Gibson Brands Forums

LPJ Bridge

Riptide

I love my LPJ but it doesn't have very good intonation, I adjusted the bridge which corrected the intonation however the bridge was then sticking up on an angle to the point that it was buzzing because where the string goes around the back of the bridge is slightly higher then the saddle. Any ideas how to fix that? I'm looking at getting a new bridge... I was checking out the ones on Stew Mac and I saw them from $35-150. Any ideas on how to fix the problem or if I should get a new bridge and which one if I do?

Thanks! [thumbup]

EDIT: I made a mistake... I meant Les Paul Junior. I didn't realize what an LPJ was until today. [blush]

Man you are messing that up.

Get someone that knows how to intonate it to look at it. The guitar is the same scale length and the 12th and bridge are in the same place no matter how many new bridges you put on it.

rct

Man you are messing that up.

Get someone that knows how to intonate it to look at it. The guitar is the same scale length and the 12th and bridge are in the same place no matter how many new bridges you put on it.

rct

I think you miss understood me... I just adjusted those screws in the bridge that adjust it's distance from the studs. I have set-up loads of other guitars just fine (believe it or not) so if I'm doing something wrong it's just on this one. And considering I set it back up how it was originally I don't think you could really say I was messing it up. I know the guitar is the same scale... I just adjusted the bridge... I just said it in the wrong way. I know the bridge is in the same place but some bridges have adjustable saddles... so I was wondering if that would help.

Ok, I see what you mean.

I don't own any guitars like that, I haven't since the 70's. I'm a tad sensitive to intonation issues, the old wrap arounds don't work for me.

Good luck with it.

rct

Ok, I see what you mean.

I don't own any guitars like that, I haven't since the 70's. I'm a tad sensitive to intonation issues, the old wrap arounds don't work for me.

Good luck with it.

rct

No worries, I understand :) Thanks!

yeah I first thought was like RCT's and the bridge height shouldn't be used for intonation until you pointed out that it is a wrap around bridge with non-adjustable saddles

I would suggest that you'll probably have to work with your bridge height and your truss-rod adjustment to get the intonation better since you have no saddles to adjust (that's why Gibson bailed on that design and came up with the 'trusted' TOM/stop tail)

yeah I first thought was like RCT's and the bridge height shouldn't be used for intonation until you pointed out that it is a wrap around bridge with non-adjustable saddles

I would suggest that you'll probably have to work with your bridge height and your truss-rod adjustment to get the intonation better since you have no saddles to adjust (that's why Gibson bailed on that design and came up with the 'trusted' TOM/stop tail)

The height is fine. It's the length that needs adjusted.

If you like a well intonated guitar, get an intonable wrap around stop tail bridge at StewMac or some similar shop. Measure your stud spacing and string spread. I put one on my MM years ago.

Do you suggest a certain one? How do you like yours?

You had me going ... you're talking 'LP Junior', not 'LPJ'

LPJs have proper bridges and tail pieces

Oh! Sorry! What is an LPJ? :unsure: Sorry I didn't know there was a difference... [blush]

Oh! Sorry! What is an LPJ? :unsure: Sorry I didn't know there was a difference... [blush]

That's why I hollered at you that you were messing it up. Far as I knew, that guitar has a tunermatical and a stop bar, so what you were describing sounded whack yo.

rct

Calling an LP Junior an LPJ was/is pretty common.

It's either very clever, or a very unfortunate mistake for Gibson to call the new guitars LPJ

It's too bad they don't have "Les Paul Model" on their headstocks msp_scared.gif

It looks like the first one might. I need to measure the width. Is that off of the bridge width? Or the nut width? Because I know I have a 1 3/4" nut and a 12" radius.

So I "fixed" my bridge issues... I pulled out some washers and put them under there. (see pics below) Seems to be working [biggrin] Any ideas how to get them to stay there though? Obviously they will be fine when the strings are up to tension but they will fall out when I change strings and stuff.

IMG_0019.jpg

IMG_0020.jpg

96f6abaa-fc37-4267-96b0-7cecdef31b11.jpg?t=1373592122

Whoa! . . . . What's going on there?

Why do you need those spacers? The stop tail bridge screws should have a shoulder that fits the bridge snug. See the bridge screw in the pic below has a shoulder and that should allow the thickness of the bridge ends to fit nice and snug between the top of the screw in it's shoulder. There should be no need for spacers. Have you got the correct screws for that bridge?

Or is it that you've lengthened the strings so far to intonate that the bridge adjustment screws are almost pushing the bridge off the anchor screws? If so you need a bridge with more travel on the ends, like this BadAss - http://www.guitarfetish.com/Chrome-Badass-Style-Intonatable-wraparound-bridge_p_153.html

B18_b.jpg

So I "fixed" my bridge issues...

I know I misunderstood you at the start of this thread, but with the benefit of these photos I'm misunderstanding you even more now. Whatever that is, it ain't right.

rct

Whoa! . . . . What's going on there?

Why do you need those spacers? The stop tail bridge screws should have a shoulder that fits the bridge snug. See the bridge screw in the pic below has a shoulder and that should allow the thickness of the bridge ends to fit nice and snug between the top of the screw in it's shoulder. There should be no need for spacers. Have you got the correct screws for that bridge?

Or is it that you've lengthened the strings so far to intonate that the bridge adjustment screws are almost pushing the bridge off the anchor screws? If so you need a bridge with more travel on the ends, like this BadAss - http://www.guitarfetish.com/Chrome-Badass-Style-Intonatable-wraparound-bridge_p_153.html

B18_b.jpg

Yeah it's definitely not "snug". Yeah, I've lengthened the screws to correct the intonation. I know I need to get a new bridge, but I wanted a quick fix for the time being.

Archived