Gibson Brands Forums

Change/upgrade ES-339 Pots

Bubba1

OK... so I've managed to break both my volume push/pull pots on my ES-339. I intend on fixing it myself but this will be a first attempt at this sort of thing. My questions to all you electronics savvy guys is this.... Should I replace with the genuine Epiphone pots? Or while I've got it apart, should I go ahead and upgrade to CTS, Bourns, or Alpha (any general preference? Should I upgrade the tone pots while I've got it all outside the body? Is there anything I should look out for or any tips to get a good job?

I assume you did not buy it new or you would be getting them replaced for free with the warranty. That said, I would upgrade. I would not use bournes, their quality seems to have dropped. I used Dimarzios, which were CTS and they are working fine. I did a thread a week or so ago about doing this. here is a link:

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/104313-rubys-new-guts/

If you have any specific questions, I'll be glad to help in any way I can.

God bless, Spamonkis

I assume you did not buy it new or you would be getting them replaced for free with the warranty. That said, I would upgrade. I would not use bournes, their quality seems to have dropped. I used Dimarzios, which were CTS and they are working fine. I did a thread a week or so ago about doing this. here is a link:

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/104313-rubys-new-guts/

If you have any specific questions, I'll be glad to help in any way I can.

God bless, Spamonkis

Actually I did buy it brand new. The reason I want to fix it myself (I use the word s "WANT TO" for lack of a better term)is that I was looking somewhere on the Epiphone website and it said in so many terms that shipping both ways to the Epiphone repair center would be my responsibility. I am assuming that shipping costs on a guitar would be astro-priced and figured I could fix it myself a whole lot cheaper than spending another $150 or more??? on a $400 guitar. I bought the guitar online from Sweetwater. Do you think I'd be better off referring back to them first?

Thanks Spamomonkis

Have you looked into where the nearest authorized Gibson warranty center is? If there is not one nearby and you know a good local luthier, have him call Gibson. If they need a warranty center in the area, they may make him it!

God bless, Spamonkis

Have you looked into where the nearest authorized Gibson warranty center is? If there is not one nearby and you know a good local luthier, have him call Gibson. If they need a warranty center in the area, they may make him it!

God bless, Spamonkis

No have not checked that. I would think it would be Guitar Center in Oklahoma City, But don't know that for a fact. I was thinking that since I did not buy the guitar there they might balk at fixing mine. I'll check into that as well. Thanks Buddy!

Archived