Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Faded Backs

Enders

Hey guys!

Was just wondering whether the Les Paul fadeds usually have one or two piece backs? Because I thought it was usually two piece but I just recently saw one with a one piece and I really checked to make sure it was one piece. There was no sign of it being a two piece.

Is it rare or something? I'm not very experienced with fadeds so I hope someone can enlighten me.

Also if I may ask, how are the standard fadeds compared to the standards in terms of quality and wood? I know it doesn't have the finish and all, any other differences besides look?

Guest Farnsbarns

Usually 2+ pieces. Not that it makes any difference. I believe they are simply standards with a "faded" finish.

Guest Farnsbarns

I always thought one piece backs are always better for the sound. I thought if it was rare then it could be sold for a higher price and all.

A two piece back is going to make no difference to the sound. If anyone tells you otherwise, invite them to partake in a blind test at your local music shop and watch them squirm.

A two piece back is going to make no difference to the sound. If anyone tells you otherwise, invite them to partake in a blind test at your local music shop and watch them squirm.

I see, haha, must have been my misconception cos people seem to always say one piece backs are 'better' and 'more solid'. Good idea about the blind test though. :D

Some people find single piece backs/bodies more desirable, but that hardly ever translates into more value.

Understood. Wouldn't make sense for it to be much more valuable, considering they're the same guitar. Thanks :)

Archived