Gibson Brands Forums

New SG 2013 Gibson SG Standard - Heritage Cherry

Country-Rocker

Hi All,

I got this guitar yesterday From Anderton's Music in Guldford, England. I exchanged another guitar that wasn't doing it for me as it was too heavy and akward to play sitting down. This guitar works better for me as the hump is more in the middle like my Martin acoustic (000-15M). I wanted this one all along and I should have went with my gut intuition... just buy the damn one you want... featues etc.... don't mean anything as it is something you gotta like to play. I am so glad I did this, because I could have sat back and told myself 'why bother'. If I don't get that 'come hither..play me' kind of feeling a guitar just becomes another sterile 'nice to look at' toy. I can't financially afford that and I don't collect toys anymore lol.... I'm married dude lol.... Anderton's Music in Guildford is a great place to get an instrument from as they were are friendly and helpful.

I knew which guitar I wanted, but I did have a look at other models. I was sold on the cherry via my main guitar dudes Robby Krieger, George Harrison, Pete Townshend, etc... I must admit the Angus Young in ebony is a goodlooking axe as well as a newer kind of orange looking cherry coloured standard. I was tempted by this orange colour, but I kept thinking....this is the only one you are getting...don't be sorry later, so I went with the classic colour for the SG Standard.

I live in Portsmouth England so I took a train there to Guildford and on the way back the heatwave we are having here caused the trains to stop. After hours of waiting stuck in a train...lol... I finally got a very long train back to POrtsmouth. I did however find a Tarot card laying face down on the side of the pavement in Guildford, so maybe I found a good luck charm...lol... I will put in me SG case.

When I first plugged it in it sounded awesome, but with much crackle and white noise. I was greatly disappointed and got on the net to try to sort it. In the end, I just decided I really love this guitar and I pulled the plastic film off of the pickguard...WOW what a differnce...no static and the tome bloomed even more. This guitar can produce tones that would bring tears to any guitar loving player's eyes. This guitar just sings like and bird and even in a distortion mode can give out very bell like tones. I kept thinking it doesn't have a coil split function like the one I returned, but really with this guitar you don't need that, because it has such a wide range of tones mostly depending on how you play it. I love the classic '57 pickups and I perfer these as I really love old rock and metal music. To my ears you can get a p-90 sound from this guitar by playing with the controls on it...witch's hats are they???? Love it!

I watched an interview with Pete Townshend and talked about how he got a whammy bar effect from his SGs back in the day. Just for fun I gave it a go and indeed the guitar did just what Pete says it could do. By giving the neck a GENTLE (not rough) pull towards you it creates an effect that is really mindblowing in my opinion. I am not sure if it damages the guitar though so I won't be doing it all the time. I find the SG to be a guitar that is like making love to your wife or girlfriend as it is intimate, passionate and establishes a deep connection of the physical and the spiritual. Isn't that what a good electric should be like? I think so.

Rock on!!!!

Freddie

Excellent HNGD Freddie! That's 2 of us in a couple of days - congrats!! [thumbup] I know what you mean about the natural (orange) burst, I had a tousle between the 2 as well - cherry won out. Enjoy playing her! [biggrin]

I wouldn't worry about giving it a little gentle shaking every once a while to get a vibrato effect, I doubt that it would hurt the guitar all. I shake my all the time. It's actually one of the better features about the SG IMHO.

Great choice,IMO. Just dont do a "Woodstock" treatment to it like Pete did to his! lol Love The Who,he got alot of fantastic tones out of it.

I think Townshend had a special if IIRC, still a damn fine guitar - had one myself a few years back, still regret selling her - heritage cherry too, with the batwing PG - gutted! #-o

Hi All,

This had to go back, but it is just life isn't it. The dealer (who is awesome) gave me another one in the same colour. He handpicked it out ffrom the stock whilst I was in route there. The new one is a real beauty.

I will replace the old pics with shots of the new one very soon.

Freddie

Hi All,

This had to go back, but it is just life isn't it. The dealer (who is awesome) gave me another one in the same colour. He handpicked it out ffrom the stock whilst I was in route there. The new one is a real beauty.

I will replace the old pics with shots of the new one very soon.

Freddie

Mate, if your not happy with it it's cool, you did the right thing. Something like that would gnaw away at me, you'll sleep better too! [thumbup]

i definitely do that Neck Pull back for the whammy effect. Although I once kind of bent it too strong and the entire note/chord went out of whack and just died. Like that whammy sound....then a sharp wail.. and then silence. Definitely going to avoid bending that poor thin neck from now on.

Archived