Gibson Brands Forums

Re-Wiring a 1974 Les Paul Signature semi-hollow

Hello

New to this forum and based in the middle of the UK. I have a 1974 Les Paul Signature semi-hollow, pic below, and I need to get the wiring sorted/replaced.

Not sure how many people on here in the UK, but if there is do any of you know where's best place to get it sorted (I'm 40 miles west of Birmingham). It's precious to me (even though I'm not very good) and I don't want it mucked about by someone who says they know what they are doing and they don't.

TIA

DSCF0093.jpg

DSC_0006-1.jpg

It looks to be in nice shape! Can you explain the dark finish on the sides of the cutaways?

It's not been used much for the past 35 years, just for pleasure at home although I did do a stint with a practice big band for a few years. The neck is a darker wood and it looks like they have stained the cutaway prior to laquering to gradually blend into the neck.

Pickups are fine, and seem very powerful to me, it just needs the wiring re-doing.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello

New to this forum and based in the middle of the UK. I have a 1974 Les Paul Signature semi-hollow, pic below, and I need to get the wiring sorted/replaced.

Not sure how many people on here in the UK, but if there is do any of you know where's best place to get it sorted (I'm 40 miles west of Birmingham). It's precious to me (even though I'm not very good) and I don't want it mucked about by someone who says they know what they are doing and they don't.

TIA

DSCF0093.jpg

DSC_0006-1.jpg

Hello and welcome to the Forums!

Congratulations! You have a beautiful Les Paul there! I also have a Les Paul from the Low-Impedance range of Gibson guitars, a '78 Recording:

HPIM5481_zps00b1a831.jpg

Don't forget to post Yours to the "Low-Impedance Guitars" thread of the "Vintage" section, please! Fellow members Grog and Daveg are experts of these instruments, and I am sure they will gladly help You with Your questions.

Best wishes... Bence

I've always wondered two things about the les paul signature:

1. How the 3-way 50, 100, and 250-ohm potentiometer is wired and how it works (I assume it's a lot of capacitors? But what are the values?) and

2. How accurately or dramatically this changes the sound of the pickups?

Anyone have any info on this or answers?

I tried reading that schematic, but my non-engineer brain could not comprehend it.

Archived