Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul "Traditional" or "Standard" Plus

Hi All,

I want to buy a used Gibson Les Paul here in Argentina.

The thing is that a guy is selling one stating that is a Gibson Les Paul Standard Professional Premium Finish cherry sunburts. But when you look at the photos, you can see the Truss cover with the word "Traditional" on it.

I've compared the traditional with the Professional in Gibson web site, and it doesn't look like a Traditional. (see photos attached. But you can see the grover guitar tunner, etc).

Can you give me a hand trying to identify if it is a Standard or a Traditional?

the Serial # is: 121810648

I will appreciate any help you can give me.

Regards,

Gonzalo

post-58717-065260800 1376314050_thumb.jpg

post-58717-099990100 1376314118_thumb.jpg

post-58717-073782400 1376314202_thumb.jpg

Hi All,

I want to buy a used Gibson Les Paul here in Argentina.

The thing is that a guy is selling one stating that is a Gibson Les Paul Standard Professional Premium Finish cherry sunburts. But when you look at the photos, you can see the Truss cover with the word "Traditional" on it.

I've compared the traditional with the Professional in Gibson web site, and it doesn't look like a Traditional. (see photos attached. But you can see the grover guitar tunner, etc).

Can you give me a hand trying to identify if it is a Standard or a Traditional?

the Serial # is: 121810648

I will appreciate any help you can give me.

Regards,

Gonzalo

This indeed appears to be a 2011 Standard, with a "Traditional" truss rod cover.

This indeed appears to be a 2011 Standard, with a "Traditional" truss rod cover.

Thanks for your reply (and sorry for duplicating my answer. I cannot delete my previous comment).

It's only for how it looks that you think it's a LP Standard instead a Traditional? or the Serial Number can relate this guitar to a Standard Plus?

Regards.

To me it seems to be a, sorry for the word game, transitional Les Paul Standard. Gibson USA made in 2011 LP Standards with different kinds of weight relieving, various pickup configurations, different switching options, two makes of output jacks, different trussrod covers and different control covers. I am not sure if they mounted various machine heads, too.

The Neutrik locking jack of this guitar is that of the 2008 Std model which should be chambered, not of a Trad. However, they made modern weight relieved Standards already in 2011 which were different from the 2012 model. The machine heads are Grover keystone locking ones instead of the vintage tulips the Trad should have. The transparent control cover would match the 2008 Std model.

Do you know what pickups this LP is featuring, and does it provide push/pull options?

By the way, my 2011 LP Std Quilt in Regal Purple came stock with locking keystones, Burstbuckers 1 & 2, coil split in two push/pull volume pots which is not humbucking in both PUs operation since the BB 1 & 2 are not reverse (coil) wound/reverse (magnet) polarity, assumably (not sure) modern weight relief, a Switchcraft output jack, an intransparent control cover and a blank trussrod cover.

There obviously were special runs and transitional Les Paul guitars made in 2011, and I believe that the informations of the seller could match this particular guitar.

To me it seems to be a, sorry for the word game, transitional Les Paul Standard. Gibson USA made in 2011 LP Standards with different kinds of weight relieving, various pickup configurations, different switching options, two makes of output jacks, different trussrod covers and different control covers. I am not sure if they mounted various machine heads, too.

The Neutrik locking jack of this guitar is that of the 2008 Std model which should be chambered, not of a Trad. However, they made modern weight relieved Standards already in 2011 which were different from the 2012 model. The machine heads are Grover keystone locking ones instead of the vintage tulips the Trad should have. The transparent control cover would match the 2008 Std model.

Do you know what pickups this LP is featuring, and does it provide push/pull options?

By the way, my 2011 LP Std Quilt in Regal Purple came stock with locking keystones, Burstbuckers 1 & 2, coil split in two push/pull volume pots which is not humbucking in both PUs operation since the BB 1 & 2 are not reverse (coil) wound/reverse (magnet) polarity, assumably (not sure) modern weight relief, a Switchcraft output jack, an intransparent control cover and a blank trussrod cover.

There obviously were special runs and transitional Les Paul guitars made in 2011, and I believe that the informations of the seller could match this particular guitar.

Thanks capmaster.

I don't have much more information. The only additional thing that he states is that he had contacted Gibson and the reply from a guy named Garrett Hamilton was the following:

"Hello XXXXXXXX,

I hope you are having a good weekend. The serial number you have provided is consistent with a 2011 Les Paul Standard “2008” Professional Premium Finish in Heritage Sunburst. This model would have had a Standard truss rod cover when it left the factory.

Thank you for the inquiry.

Best regards,

Garrett Hamilton

Gibson Customer Service

1-800-4GIBSON "

That could be possible?

That could be possible indeed. As I don't want to say truss rod covers anything, I replaced them all with blank ones except that of my Alex Lifeson Axcess LP which shall state in my humble opinion that it's a signature guitar, and of my Epiphone 1960 Tribute Plus since I didn't get a blank one for it.

On the other hand, I sadly have to say that I found the TRCs broken on many of my new bought Gibson guitars nearby one or both of the screw holes. This interestingly applied only to engraved TRCs except the blank of my SG Supra which was broken, too. In any case, I keep the original parts, and even bought a new engraved one for my 2012 Std although I have put it in stock ;) For my L6S guitars I didn't get an engraved one as a spare part.

That could be possible indeed. As I don't want to say truss rod covers anything, I replaced them all with blank ones except that of my Alex Lifeson Axcess LP which shall state in my humble opinion that it's a signature guitar, and of my Epiphone 1960 Tribute Plus since I didn't get a blank one for it.

On the other hand, I sadly have to say that I found the TRCs broken on many of my new bought Gibson guitars nearby one or both of the screw holes. This interestingly applied only to engraved TRCs except the blank of my SG Supra which was broken, too. In any case, I keep the original parts, and even bought a new engraved one for my 2012 Std although I have put it in stock ;) For my L6S guitars I didn't get an engraved one as a spare part.

Thanks a lot for all your help capmaster :)

Archived