Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson or Chibson?

Tenzo

I wish I didn't have to ask this... but unfortunately we live in a world filled with greed, so I do.

I am looking to trade in my fender, which I know is authentic. I have an offer of an amp, tape player, and this so called " Gibson Les Paul Studio Fireburst".

Now in my mind I think that this is authentic, and am willing to take the risk... but I would like as many opinions as I can get.

I firstly want to know if this is authentic and why you think that.

I also want to know if there are any ways to make sure that when I go pick it up, it's still the real deal.

I know this may be asking a lot, but since you are here... what do you think this guitar is worth?

The serial number for this guitar is: 002560505

and he is saying it is Gibson's "Gibson Les Paul Studio Fireburst w/ gold hardware" and includes a gibson case with a combination lock *which he hasn't even set*

There is supposedly a receipt that he still has, which helps, but I have seen people fake receipts over less.

Thanks for Reading!

00n0n_9vkuw0NN4M4_600x450.jpg

00v0v_kuDkk1HGVj6_600x450.jpg

358s554.jpg

01717_eJGzzbvBMeY_600x450.jpg

00606_hwa4Ir79GNb_600x450.jpg

00m0m_4fWVBmuizHd_600x450.jpg

00e0e_GQi5LU8tzb_600x450.jpg

00l0l_9Qa2B7FSFoq_600x450.jpg

00f0f_ktn1zF4CfS7_600x450.jpg

I don't know enough to say real or fake, but if you find it's real, it sure is a nice looking studio!

NHTom

Yeah I think I would enjoy it if it was authentic. I wish I had something with a pick guard though. If I pick this up, I will probably be installing one on my own *even if that means drilling a hole in the middle*. Anyone have any tips? Also, will this material "bullet hole" if I try to drill into it?

That Studio looks genuine to me, as well as the white lined Gibson USA HSC. I'd say $800 - $900 in good condition.

You can confirm with Gibson by emailing the serial# to service@gibson.com and asking for the details - finish, hardware color, pups, etc - which should match Fireburst Studio with gold hardware.

BTW, here's the same year Studio/Finish/Hardware and diff serial - looks the same - http://www.guitar-museum.com/guitar-21841-2006-Gibson-USA-Les-Paul-Studio-FireBurst

That Studio looks genuine to me, as well as the white lined Gibson USA HSC. I'd say $800 - $900 in good condition.

You can confirm with Gibson by emailing the serial# to service@gibson.com and asking for the details - finish, hardware color, pups, etc - which should match Fireburst Studio with gold hardware.

BTW, here's the same year Studio/Finish/Hardware and diff serial - looks the same - http://www.guitar-museum.com/guitar-21841-2006-Gibson-USA-Les-Paul-Studio-FireBurst

Thanks that is hay I was thinking. I still would love as many opinions as possible. What I have found to set alot of them apart is the nut. This guitar is one that is replicated, but most have a generic nut, while this one has a slant on the middle strings.

... What I have found to set alot of them apart is the nut. This guitar is one that is replicated, but most have a generic nut, while this one has a slant on the middle strings.

I prefer that slot cut. When I get a new one, I use a slot file to ease the corners of the D and G slots (and a tad of easement on the A and B slots) toward their tuning post - makes for less of a pinch point.

The warps in the reflections on the back seem to support that it's genuine to my eyes. This kind of orange peel is typical for nitrocellulose finishes on mahogany. At least I find it on all glossy finished mahogany surfaces of my Gibson guitars which all are genuine. On the other hand, I haven't seen any counterfeit personally but only on lots of photographs on the web.

Taking a look at all the pics I couldn't find anything that would make me doubt about this guitar. It looks like it's in pristine condition considering the manufacturing date, and the desiccant bag is still in its case. I think from a far that Big Kahune's idea of pricing matches well.

OK, I never would mount a pickguard on it, but if you want to do so, I recommend to use a metal drill instead of a wood drill. The latter tend to mar finishes around the hole and are well-suited for unfinished surfaces only to my experience. The best way is to work with low revolution speed and smooth, determined cutting pressure. Take care that the drill won't run too deep. The best is to use a drill that closely matches the core diameter of the screw. There should be no problems on the rib since there is no binding in the way. Having this all said, I have to point out one more time that I would never do this to such a beautiful instrument. I am still sore about Gibson USA having done this to my Traditional 2013...

I wish I didn't have to ask this... but unfortunately we live in a world filled with greed, so I do.

I am looking to trade in my fender, which I know is authentic. I have an offer of an amp, tape player, and this so called " Gibson Les Paul Studio Fireburst".

Now in my mind I think that this is authentic, and am willing to take the risk... but I would like as many opinions as I can get.

I firstly want to know if this is authentic and why you think that.

I also want to know if there are any ways to make sure that when I go pick it up, it's still the real deal.

I know this may be asking a lot, but since you are here... what do you think this guitar is worth?

The serial number for this guitar is: 002560505

and he is saying it is Gibson's "Gibson Les Paul Studio Fireburst w/ gold hardware" and includes a gibson case with a combination lock *which he hasn't even set*

There is supposedly a receipt that he still has, which helps, but I have seen people fake receipts over less.

Thanks for Reading!

00n0n_9vkuw0NN4M4_600x450.jpg

00v0v_kuDkk1HGVj6_600x450.jpg

358s554.jpg

00606_hwa4Ir79GNb_600x450.jpg

00e0e_GQi5LU8tzb_600x450.jpg

00l0l_9Qa2B7FSFoq_600x450.jpg

00f0f_ktn1zF4CfS7_600x450.jpg

I would ask the seller to throw in the pink bike (as seen in the reflection on the back of the guitar)... good luck!!

Hello Tenzo,

just for being curious: Keep us informed, please. No further pics required, but always appreciated.

I wish you a good deal. If it plays and sounds as it looks, it must be a great guitar.

Cheers,

capmaster

Archived