Gibson Brands Forums

Help me understand amplifiers

RudyH

I don't know of any particular book out there unless you try Amazon. Really, the best thing you can do is to decide what famous guitar player's sound you like then ask questions about what sort of gear they use. Having the same gear doesn't mean that you'll sound like that guy, but at least you can get in the ballpark.

Books? We don't need no stinkin books! We have the internet. There are enough things on the web that you can get a pretty thorough understanding about amps. Read enough of the boutique vendors sites and all of the other stuff that's out there and you can pretty easily figure out what's what, what's important to know, what's opinion and what's just plain B.S. The replacement tube sites have pretty good info and some tone tests and links to other sites. Happy googleing...

Here's a great article on tube amps and Class A I found a while ago on the Mesa website. Very informative. You can open it in online or Acrobat format.

http://www.mesaboogie.com/US/Smith/ClassA.htm

Great article! Not too technical and explains things well. Even us geeks who understand all the math behind the circuits can appreciate an article like this.

Archived