Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone El-Capitan V broken truss rod

hantiband

Hello!

I have got an El-Capitan C5 VS (S/N 96030095)

While adjusting the truss rod due to high relief (0,8 mm i.e. 0,0315 inch) it was broken. A 10 mm (0,39 inch) piece remained in the adjusting nut. The truss rod was broken just behind the D washer.

I suppose the thread was seized and/or the steel of the truss rod was week.

I would like to fix this bass because I love its warm deep sound.

Local luthiers are not happy with this job because of the risks. If the fingerboard cannot be loosen and removed in one peace without any damage the frets shall be removed, the fingerboard shall be restored and refretted. The costs are near to the worth of a new bass.

I had an idea. I realized that the truss rod remained in the aluminium U canal in the neck has got still about 10 mm (0,39 inch) thread. I tried to cut the fingerboard beside the first fret (at its head side), remove its peace. Then I scraped the aluminium U canal by a drill to make the end part of the truss rod free. I filed the burr from the end of the broken thread. So that I could reinstall the D washer and the nut. Finally I glued the piece of the fingerboard to the neck.

Other solution was using a StewMac truss rod repair kit. Despite, I think it is for cutting wood hole only, not aluminium U canal.

Does anyone have any other idea to fix the broken truss rod of my El- Capitan?

Where can I purchase a replacement neck mounted with truss rod and fretted fingerboard?

Where can I purchase a fretted fingerboard and a new truss rod?

Thanks for your help.

sorry to hear about your bass, hantiband!

the best way to replace the truss rod is to remove the fingerboard but it can be expensive. for an El Capitan, it might be more cost effective to buy just a new one. stewmac sells fingerboards as do other online retailers but if you have a luthier do the repair, he will be able to get all of the parts he might need. most repair shops will give you quote after looking at the instrument so you will have an idea of what it's going to cost. then you can decide what's best for you and your wallet. good luck, brother!

edit: there is an ebay seller 'riceagemusicandmore' that sells lots of Epi bodies, necks & parts from things that damaged in shipping. maybe you could find a replacement neck with a working trussrod

• 2 months later...

Hello!

I have got an El-Capitan C5 VS (S/N 96030095)

While adjusting the truss rod due to high relief (0,8 mm i.e. 0,0315 inch) it was broken. A 10 mm (0,39 inch) piece remained in the adjusting nut. The truss rod was broken just behind the D washer.

I suppose the thread was seized and/or the steel of the truss rod was week.

I would like to fix this bass because I love its warm deep sound.

Local luthiers are not happy with this job because of the risks. If the fingerboard cannot be loosen and removed in one peace without any damage the frets shall be removed, the fingerboard shall be restored and refretted. The costs are near to the worth of a new bass.

I had an idea. I realized that the truss rod remained in the aluminium U canal in the neck has got still about 10 mm (0,39 inch) thread. I tried to cut the fingerboard beside the first fret (at its head side), remove its peace. Then I scraped the aluminium U canal by a drill to make the end part of the truss rod free. I filed the burr from the end of the broken thread. So that I could reinstall the D washer and the nut. Finally I glued the piece of the fingerboard to the neck.

Other solution was using a StewMac truss rod repair kit. Despite, I think it is for cutting wood hole only, not aluminium U canal.

Does anyone have any other idea to fix the broken truss rod of my El- Capitan?

Where can I purchase a replacement neck mounted with truss rod and fretted fingerboard?

Where can I purchase a fretted fingerboard and a new truss rod?

Thanks for your help.

Happy end:

After visiting a few luthiers and asking advices I decided to fix the bass by myself.

I made a small window at the fingerboard close to the first fret using a low speed a drill. The U canal was visible and touchable this way. I used the drill as a router and removed a part of the U canal to make the and of the truss rod free. I placed the D washer and the nut. The operation was successful. I covered the window by a piece of wooden figured sticking film.

The El Capitan works well!

Help yourself, God helps you!

Archived