Gibson Brands Forums

Pick guards? On or off?

dslyecix

Is this just preference? What do you guys prefer on your LPs? I only have an Epi LP Standard (some day when I actually have a job, aka after uni), but I tried taking the pick guard off the other day and had a LOT of trouble playing with it gone. I suppose when I play I kind of use the guard as a gauge as to where my hand is, with my pinky touching it lightly. Without it I feel lost.

Would there be any reason to take it off and try to become sufficient playing that way? I do hope someday to own a true Gibson LP as well as an SG, which I know has a flat pick guard, so I'd have to learn to play without it anyways, right?

What do you guys prefer and why?

If it's on a figured top' date=' then off. On a plain top or a solid color, then on.[/quote']

Gotta disagree with ya there. I love figured tops, but the pickguard adds a lot to the guitar. I love that full looking body. My flamed LP looks delicious with it's brand new pick guard. Especially since the hardware is gold. I guess to each his own!

Wow quick, replies! See, visually I think for most colours/types of LPs I like the pick guard on. I find it fills it out, adds something to the look of it.

Do you guys notice a difference in playability between the two? I don't really want to become that dependent on the guard being there, but I suppose it's something I can adjust to if I have to.

I left the guard off mine simply because I thought the top looks too pretty to cover up and because I couldn't bring myself to drill holes in her. I used to have a cheap copy with the guard on. Even though it was screwed tightly, it would vibrate and cause an annoying buzz that I could hear when playing unplugged. I finally wedged a piece of matchbook or some other thin cardboard under it to stop the buzzing.

If the guard is already on, I wouldn't remove it, because you then see the drill holes. If you get a new one, try playing for a while with the guard off. I think you'll find that it doesn't take too long to get used to playing without it. You can always put it on later if you want.

That's one thing I noticed about the guard being off. My Epi has screw holes obviously, do all new LPs come with the pick guard off? Or do some come off/on? I know having a guitar that nice I couldn't stand seeing screw holes in her with no guard attached :(.

Let me elaborate. I think LPs look fine with or without. There is something about the look of a '59 burst that just seems right with that creamy triangle on there. A wine red LP doesn't look right without one. There are many other examples.

All that being said though, I can't bring myself to take a drill to this;

lp_after.jpg

I believe you've touched upon a controversial subject that may make several months to resolve peacefully...possibly years!!

Anyways...here's the right answer :(

No pickguard on a Gibson USA LP with a burst, except LP Classics - all Classics get the pickguard. All plain top Gibson USA LPs also should have the guards installed.

All Custom Shop LPs get the guard, regardless of the top.

Picture086.jpg

Let me elaborate. I think LPs look fine with or without. There is something about the look of a '59 burst that just seems right with that creamy triangle on there. A wine red LP doesn't look right without one. There are many other examples.

All that being said though' date=' I can't bring myself to take a drill to this;

[img']http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/2manyGuitars/lp_after.jpg[/img]

Want me to do it for you hehe ? That said, i must warn you, i have a glass eye and my hands shake violently. hehe :(

Saturn, is that a Les Paul Studio Plus in your avatar ? If so i have the same axe. I changed my knobs for Gold ones though and put the guard. I know they seem hard to come by, but they are studios so i didn't bother me to drill holes or make it inauthentic to original specs. I love mine to death - i assume you like yours too :(

Visually, it's a matter of taste, personally I like to see more wood and less plastic. Technically, it's a matter of playing style. In certain circumstances it helps to have somewhere to rest your hand or fingers, such as fingerstyle picking or single note lead lines. In fact, on archtops such as the L-5, Super 400 or Byrdland, it's not even called a pickguard, it's called a finger rest. And since the Les Paul was really developed as a solid body "archtop" with it's raised pickguard (just like to hollowbody archtops), it is techinically a finger rest on a LP.

What gives us the choice is the existance and location of the rear pickup. You can rest your ring and/or pinky fingers on the bridge pickup mounting ring, or like I do, grab the bottom and front edge with those two fingers. If you look at any well aged and well played LP without a pickguard, there will always be finish wear in this area. If we hadn't taken off the pickguards the finish would still be in tact. The best example of this I can think of is Dickie Betts' (Allman Brothers) old gold top. It looks like someone took a grinder and sanded the finish off in an "L" shape around the bottom and front or the bridge pickup.

If you try playing an acoustic archtop without a finger rest, your right hand is lost in midair when you stop strumming and try to do a fingerstyle or single note lead line. Resting the edge of your hand across the bridge is really not enough when the strings are 1" off the body.

So according to that criteria and my playing style, my LP Standard, ES-345 and L-5CES have no pickguard/finger rest (because they have bridge pickups), and my acoustic L-7 has a finger rest (see avatar).

All that being said though' date=' I can't bring myself to take a drill to this;

[img']http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/2manyGuitars/lp_after.jpg[/img]

Couldn't agree more. Mine isn't a Gibson, I made it myself so drilling a couple more holes isn't an issue but like you said I just couldn't see covering up such a nice quilted top...

l_5428ec3df7f37c37d0db480005278a9f.jpg

I used to like them better off, but the older I get the more I like the classic look with them on. Although once you seen a couple off with a great top it would be hard to put one on like the beautys shown here. I think for sure on with a Les Paul custom it just seems right.

Yep, leave it off. Its too darn pretty to cover up.

I would never even think of drilling the holes to have one put on.

Think of Strat owners (im one)...They dont post pics of their guitars half as much as Gibson owners.

Why?...

They arent as pleasing to the eye.

i put a pickguard to this one... it has a great looking top... but i couldnt live without the pickguard on, as i do the same as you, i put the pinky there from time to time... also i really like the way Les Pauls look with the p/gs on... without them it seems like they arent complete.

DSC00697.jpg

DSC00663.jpg

I just had a short playing session with mine off... and I must say I did adjust rather quickly to it. I think if I ever get money for a real nice one though... I'll probably be leaving it off as long as possible... I'd hate to have to drill holes :). Gibson should invent some type of clip-on pickguard that doesn't mar the finish at all...

Maybe that would be an awesome idea for a mod, the screws of the pickguard replaced by tiny suction cups or something... hmm.

Gibson didn't invent one' date=' but one of the forum members did...

[img']http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v422/BobbyLee/PG2.jpg[/img]

Here's some more info...

http://www.gibson.com/wiki/Pickguards.ashx

That's real nice! If I ever get a nice Gibson I'll be looking into those for sure!

I actually just took the pickguard off my Epi and I'm going to leave it like that for a long time. I took a black permanent marker and kind of filled in the holes so at least they're not jumping out at you with the exposed wood. It's a light tobacco burst, so it blends in alright.

Want me to do it for you hehe ? That said' date=' i must warn you, i have a glass eye and my hands shake violently. hehe :)

Saturn, is that a Les Paul Studio Plus in your avatar ? If so i have the same axe. I changed my knobs for Gold ones though and put the guard. I know they seem hard to come by, but they are studios so i didn't bother me to drill holes or make it inauthentic to original specs. I love mine to death - i assume you like yours too :)[/quote']

It is a Plus. I got it about three years ago and still love it. I might try to find a way to put the guard on temporarily without drilling holes just to see what it looks like. Of course Gibson started putting out the Premium Plus last year for about the same price I paid for this Plus. Doh!!

Archived