Gibson Brands Forums

What is the best year of '59 Reissue historic Les Paul?

Ray D

Hello out there, this is my first entry into the Gibson forum. I need to know what kind of '59 re-issue to buy. I just recently bought a '57 Goldtop VOS which I love, and that one is a 2008. Here are my questions. I see quite a few 2000 or 2001 '59's on ebay. Are they the same specs as the newer '07 & '08 models? Holly headstock, long tenon, ect..? Can you tell me what the differences are, and are the 2000 and 2001 '59's just as good?

Thanks!!

• 5 months later...

Just found this post... so it may not be useful to you now if you have already bought your guitar... but here goes anyway:

It all depends what you're after really. If you want a more exclusive instrument which has finer woods, better craftsmanship and lower production numbers - then buy a 1994-1998 model. They are fabulous guitars.

If you want more accurate specs to 'vintage' 'bursts, then post 2003. Obviously a 2003 model made between Jan-May is most desirable, because they have the certified Brazilian rosewood boards.

Alternatively, the 2009 Anniversary guitars look great too - and are another step closer to the '59 specs. But, again it's entirely subjective.

I guess the standout years are: 1994-98, 1999 (40th Anniversary), 2003, 2007 and 2009.

I have one '97 and two from '03, and I love 'em all. Each guitar is very different - all top notch, but no two are ever the same.

Hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...

IMHO....IT WOULD BE THE PRE 1993 ONES WHEN BRAZILLIAN ROSEWOOD WAS STILL USED IN THE NECK,,,,IT WAS ALSO AT THAT TIME THAT GIBSON WAS MAKING A HUGE COMEBACK AND WAS PUTTING OUT SOME OF THERE BEST STUFF.

I HAVE A 93 59 AND LOVE LOVE LOVE IT......

IT'S HARD TO COMEPARE MY GUITARS AS I HAVE OVER 40 GIBSON;S AND TELE'S AND ABOUT 15 AMPS SO EACH HAS IT'S SPECIAL PLACE IN MYHEART AND IS DIFFERENT TONALLY......AT LEAT THAT'S WHT I TELL MY WIFE EVERY TIME I COME HOME WITH YET ONE MORE AX !!!!

JAMES St. JAMES

• 2 months later...

+1 to Flameburst's post.

I myself have a 2004 R9, and everyone who plays it remarks that the neck is like no other R9 they've played...just a tad slimmer. I'm often asked if it's a Jimmy Page model (shaved neck). :-k It's an awesome guitar.

Good luck in your search, and be sure to post your guitar!

BB

the monster tops of the mid-late 90s and 2003.

lots of good reviews on 2007....some controversy on another forum about gibson returning to the historically correct wood. and of course, the 2009 is seems to be shaping up nicely.

• 5 years later...

Hello,I would like to ask the same question...It seems Gibson has made a lot of these reissues and its helpful to learn from other's experience...

My recent exp.....

I bought a used 2013 R9 and sold it because the neck was a little thick for me..it was a great guitar but while i was in the store I noticed a R7 from 2001 used for 2500. Seemed like a good deal in okay condition(8 out of 10).

It too had a big neck...and weight was a small about more than my 2013 8.7LB.

What years are favorable for these R7, R8, R9. (The R0's neck is a little too thin).

My old LP is a 59 custom but the neck was taken down in 1982 when PRS refretted it for me...

Thanks for any comments!

-Mike

ps A friend of mine also mentioned to me out of 2 LP recent purchase's (he's a working session player of many years) he prefered a chambered LP (that looks to me like a beautiful reissue to me...)

Thanks again for comments...

Archived