Gibson Brands Forums

CBGB the movie

Rabs

I'll probably go and see it. Looks more like a comedy than a rockumentary though.

Yeah its just Alan Rickman with an American accent?? Not quite sure I buy it..... what do you US guys reckon?

Rickman can be hilarious though, given the right role.

Oh yeah hes a GREAT actor.. don't get me wrong, I have always liked his work.. but some actors just don't do accents that well :)

The mystique of CBGBs fascinates me, so I am in! After watching that trailer, I can't wait.

I only got to go to CBGB's once before it was closed. It was late night and there were maybe 20 people in the whole place. But I was at CBGB's ! And it as cool!!!

I cant decide if this looks really good or really bad.. What do you reckon?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1ZNfaOpqKo

CBGB (Country, Blue Grass, and Blues) was a music club at 315 Bowery at Bleecker Street in the borough of Manhattan in New York City..

the club was originally a 'country, blue grass and blues' club that was taken by the punk movement in the 70s/80s by band such as the Ramones, television, patti smith, blondie, talking heads ... hey there was money in punk/new wave!

Ah there's a point here to leture on the differences of punk and new wave ... punk came out of america, new york, early seventies and became popular in the UK (i don't think they started it, malcolm mcclaren saw the new york dolls in america and wanted to manage them, but instead formed the sex pistols). The New York Dolls (before glam rock), The Velvet Underground (Lou Reed), The Stooges (Iggy Pop) were early american punk. Punk was a rejection of everything 'hippie' that was prevalent in the sixties/seventies. consequentially disco was big at the time as well and rock fans usually hated both. it was raw, rude, often cheaply done and amateurishly performed, obviously NOT going to get radio play. New wave was a tamed down radio friendly version of punk. Across the pond in the UK the sex pistols were explosively punk rock, elvis costello was new wave.

Unfortunately, this kind of film will never come to my small home town theater!

But, I've always been a Rickman fan, villians (Die Hard), or comedic roles...

and, it looks like a decent enough film, at least from the preview. So, I

will absolutely check it out, on DVD and/or Netflix, when the time comes. [thumbup]

CB

Archived