Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Trad Pro II Pickup and Hardware Issue

Hello, I'm not sure if this is in the right section, so I apologize if it isn't. I bought a Les Paul Traditional Pro II yesterday evening, and when I plugged it in at home with some dirt, I receive a loud humming noise coming from the pickups. The bridge pickup hums especially loud. I have played 3 different guitars through the amp, so I know it isn't the amp or cables. Also, I have another small issue with the battery compartment; it won't open unless I actually unscrew the whole plate off and push it from the inside. This is a floor model guitar (which allowed me to talk them down on the price), but I really dig the feel of this guitar compared to the other Les Pauls at the store, so I really don't want an exchange. I can take it back to the store for them to fix it, but it is a long drive to the store, so I was wondering if there was anything I could do to fix it myself.

Thanks in advance!

Any chance that the coil tap might have been pulled?? With dirt it will hum like hell...

The boost and coil split are both off. I have to keep my volume knob lower than ~7 or else it will hum very loud. It happens with both pickups, but the bridge pickup is more noticeable.

Wow.... not good....I had to ask, though. Once I set up my board and my tone was horrible! After a few minutes of frustration.... I realized that my wah had gotten turn on during transport [blush]

I know the feeling... Happened today, actually... "Why is my new Les Paul sounding so tinny and bri......... Oh"

Could it just be the wires aren't soldered on very well or something?

Yes I will try to get a good picture of the insides. I took it back to Guitar Center for them to take a look at it. They said that it's perfectly normal for a guitar with humbuckers to hum and screech when you play with gain (despite none of my other humbucker-equipped guitar having the same issue). Thanks for all the help so far!

• 2 weeks later...

I would expect that it is still under warranty, I just wonder if it's a simple fix that I can do at home to save myself from the long drive to the music store I bought it from.

Yes, but a factory warranty person might be closer.

• 2 months later...

Yes I will try to get a good picture of the insides. I took it back to Guitar Center for them to take a look at it. They said that it's perfectly normal for a guitar with humbuckers to hum and screech when you play with gain (despite none of my other humbucker-equipped guitar having the same issue). Thanks for all the help so far!

How did you make out?

The screw driver to open the compartment is nothing. Try removing the 10db boost battery and see what happens. Sounds like a minor ground issue from shielding. See if the deactivated boost eliminates the issue first though.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello friend. I bought the exact same axe as you about a month ago, and had similar problems with the battery case. It took some fiddling, but managed to get it open eventually. The clip that holds it down on the models seems quite stiff, which was backed up when I was road-testing a few of the same line in my local store before my purchase. The guy in store had some difficulty opening the compartment to replace a dead battery cell.

I don't think the issue on this is unique to just yours, on this basis. I manipulated mine a bit; I removed the entire plate and unclasped the catch from the underside of the case, and then repeated opening and closing until the case came out with a bit more ease.

With regards to your humming issue; like others have said might be a grounding problem or something with the battery interfering. Hope you manage to sort both issues :)

• 4 months later...

Archived