Gibson Brands Forums

Old Gibson - model/year?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have a Les Paul Custom s/n 508731 which according to a few web sites was made in 1965 or 1968, how can I get a more accurate date in order to get it valued properly ? Thanks in advance

The Gibson six-digit serial number system was a mess, and is virtually useless in dating instruments of the late 60's early 70's. And in addition to the years listed above, the 500,000's were also used in '74 and early '75.

But.......We like a good mystery around here, so I would start a new and dedicated thread to this question.

To get any "real" answers you're going to need to post a set of detailed photos, and any other information you can furnish such as potentiometer codes. With the proper information furnished, it is fairly simple to put a mfg date on it.

The Gibson six-digit serial number system was a mess, and is virtually useless in dating instruments of the late 60's early 70's. And in addition to the years listed above, the 500,000's were also used in '74 and early '75.

But.......We like a good mystery around here, so I would start a new and dedicated thread to this question.

To get any "real" answers you're going to need to post a set of detailed photos, and any other information you can furnish such as potentiometer codes. With the proper information furnished, it is fairly simple to put a mfg date on it.

+1. Start a new thread with the info above and we should be able to narrow down a year.

Hi,

I have a Les Paul Custom s/n 508731 which according to a few web sites was made in 1965 or 1968, how can I get a more accurate date in order to get it valued properly ? Thanks in advance

I'm going to further complicate your life. 5XXXXX serial numbers were also used in 1974-1975....but...We know it absolutely isn't a 1965 (Because there were NO Les Paul Customs made in 1965) 1968 is a possibility but 1968 Customs are actually quite rare...but...if you can answer a few questions about the guitar I'll bet I can come up with when it was made. Is the guitar any other color than black? If so it wasn't made in 1968. Does it say "Made In The USA" on the back of the headstock? If it does then it absolutely isn't a 1968. If it doesn't then it's 99% likely it was made in 1968. Is there a "dot" above the "I" in the Gibson headstock logo? If so it's very likely a 1968...if not, it's more than likely from 1974-1975. We can also open the control cavity and look at the "pot codes" These are the numbers on the volume and tone pots to narrow it down a bit more but the electronics are easily and often changed. The 1968 LPCs also have different control cavity routs, headstock angles and neck tenons. It's moot if the "Made In The USA" is present and the guitar was made in the 1974-1975 period (Most likely). Post some photos if possible or post the numbers you can see on the volume and tone pots (this'll get to within six months or so of manufacture (if the pots are original). The pickups are probably Patent Numbered sticker ed T-Tops on the '68 and stamped back T-Tops on the 1974-1975. (This is NOT etched in stone-a '74-'75 could very likely have sticker ed PAT T-Tops but a '68 will NOT have a stamped back pup if it's the original pup). There's also the volute...a '68 will not have one...'74-75s will...a '68 will be a one piece mahogany body with a maple cap. A '74-'75 will have a cross banded "pancake" body with an added layer of maple between two thicker pieces of mahogany...See where this gets you and get back to me...

I'm going to further complicate your life. 5XXXXX serial numbers were also used in 1974-1975....but...We know it absolutely isn't a 1965 (Because there were NO Les Paul Customs made in 1965) 1968 is a possibility but 1968 Customs are actually quite rare...but...if you can answer a few questions about the guitar I'll bet I can come up with when it was made. Is the guitar any other color than black? If so it wasn't made in 1968. Does it say "Made In The USA" on the back of the headstock? If it does then it absolutely isn't a 1968. If it doesn't then it's 99% likely it was made in 1968. Is there a "dot" above the "I" in the Gibson headstock logo? If so it's very likely a 1968...if not, it's more than likely from 1974-1975. We can also open the control cavity and look at the "pot codes" These are the numbers on the volume and tone pots to narrow it down a bit more but the electronics are easily and often changed. The 1968 LPCs also have different control cavity routs, headstock angles and neck tenons. It's moot if the "Made In The USA" is present and the guitar was made in the 1974-1975 period (Most likely). Post some photos if possible or post the numbers you can see on the volume and tone pots (this'll get to within six months or so of manufacture (if the pots are original). The pickups are probably Patent Numbered sticker ed T-Tops on the '68 and stamped back T-Tops on the 1974-1975. (This is NOT etched in stone-a '74-'75 could very likely have sticker ed PAT T-Tops but a '68 will NOT have a stamped back pup if it's the original pup). There's also the volute...a '68 will not have one...'74-75s will...a '68 will be a one piece mahogany body with a maple cap. A '74-'75 will have a cross banded "pancake" body with an added layer of maple between two thicker pieces of mahogany...See where this gets you and get back to me...

Hi

Thank you for your reply, in answer to your questions there is no made in the USA on the headstock,, i can not see a dot above the "I"in the logo. the pot code is 137762. If you want any further pictures I can email them to you.

Many thanks for your help

post-58799-038288100 1377652960_thumb.jpg

post-58799-065345500 1377652962_thumb.jpg

post-58799-001473900 1377653016_thumb.jpg

post-58799-081892800 1377653017_thumb.jpg

post-58799-087375300 1377653112_thumb.jpg

Hi

Thank you for your reply, in answer to your questions there is no made in the USA on the headstock,, i can not see a dot above the "I"in the logo. the pot code is 137762. If you want any further pictures I can email them to you.

Many thanks for your help

Based upon the information and photos you've provided I can say with a high degree of certainty that the guitar was made in Nashville in early 1976. While the serial number(which being a six digit stamped number-Nashville-made Les Paul Customs usually had a decal with a serial number beginning with the numerical digits "00") would usually denote a Kalamazoo build. The other features point toward it being a Nashville guitar made in 1976 (The pot codes, the color, the "Nashville" bridge, the maple neck, the logo, the machine heads all put it in the '75-'76 build range with the early '76 pot codes being the clincher).

Archived