Brands Forums

Serial Numbers

Silverbursted

I figured this would be a good place to start. I just purchased a new LP Standard Limited Edition Silverburst from Guitar Center in Scottsdale. Besides the fact that this it is awesome, I am curious about the serial number. The guitar is obviously a Guitar Center exclusive based on the GC 558 serial number, but I would like to find out as much information I can it. With that being said, is there any resource out there that can de-code the serial number (i.e. born on date and location) like the normal gibson serial number convention?

Nice guitar! I absolutely love silverbursts! I almost bought that one too - guitar of the week 16 - but went with a desertburst Standard at the last minute...no point in having two silverbursts, right?

Regarding your serial number, I have no idea why it doesn't have a regular number. GC 558 is stamped on the back of the head??

I bought a SG, which was also a guitar of the week, and it has a typical nine digit serial number.

Regarding your serial number' date=' I have no idea why it doesn't have a regular number. GC 558 is stamped on the back of the head?? I bought a SG, which was also a guitar of the week, and it has a typical nine digit serial number.[/quote']

His Silverburst isn't one of the GOWs, it's a Guitar Center limited edition. The GOW ones have a regular serial number just like your SG.

Archived