Gibson Brands Forums

Jimmy Page's LP Custom

WishIHada59

Hi Everyone! I recently fell in love... with Jimmy Page's Black Beauty from the Royal Albert Hall Concert in 1970 (on the DVD) It is my dream guitar, not just a black LP custom but with the bigsby and 3 pickups. So my question is does anyone know more about this guitar? All I know is that he used to play it a lot, but it was stolen and he never got another one. What year is it? and what pickups were in it, from watching the concert footage I saw he had the onriginal middle pup, but different bridge and neck humbuckers (probably didn't use the middle at all) I have been searching for information but there's not much documentation on him ever using this guitar. Anyways I'm open to learning whatever info I can, I know a friend who has a beat 79' custom that I am looking to buy (needs a lot of parts, and has a tack refin.) and I plan to make a clone of JP's guitar so any info you guys got would be greatly appreciated.

Any one want to buy the original Jimmy Page Les Paul Custom (that was stolen). I've got it (along with 50 other guys around the world) and will sell it for $500 grand. I also have a certain harbour bridge for sale....

But seriously, Jimmy's Custom is a beauty. Gibson made him a re-issue recently which he was proudly displaying on the cover of Guitar World magazine a few moths ago. I've never been able to ascertain how much Page used the Custom in the early days of Led Zeppelin, before it was stolen. I know that he used a tele on Led Zep I, but when he was recording Led Zep II (which was Les Paul) I wondered to what extent Led Zep II was a Standard and/or Custom.

Any one want to buy the original Jimmy Page Les Paul Custom (that was stolen). I've got it (along with 50 other guys around the world) and will sell it for $500 grand. I also have a certain harbour bridge for sale....

But seriously' date=' Jimmy's Custom is a beauty. Gibson made him a re-issue recently which he was proudly displaying on the cover of Guitar World magazine a few moths ago. I've never been able to ascertain how much Page used the Custom in the early days of Led Zeppelin, before it was stolen. I know that he used a tele on Led Zep I, but when he was recording Led Zep II (which was Les Paul) I wondered to what extent Led Zep II was a Standard and/or Custom. [/quote']

are you serious!!!!!!!i know it's a rare guitar,but i like the guy and id do whatever it takes to give it back if i had it.:) :) if you did he might give you a reward.

I've never been able to ascertain how much Page used the Custom in the early days of Led Zeppelin, before it was stolen. I know that he used a tele on Led Zep I, but when he was recording Led Zep II (which was Les Paul) I wondered to what extent Led Zep II was a Standard and/or Custom.

The guitar (a 1960) goes back to his pre- Zepplin days and was his main studio guitar for session work before Zepplin. He traded in a Gretch Chet Atkins to get it.

Right, 1960 it was stolen, but I was told by a Brit friend who's pal was on the crew that it was taken in NY.

So Page played it for how long? Certainly no more than 10 years if all the dates are correct.

When I watch Page play on all the DVDs that are out you see him adjusting tone, volume and pickup selection a lot - he was such a finesse master!!!

I know that he used a tele on Led Zep I' date=' but when he was recording Led Zep II (which was Les Paul) I wondered to what extent Led Zep II was a Standard and/or Custom. [/quote']

I recently listened to a old radio interview with Plant and Page. Jimmy said that II was recorded while on the road and he mostly used the Tele. He made a comment about how most people think he used his LP#1 to get the sound, but emphisized the importance of microphone placement which he learned from his session days.

If I can find the link to the interview, I'll post it. It was quite interesting.

If I can find the link to the interview' date=' I'll post it. It was quite interesting.[/quote']

That WOULD be interesting bigrich.

Page has said he thinks his Custom was probably the first Les Paul Custom (if not first Les Paul out-right) in England. A bit like Hank Marvin having the first strat in England. Jimmy got the Custom before Keith Richards came back from the States with a Standard.

Right, 1960 it was stolen, but I was told by a Brit friend who's pal was on the crew that it was taken in NY.

So Page played it for how long? Certainly no more than 10 years if all the dates are correct.

The guitar is a 1960 model, it was stolen during the 1970 tour.

Here's a link to an old interview that talks about a lot of this stuff:

http://www.led-zeppelin.org/reference/index.php?m=int23

Guys...Some of you say the guitar probably doesnt exist anymore...

Did it turn to dust?

Its around, and has more then likely been passed down many times.

Dont forget..The Zeppelin in 1969/1970 wasnt yet LED ZEPPELIN the legends.

The person or persons at the time who took it, didnt know how valuable it would become.

Back then, it wa a 10 year old Gibson.

When Zeppelin played the Masonic Temple in Toronto in 1969 or 1970 im not too sure.

Both Page & Jones left their guitars in dark corners of the venue. In fact, after

sound check there would be almost no one at the scene for hours...Theres your window

right there.

How do I know this? A fellow named Danny Marks played the same day as opening act.

He talked about it on his radio show here in Toronto.

So Pagey...love ya bro...but you gotta keep an eye on your stuff!

Archived