Gibson Brands Forums

SG-X

STEVIL

I'm really liking these, but haven't played one, as they are now discontinued dating back to the end of the 90s - typical of me to miss out on a release that happened during my lay off from playing, now I'm itching to get one. I'd love to see Gibson re-issue these, the colours are terrific. [thumbup]

SGX.jpg

The colors remind me of kitchen appliances of the 1950's—not that I spent any time in kitchens during the 50's! LOL! I wasn't around yet. But from what I know of that era…

I'd probably go for the yellow one.

Yeah, I'm crazy for one tbh. Any of those colours would do. Guess I'll just have to watch out on FleaBay see if one comes up for grabs. There was also an SG Z as well, I saw it on the Everything SG site yesterday, here's a shot:

8a2b4fc497ac85acc4a7a90b280888a3aa0a7fa7_200x524_Q75.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

That series was called the "Beach Colors", they also came in olive green, brown, ebony black, cardinal red, and the color mine was originally, a deep dark blue with almost purple hues that looked black from a distance. If it hadn't been for the large, obnoxious Tommy Hilfiger logo on it (it was some kind of promo guitar), I would've kept it that amazing color instead of refinishing it in a classic white (also added a dark silver MOP pickguard.) I've also seen a WWE Wrestling promo SG-X before, in black with a large WWE logo. Great guitar, has the same pickup as the Explorer (a 500T) which is fairly hot and aggressive, with a pole-splitting switch for single coil tones. Also, some had pickguards while some did not, and some had blank truss rod covers while others were stamped "SG-X" or "I" on the earlier models. (I suspect they were a follow-up to the All-American I & II series, which were tremolo-equipped variations similar to a Melody Maker made in the years just before the SG-X appeared.

• 5 months later...

Greetings all,

I'm hoping to get some advice from the experts here. I have this gibson sg-x here and I don't know much about it. I called Gibson and the serial number was on, but that is all they could tell me about the guitar. It has a clear coat, which I have not seen anywhere else. The gibson rep suggested it was a factory employee that got it off the line and finished it themselves.

The guitar is not the easiest one to research. I would really appreciate if I could get some appraisals. I'm looking at moving and offloading the guitar.

Thank you and any advice is appreciated!

post-62637-041048600 1389662296_thumb.jpg

post-62637-032799600 1389662338_thumb.jpg

post-62637-078654200 1389662392_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...

Greetings all,

I'm hoping to get some advice from the experts here. I have this gibson sg-x here and I don't know much about it. I called Gibson and the serial number was on, but that is all they could tell me about the guitar. It has a clear coat, which I have not seen anywhere else. The gibson rep suggested it was a factory employee that got it off the line and finished it themselves.

The guitar is not the easiest one to research. I would really appreciate if I could get some appraisals. I'm looking at moving and offloading the guitar.

Thank you and any advice is appreciated!

Hello! I just picked up a '98 Gibson SG-X a few days ago. I absolutely love it! I purchased my SG-X for $300. A steal, right?!

The individual I purchased it from refinished the guitar himself. He actually did a great job! I think he said he refinished it with Tung Oil.

I imagine that you probably sold your guitar already, but in case not... I think that you could very easily get $500 to $600+ for your SG-X. I'm not an expert, but by researching completed listings on various online auction sites, I think that $500-$600 is a good price. The brightly colored one's tend to go for more, I've found.

Hope this helps!

Attached below is a picture of my SG-X.

(Please ask permission before using my photo.)

post-63113-019070900 1403431706_thumb.jpg

Archived