Gibson Brands Forums

Hummingbird pickguard fail

paulville

Hola, I have a 2005 Hummingbird 12-string, S/N 02785002. The pickguard is coming apart!

The pickguard is comprised of two layer, the tortoiseshell (attaches to the guitar) and a rubbery layer that sits on top of the tortoishell pickguard itself. This layer has the hummingbirds and flowers, etc. The two layers are separating! At first I thought the adhesive between the two was just failing, because I could kind of push them back together for a while. But now, cracks have formed in the rubbery layer in just the last two months!!! I took the photo here in April.

I don't know if it's a bad chemical reaction or what. Crazy! No temperature or humidity issues. Stored indoors in temp controlled closet, rarely taken out of the case. Tech says it happens with Doves and Hummingbirds. The tortoiseshell layer is perfectly fine.

Anybody else have this issue?

Will I have to have the entire pickguard replaced or just the top layer?

How much does a REAL Hummingbird pickguard cost?

Will Gibson fix it under warranty? Btw, if not, I'll be seriously P.O.ed!

Any Gibson authorized repair in the San Jose, CA area? (I can take it to San Francisco, but I'd rather not.)

Seriously irritated!!!

Thanks in advance for any information.

post-58169-045351900 1373925545_thumb.jpg

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your best bet is to contact Customer Service at (800)444 2766 selection 4.

They will take very good care of you.

C.B. Perkins Luthiers Winfield Blvd. #B-6 San Jose, CA 95123 408-578-3428

A warranty service center in San jose that does great work. After communicatig with Gibson Customer Service CB Perkins will be able to do the PG warranty work for you.

All the best

Jeremy

Ever since the 1960's corporations have been 'trying' to improve on 'perfection'... [confused] My cynical-side says they are trying to cut-cost (bean-counting) and improve production time. My 'reality-side' says the same thing.... Sorry for your (bad) luck. I hope that you get 'redemption'....

I put this 'fail' in the same category as the 'plastic fail' in some older tuner knobs and pickguards...."Nature of the Beast" I say.....Deal wid it.... [laugh]

All I can say is that picture of that Hummingbird pick guard is.... Just unbelievable for the price....Yea...that's it. ...Unbelievable. Perhaps Gibson could solve this utterly endless Hummingbird pic guard problem by including 6 or 7 extra pick guards in the case of each and every Hummingbird so that when it fails off, or falls apart, or the picture rubs off, you have another one to stick back on without going through the aggravation of calling and asking for them for another one all the time.

Not the exact same problem. The guard on mine just quietly let go at the points last month though it lives a snug life in proper conditions and in the case during off hours. I pressed them back in place, and I'm looking the other way on it right now.eusa_pray.gif

Not the exact same problem. The guard on mine just quietly let go at the points last month though it lives a snug life in proper conditions and in the case during off hours. I pressed them back in place, and I'm looking the other way on it right now.eusa_pray.gif

In the winter time I have the same problem with my Doves in Flight. But I just have to press it back for a bit and then it sticks for a couple of weeks. But now in the summer it's not dry so it's no problem

Preferences§1234567890-=BackspaceTabqwertyuiop[]Returncapslockasdfghjkl;'\shift`zxcvbnm,./shiftEnglishDeutschEspañolFrançaisItalianoPortuguêsРусскийalt altPreferences

Mr JuanCarlosVejar, With all due respect, a fail is a fail, whether it happens one year after purchase or fifty......time does not change the fact.....simply the level of expectation and/or dissapointment.

I realise that it is an old vs young thing....The younger generation has become accustomed to workmanship not lasting very long ......'disposable merchandise' and all!

A 'new idea' that turns out to be a 'bad idea' ...is a Fail. Recognise it, admit it, and move forward or backward and get it right again.

That is all that I am 'trying' to say.. [smile]

JC

All I can say is that picture of that Hummingbird pick guard is.... Just unbelievable for the price....Yea...that's it. ...Unbelievable. Perhaps Gibson could solve this utterly endless Hummingbird pic guard problem by including 6 or 7 extra pick guards in the case of each and every Hummingbird so that when it fails off, or falls apart, or the picture rubs off, you have another one to stick back on without going through the aggravation of calling and asking for them for another one all the time.

GL, I have to agree with MoP's observation on the Out of Production thread. It seems you are a "Glass is Half Full" kind of guy. There is no 'utterly endless Hummingbird pickguard problem'. Only occasional rants here now and then. And a few folks who are OCD about certain things. You can't seriously believe that a company should guarantee that a product like an acoustic guitar, which is sensitive to wear and tear and the elements - should be quality perfect after 8 years. Might Gibson get a bad batch of items from suppliers? Yes. Do they stand behind them? Lifetime guarantee.

GL, I have to agree with MoP's observation on the Out of Production thread. It seems you are a "Glass is Half Full" kind of guy. There is no 'utterly endless Hummingbird pickguard problem'. Only occasional rants here now and then. And a few folks who are OCD about certain things. You can't seriously believe that a company should guarantee that a product like an acoustic guitar, which is sensitive to wear and tear and the elements - should be quality perfect after 8 years. Might Gibson get a bad batch of items from suppliers? Yes. Do they stand behind them? Lifetime guarantee.

You obviously have not owned many Gibsons. I owned three. a new SJ-200 reissue ... The pick guard faded in two weeks and then in 4 years it pulled up and came off.....I also owned a brand new Gibson Advanced Jumbo. ...It's pick guard bubbled up and became unsightly within a year. And I owned a Woody Guthrie AJ Mahogany...it's pick guard too showed many unsightly bubbles underneath it, and lifting within two years time. Judging from all the Hummingbird and Dove pick guard complaints I see here in this very thread...and all the others I have noted because of my own pick guard problems..I would say your comment appears to not make sense. You should also know that I owned 40 new high guitars in my life time..Martin, Gibsons, Guilds, Taylors, as well as many other lower priced type beaster guitars such as Epi and Yamaha beaters...and of all of them and over 30 years....only three guitars ever had lifting/peeling, bubbled pick guards......the three Gibsons..... And just because a company continuously agrees to replace a pick guard still does not mean that makes for happy customers. It does not.

Last week I saw my old B25 again. It's now over 40-years-old. I sold it to a friend and he sold it to a friend. Haven't owned it since the early 70's or so. It's been in this area all these years. Seen it 15-20 times throughout the years. The damn thing still has the original pick guard, but it is showing some wear and tear and one corner appears to be raising-up some, so I tend to agree with some of the facts being presented here: Gibson has a problem with pick guards. And I sincerely feel sorry for those folks who have had problems with every Gibson they own or have owned. My Gibson story is pretty much the exact opposite. Fixed my J150 pick guard issue with some dual coat finish and moved-on. Great guitar.....Some folks have pick-guard-i-tis, some don't. Life just isn't fair.

You obviously have not owned many Gibsons. I owned three. a new SJ-200 reissue ... The pick guard faded in two weeks and then in 4 years it pulled up and came off.....I also owned a brand new Gibson Advanced Jumbo. ...It's pick guard bubbled up and became unsightly within a year. And I owned a Woody Guthrie AJ Mahogany...it's pick guard too showed many unsightly bubbles underneath it, and lifting within two years time. Judging from all the Hummingbird and Dove pick guard complaints I see here in this very thread...and all the others I have noted because of my own pick guard problems..I would say your comment appears to not make sense. You should also know that I owned 27 new high guitars in my life time..Martin, Gibsons, Guilds, Taylors, as well as many other lower priced type beaster guitars such as Epi and Yamaha beaters...and of all of them and over 30 years....only three guitars ever had lifting/peeling, bubbled pick guards......the three Gibsons..... And just because a company continuously agrees to replace a pick guard still does not mean that makes for happy customers. It does not.

Three here also. '94 SJ200, ''10 H'Bird TV and a '64 LG1. Still have all 3. The glue dried up on the LG pic guard in the late 70s. Had a tech glue it back on. No problems since.

Bubbling up,unsightly bubbles underneath and fading are all in the eyes of the beholder. Sorry you have had such bad luck with your Gibsons, helps us understand your positions on discussions like this. You're 0 for 3 and I'm batting 1000, hence the difference in opinions. If I were that unhappy with a product, the last thing I'd want to do is spend time on a forum for fans.

Three here also. '94 SJ200, ''10 H'Bird TV and a '64 LG1. Still have all 3. The glue dried up on the LG pic guard in the late 70s. Had a tech glue it back on. No problems since.

Bubbling up,unsightly bubbles underneath and fading are all in the eyes of the beholder. Sorry you have had such bad luck with your Gibsons, helps us understand your positions on discussions like this. You're 0 for 3 and I'm batting 1000, hence the difference in opinions. If I were that unhappy with a product, the last thing I'd want to do is spend time on a forum for fans.

I think that's a bit unfair. I wouldn't be pleased and the fella is obviously on here simply to see if anyone else has same problem and a solution to it .

Surely this forum is for this very reason. Not to sit and blow smoke up each others asses about how great we are for buying a gibson

And here's me sitting waiting for my j45 pickguard to fall off so I can put it back on in the right position ! :)

LOL

Come on Guys....Jeremy from customer service gave the guy great advice, a place to fix it.....it is a warranty problem and it will be fixed. Gibson will probably take a good look at this "fail" and do better next time......let's all learn from our mistakes.....

BBG this thread had nothing to do with guitar light he doesn't even own a gibson his posts are consistently critical to gibsons quality. I didn't want to sit here and make a war on a forum but I'm just sick of reading it.

I think that's a bit unfair. I wouldn't be pleased and the fella is obviously on here simply to see if anyone else has same problem and a solution to it .

Surely this forum is for this very reason. Not to sit and blow smoke up each others asses about how great we are for buying a gibson

BBG this thread had nothing to do with guitar light he doesn't even own a gibson his posts are consistently critical to gibsons quality. I didn't want to sit here and make a war on a forum but I'm just sick of reading it.

Then, Motherofpearl, you shouldn't read my posts, or follow me around the room looking for what I write to condemn me. No one is twisting your arm are they? And stop wining. People who do have pick guard problems wish to discuss the issue with each other, with out being judged and accosted by you, who obviously has a problem with anyone who doesn't praise the guitars you buy. As for owning Gibsons, I've owned more fine Gibsons that you'll ever see in your life time. And Gibsons acoustic guitar tone in my view, is the best in the world. Period. Just because I have a problem with Gibsons pick guards does not mean I hate Gibson as you continually intimate. Educate yourself. So stop whining and moaning every time someone disagrees with you. It's childish and not needed in this room. Answer the OP's question with out wining and judging other peoples personal views and you'll be a lot better off. No one wants to keep hearing you pick out names and judge others because you are having a bad day.

I highly doubt you've owned more fine Gibsons than ill see in my life time. I've owned probably 30 in the last 5 years. I can quote you saying you owned 3 so quit contradicting yourself. Anyhow I'm done with you.

Then, Motherofpearl, you shouldn't read my posts, or follow me around the room looking for what I write to condemn me. No one is twisting your arm are they? And stop wining. People who do have pick guard problems wish to discuss the issue with each other, with out being judged and accosted by you, who obviously has a problem with anyone who doesn't praise the guitars you buy. As for owning Gibsons, I've owned more fine Gibsons that you'll ever see in your life time. And Gibsons acoustic guitar tone in my view, is the best in the world. Period. Just because I have a problem with Gibsons pick guards does not mean I hate Gibson as you continually intimate. Educate yourself. So stop wining and moaning every time someone disagrees with you. It's childish and not needed in this room. Answer the OP's question with out wining and judging other peoples personal views and you'll be a lot better off. No one wants to keep hearing you pick out names and judge others because you are having a bad day.

BBG, I agree 100% with everything you wrote. (Except maybe that I was being a bit unfair! )

I certainly agree new posters should always feel free to come here to post questions concerning their Gibsons.

I apologize if I wasn't clear: I did not intend to imply my comment was intended directly or indirectly to the OP.

I highly doubt you've owned more fine Gibsons than ill see in my life time. I've owned probably 30 in the last 5 years. I can quote you saying you owned 3 so quit contradicting yourself. Anyhow I'm done with you.

Motherofpearl, those are the three Gibsons I sold, I still own 40 other Gibsons with 3 more on the way. I've always been a Gibson fan. And I haven't sold them all off like you did because you were unhappy with your Gibsons. Perhaps you should try Martin or Taylor forums if you are that unhappy with your Gibsons. After all this is a Gibson room.

Stop whining! And for those kiddies not sure of the spelling, it is W-H-I-N-I-N-G. When you can spell it, you're then allowed to argue like adolescents. Also, you're not allowed to use the "mine is bigger than your's" argument until you become an adult.

Archived