Gibson Brands Forums

Removing the Middle pickup

macman

Hey Guys;

Need help with something. I have a Hohner G2T and a Steinberger Spirit Pro. I want to replace the two humbuckers with hotter pickups and completely remove the middle on my Spirit Pro. The middle pickup just gets in the way of my picking and I don't use it at all. That is why I like my Hohner G2T. But I wanted to know if anyone has done this before; how do you like it and what did you use to cover the hole in the middle. I know I can use white tape but if anyone has any other ideas; I am completely open.

I would also be open to just lowering the middle pickup as far as it can go just so that it does not interfere with picking but it only goes down so far.

Thanks much

macman

I would also be open to just lowering the middle pickup as far as it can go just so that it does not interfere with picking but it only goes down so far.

Hi macman,

tape is a bad idea, it might damage the finish and will look ugly pretty soon. Lowering the middle pickup should work, but if the wire comes out from the bottom or there are these rubber blocks below the pickup, you might not get low enough for what you want. In that case you could still remove the pickup (and its wires) and install a dummy pickup housing like these. This way the guitar stays "visually intact".

Bernd

Hi macman,

tape is a bad idea, it might damage the finish and will look ugly pretty soon. Lowering the middle pickup should work, but if the wire comes out from the bottom or there are these rubber blocks below the pickup, you might not get low enough for what you want. In that case you could still remove the pickup (and its wires) and install a dummy pickup housing like these. This way the guitar stays "visually intact".

Bernd

Yes; that is a great idea Bernd. I will go with that.

Thank you.

macman

Archived