Gibson Brands Forums

Er... new... something...or other....!

AndyK

JTM 45...

no?

Yes, my friend, it is! It is one of the earlier models, 1991 I think. However, it has had a complete overhaul by Marshall about 6 months ago, pretty much new everything. I haven't even plugged it in, and I love it! [blush]

Wow!

Great score, Andy!....................[drool]

Yes, my friend, it is! It is one of the earlier models, 1991 I think.

It could pass for being much older. If anyone asks just say 'Vintage...' and swagger off slowly.........lol!

Seriously, though. Nice bit of kit. [thumbup]

P.

Gosh, it is loud! I've been messing around with pedals, but I am seriously thinking of getting a PPIMV fitted.

That's the route I'd take as well. I have a friend who does them, but he's here in the states. Don't know of a kit, but a schematic shouldn't be too hard to find. Bet that sucker sounds amazing opened up! [thumbup]

I found an amp bloke about 25 mins drive away, so I dropped it off this morning. He's been looking at schematics online, and I requested to have the MV in the Presence position, as advised here. Should be ready in a few days' time... [thumbup]

I found an amp bloke about 25 mins drive away, so I dropped it off this morning. He's been looking at schematics online, and I requested to have the MV in the Presence position, as advised here. Should be ready in a few days' time... [thumbup]

Sweet amp! Congrats! I own a jtm45 and I love it. You made me wanting to do the mod to mine. I'm gonna start searching the NE in USA. Good luck with it!

I'm getting some excellent sounds - I can only describe it as like the glorious sound of breaking glass (for some reason). A lovely 70s crunch.

I plugged my LP Classic on neck p/u (my favourite) into the hi-output treble channel, with everything on mid-way, and it was a bit bass-boomy. So, I played around and ended up with bass on 0, mid on 2 and treble on 3. Then I cross-linked into the bass channel and have ended up with both drives on about 6. The master is on about 2, which is comfortable room loudness. I'm still playing, and may well reduce the drive a bit further, or perhaps just cut it back by reducing guitar volume to 8. For a clean-ish sound, I switch to the bridge p/u, which I have cut the tone down to about 2, which gives tonal parity with the neck p/u.

For lead boost, I'm using the excellent Roger Mayer (analogue) Voodoo boost pedal I've had for years. [thumbup]

I'm very happy! But now, I have 4 amps, so I think I'd better sell one or two. [blush]

• 2 weeks later...

I've sold one amp. But man, the market is SO flat it's unbelievable. I have another I bought in VGC for £480 less than a year ago, and I'm struggling to get half of that now! :unsure:

Anyway, hopefully I should have sold it soon, along with a spare 4x12 Marshall cab. So now... I'm wanting to buy a very nice Marshall speaker cab. Only trouble is, I don't know much about them. I've got a 1960A currently, but some say that others are more suited to getting a vintage 70s sound. I'd appreciate your opinions on the 425A, 1960AHW, 1960AX or 1960TV.

We all officially hate you now cause of the marshall...it's like gum in school..do you have some for everyone?..no?....j/k nice find..

cabs...well if you don't mind spending a little extra you could always get a reeves cab......SEE HERE..nice cabs loaded with vintage purples ( 70's Hiwatt fane clones)..or you can order just the speakers at $129 each and drop them into a cab you already have...just a thought.

That's a fabulous find Andy,congrats.Have you daisy-chained channel I into channel II yet?If not you should give it a try by running a cable from channel I low gain input to the hi gain input of channel II and plugging the guitar into the hi gain of channel I.Turn the volume of Channel II right back to zero and put the volume of channel I top high.Very very gradually increase the volume control of channel II and you'll get a fabulous overdrive tone just like Jimi used to get.Cheers.

Those amps are great. I also have one of the 50 watt reissue plexi's. That sucker is loud. Ive tried several attenuators but they seem to compress the sound a bit. This amp really sounds better wide open but its too loud for most settings. Can anyone recommend a tech to do a master volume mod in the Los Angeles area?

That's a fabulous find Andy,congrats.Have you daisy-chained channel I into channel II yet?If not you should give it a try by running a cable from channel I low gain input to the hi gain input of channel II and plugging the guitar into the hi gain of channel I.Turn the volume of Channel II right back to zero and put the volume of channel I top high.Very very gradually increase the volume control of channel II and you'll get a fabulous overdrive tone just like Jimi used to get.Cheers.

Thanks for the tip, mate! [thumbup] I have done the daisy-chaining, but not done that with the volume controls. At the moment, I have both on about 5. I will give it a go tonight.

Anyone else got an opinion on the speaker cabs?

Have you daisy-chained channel I into channel II yet?If not you should give it a try by running a cable from channel I low gain input to the hi gain input of channel II and plugging the guitar into the hi gain of channel I.Turn the volume of Channel II right back to zero and put the volume of channel I top high.Very very gradually increase the volume control of channel II and you'll get a fabulous overdrive tone just like Jimi used to get.Cheers.

Best tip for use with 4 input Marshalls ever.. works with the 18 and 20 watt ones as well as the big boys. [thumbup]

Well, I tried turning channel 1 right up, but there was too much gain. However, I tried swapping over (plugging into hi-gain on the bass channel, and daisy-chaining the other way), and it sounds very nice indeed! Both gains on about 5, all EQs very low.

And, having sold two amps, I have ordered a 1960AX 4x12 cab, with G12 Celestian 25W greenbacks. Should be here this week!! [drool]

Archived