Gibson Brands Forums

NGD 11/7/2013

jdgm

I am in UK and bought it online from Thomann.de.

ES175_1_072013_zps66a034cf.jpg

ES175_2_072013_zpsd173715b.jpg

It arrived on Wednesday, in a huge box. I've spent several hours with it so far but haven't really investigated the electric sounds yet.

Mostly maple I think, even the interior is painted or stained black. In fact the paint is very thick on the headstock and almost obscures the serial no. and "Made In USA 2013", however I heard with black you have to put a lot on to get a really even finish.

I replaced the white switch tip with a black one and will also be getting a black 5-ply pickguard.

Maybe this - http://dazbootmanspickguards.com/products-page/guitar/0030-2

So far, so great. It has more bass than my 2 archtops which are 1/2" thinner, and notes and chords have plenty of spring. Factory strings are an 11 or 12 set with a wound 3rd and very squeaky. This was exacerbated by resonance in the 'non-speaking' length of the strings between the bridge and Bigsby tailpiece,which presents a shallower break angle than the normal trapeze; solution, felt (see 1st pic). There are 2 grubscrews securing each end of the bridge to the posts which were loose and needed tightening.

It plays great straight out of the box/case (brown with pink lining). However there are the usual odd rattles and hums typical of a semi which hasn't been damped, something I will sort out when I change strings.

Issues; already discussed in another thread - the body area beneath the top end fretboard overhang (see pic).

ES175neckbody072013_zps536e2512.jpg

Yes this is a brand new guitar. I think they are all like that. Is it where they hang it up to spray or dry it?

Thomann are still advertising this model with a serial no. just a few away from mine (http://www.thomann.de/gb/gibson_es_175_reissue_eb_bigsby.htm) so Gibson Memphis have obviously made quite a few.

Thomann also have the ES195 in black, P94 and Bigsby-equipped, a thinline with the 6-a-side headstock.

But my main issue with the purchase of this fine instrument is the European currency Exchange Rate. The guitar price is 2666 EUROS. Had I made the e-transaction a few days later than I did, the 2666 Euros would have been over £60 (GBP) less. Americans will boggle at this but there's not a damn thing I can do about it.

I had a big ebay sale including 2 guitars to help offset the cost.

Guilt trips; I should have saved or maybe spent the money on other more important things, i.e. home improvements but...I didn't. Later for all that. Look at this guitar!

ES175_3_072013_zps96df1f32.jpg

Regards!

Sweet guitar. I apologize if this sounds presumptuous, but I'd put flatwounds on it if it were mine for two reasons. I prefer a traditional jazz box sound out of a jazz box guitar. And, Bigsbys tend to readily go out of tune unless the nut and saddles are lubed. Flatwounds tend to glide easier over those surfaces. You prolly already know that flats don't squeak, and they last much longer.

Something tells me that this guitar won't see much jazz. I wouldn't put a Bigsby on a guitar intended solely for jazz.

No you are mistaken Meestah Bond!!!!

Seriously....I've been having a lot of fun today playing it, great sound from the P94 pickups. Yes I will put tapewounds on at some point, Thomastik probably...about the only thing I get to play live now occasionally is jazz, mostly rhythm in a duo where I try to keep a walking bass and 3-note-chords going - I've been practicing that on II-V-Is all day, finding out in how many different keys I can use the open E and A strings as part of the line....not quite rock n'roll!

But with the black finish, Bigsby, P94s it is a rock guitar too for when I put on nickel-wounds with an 11 top and 18 plain G! There is no strap peg at the neck end so I've got to figure out whether I want one or tie the strap round the headstock old-style....

No you are mistaken Meestah Bond!!!!

Seriously....I've been having a lot of fun today playing it, great sound from the P94 pickups. Yes I will put tapewounds on at some point, Thomastik probably...about the only thing I get to play live now occasionally is jazz, mostly rhythm in a duo where I try to keep a walking bass and 3-note-chords going - I've been practicing that on II-V-Is all day, finding out in how many different keys I can use the open E and A strings as part of the line....not quite rock n'roll!

But with the black finish, Bigsby, P94s it is a rock guitar too for when I put on nickel-wounds with an 11 top and 18 plain G! There is no strap peg at the neck end so I've got to figure out whether I want one or tie the strap round the headstock old-style....

yep.....due to the solid anchoring and increased surface contact Bigsbys can be fine for Jazz.

my only Bigs equipped guitar is a Tele, but it improved the guitars vibration across the board on all strings.

re-stringing takes an extra 30 seconds or so per string, but that's no big deal.

I love your new guitar !

Beauty!

It is true to say that a Beegsbee has never lived in my home for Fenders and Gibsons, but that right there could change that!

rct

I have become a true believer in the past year and now have 2 Bigsby guitars. Of course I knew before but....no I didn't, not really. You cannot satisfactorily go gentle into that good night without having twanged the B.

You must do it eventually, you know you must.

This stuff under the fretboard overhang is buffing compound. It might clean up with a buffing rag.

Ah - thankyou. After reading that I had a go with the polishing cloth, very minor improvement took away the pink cast but the 'stuff' has dried so I would probably need to apply some more similar compound to activate it again and I'm not going to worry. You would like this one Sir S!

Very nice guitar - congratulations and HNGD!

Since I don't own any Bigsby equipped guitar, I don't know much about it. But I can say that the Maestro on my FZ "Roxy" SGs surprised me with its contribution to tone simply because it's there and the strings are attached to it. I can't get this very special airy sound with a hardtail or a Floyd Rose system guitar. So perhaps the Bigsby's performance as a tailpiece might be well worth it even if you don't use the vibrato as such.

Have fun, keep us informed about the strings you will use, and what you experienced playing them.

Archived