Gibson Brands Forums

gibson historic 2003 autenticity

Dranoelos

Hy guys!

Maybe there is someone from you owners of gibson guitars,who can help me PLEASE with this gibson wich I intend to buy from a friend of mine.He doesn't have the certificate of autenticity but he said that in 2003 the Gibson didn't provide this guitar with certificate.

Can anyone help me with identification and some details of this guitar from the photos that I put it here?

As you can see very easy ,the neck was adjusted and it's thinner now.Initially was a "baseball bat" neck. This adjustment can affect the stabitity and the shape of the neck in the future?If somebody wants some more photos i'll send . My email is dominodranoel@yahoo.com.

Thank you so much guys and I'll appreciate any help.

Leo

post-58387-029223500 1374855587_thumb.jpg

post-58387-035764800 1374855646_thumb.jpg

Guest Farnsbarns

Looks good to me, story about COA is true too, I think.

Only negative (to me) is the neck planing. IMO, one of the big plusses of an r8 is the thick neck.

What ever you think of the neck, it has to effect the value, quite a lot, anyone wanting a thinner neck will look for a r0 (60 reissue) and anyone wanting a r0 will look for an r0 serial number.

It does have non original knobs for an r8. It should have top hats but not reflectors. A genuine set of the right knobs will cost peanuts.

Looks good to me, story about COA is true too, I think.

Only negative (to me) is the neck planing. IMO, one of the big plusses of an r8 is the thick neck.

What ever you think of the neck, it has to effect the value, quite a lot, anyone wanting a thinner neck will look for a r0 (60 reissue) and anyone wanting a r0 will look for an r0 serial number.

It does have non original knobs for an r8. It should have top hats but not reflectors. A genuine set of the right knobs will cost peanuts.

Thank you so much for your help! I'm only concerned about stability of the neck. I wrote a message to the Gibson team and they answered so quick ,very professional. They said that I have to ask a pro luthier about the neck problem and they can not evaluate this. About the COA they said that it should be with this guitar even was built in 2003.

How much percentage from the price it takes out the neck problem ,in your opinion?

Thank you again!

Thank you so much for your help! I'm only concerned about stability of the neck. I wrote a message to the Gibson team and they answered so quick ,very professional. They said that I have to ask a pro luthier about the neck problem and they can not evaluate this. About the COA they said that it should be with this guitar even was built in 2003.

How much percentage from the price it takes out the neck problem ,in your opinion?

Thank you again!

So this is the answer from Gibson: "Thanks for the photos. This appears consistent with a 2003 ’58 Les Paul Reissue. This was a Custom Shop model, and would have originally included a COA.

We won’t be able to determine the specific impact of shaving the neck down- we’d recommend a proper evaluation by a qualified luthier to determine current neck stability."

Guest Farnsbarns

Thank you again!

Difficult, for me, it destroys the value because there's plenty of them out there that are right and I'd buy one of those. On the other hand, if it plays and sounds good and I could get it at a snip because of this I'd buy it. I suppose it would half what I'd be prepared to pay. To someone else it may not matter at all, or even be desirable.

Difficult, for me, it destroys the value because there's plenty of them out there that are right and I'd by one of those. On the other hand, if it plays and sounds good and I could get it at a snip because of this I'd buy it. I suppose it would half what I'd be prepared to pay. To someone else it may not matter at all, or even be desirable.

Thank you very much for your answer!

Difficult, for me, it destroys the value because there's plenty of them out there that are right and I'd buy one of those. On the other hand, if it plays and sounds good and I could get it at a snip because of this I'd buy it. I suppose it would half what I'd be prepared to pay. To someone else it may not matter at all, or even be desirable.

So no luthiers out there ....I really need somebody who experimented a shaved neck to tell me if the neck was stable in time and how the sustain was or not affected.

Thanx

Guest Farnsbarns

So no luthiers out there ....I really need somebody who experimented a shaved neck to tell me if the neck was stable in time and how the sustain was or not affected.

Thanx

Oh, yes, depends entirely on the individual piece of wood. I have known a shaved neck to destroy the sound and feel of a guitar that previously had a very resonant neck. I swear 50s necks are more "alive" than 60s. Plenty of people have disagreed with me over the years but I am yet to be swayed.

Oh, yes, depends entirely on the individual piece of wood. I have known a shaved neck to destroy the sound and feel of a guitar that previously had a very resonant neck. I swear 50s necks are more "alive" than 60s. Plenty of people have disagreed with me over the years but I am yet to be swayed.

Yes, I think you are right because I own 2 custom shop reissue strats and you can tell the difference in sound and fell the vibration more consistent to the erlier version wich has a bigger neck.

• 1 year later...

Archived