• +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Becoming a better guitarist?

#21 User is offline   Roach 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Members

Posted 11 March 2016 - 12:19 PM

I am in a similar place. I have had a guitar all my life, My first was a Montgomery Wards Old Kraftsman, which is probably the only vintage guitar that is worth nothing.
Been through allot of guitars over the years, that ended up being put aside for one reason or another, I am now 47 years old and just can consider myself a beginner.
I need to improve and just since getting a new 2015 les paul studio have i learned that playing and practicing are two completely different things, even after having played drums professionally many years.

I found something similar to "the best free guitar lesson ever" or "greatest". The guy heavily recommends "guitar pro" software, but the free lesson starts with a half step/hole step approach to learning to improve your dexterity, accuracy, fluency and speed. The first two exercises alone is what i have needed for all these years. I still cannot get to the fast speed he demonstrates so I havent moved on through the lessons, but that has improved my playing 150%

As far as being able to create stuff, you only need a few chords to make something happen creativity comes from you, not the instrument. I have times i cant think of anything, then i get on a roll and write patterns, riffs, or hooks just like it is nothing. BUT combining rhythms to create songs and then finding a vocal harmony and words is another thing. I am hoping that as i learn the fretboard and scales that i will begin learning something about singing but i really need ear training i can hardly tell if the guitar is tune...

Anyway, i like the post about balancing it all and mostly i like the post about focusing on what it is you decide to focus on. I just wanted to add that what i needed all these years was the revelation that exercises are not the same as playing and do need to be a separate part of your practice. Like up down picking of all the scales while ever slowly increasing speed, up and down over and over and on and on and so on and on till the dude from dragon force says dam he is fast lol Posted Image

(just wanted to also point out that last was a joke. Want to be faster but would rather play tastefully than fast. speed just for mastery and accuracy)
Posted Image
2015 Les Paul Studio (MM)
2000 Les Paul Special w/hums

Year? Ibanez RG120
Yamaha FS-311 7/8ths scale Acoustic

Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401 12" CG 40w
Line 6 Spyder IV 15
Danelectro HT50 in Nifty Fifty cab
Focusrite Scarlett Solo PC USB interface
SM-57 Mic

#22 User is offline   Pinch 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Members

Posted 05 July 2016 - 06:24 AM

I try to learn at least one new thing every time I practice. A riff, a lick, a chord, a solo, a song - doesn't matter as long as it's SOMETHING.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users