Gibson Brands Forums

Hummingbird pics

Nealsey

Here's a pic of my Hummingbird I got from Dawsons in Basingstoke a couple of years back.

It's a far better guitar than it has the right to be for the price and if you re looking for an acoustic to gig with or

Just play around indoors with, I can thoroughly recommend them.

image_zps288051d0.jpg

Love your natural Hummingbird, Nealsey, and I know its tone is excellent! Congratulations on finding it! I also bought my Epi Hummingbird used! Epiphone Hummingbirds are truly amazing and great guitars!. My 2008 Heritage Cherry Burst Hummingbird was bought used for just $199, and is in almost mint condition. Very sweet nectar tone. The tone seems very close to the sweet clear nectar tone of the Gibson model. And I find it blends nicely the human voice. A few pics of my bird below, sorry the pics are small, you can click on them to see em better! I use Elixir 80/20 nanoweb lights...and replaced the plastic pins with black ebony and abalone wood bridge pins...I'm telling you this thing is AMAZING!

....Short Epi HB promo video link ...OK...now it's time for everybody else post THEIR beautiful hummingbird pics! !

I was really suprised when I first got mine, tone and build quality is excellent and for the price it's a fantastic a acoustic.

You've definitely got that right! Mine surprised me also! Congrats! Yours is a beauty!...I finally got my HB pics in here in the above entry. I would love to see pics of others who own an Epi Hummingbird!

I know Dawsons in Basingtoke very well (it's one of my three local guitar shops - Dawsons, Guitar Village & Andertons) - great shop and very helpful bunch.

I was looking to buy a Hummingbird a couple of years ago from them but the only one they had that was fresh in the box was the biggest POS I've ever seen. God knows how it got through QA as the bracing looked like it had been hacked out with a cold chisel, there was glue runs everywhere inside and more blems in the finish than you could count.

Not knocking Dawsons as the guy had already said that it'd only come in that morning so hadn't been opened and checked plus he looked even more horrified at the state of it than I was.

What did bemuse me though was the fact that he wouldn't sell me the one on display (which was perfect) as they could only sell display guitars if they had no boxed stock eusa_wall.gif

Came away with an EJ200CE from them instead so maybe it was just fate

I know Dawsons in Basingtoke very well (it's one of my three local guitar shops - Dawsons, Guitar Village & Andertons) - great shop and very helpful bunch.

I was looking to buy a Hummingbird a couple of years ago from them but the only one they had that was fresh in the box was the biggest POS I've ever seen. God knows how it got through QA as the bracing looked like it had been hacked out with a cold chisel, there was glue runs everywhere inside and more blems in the finish than you could count.

Not knocking Dawsons as the guy had already said that it'd only come in that morning so hadn't been opened and checked plus he looked even more horrified at the state of it than I was.

What did bemuse me though was the fact that he wouldn't sell me the one on display (which was perfect) as they could only sell display guitars if they had no boxed stock eusa_wall.gif

Came away with an EJ200CE from them instead so maybe it was just fate

Wiggy,

My favorite shop is guitar village, it's like a Mecca to all things guitar :)

Wiggy,

My favorite shop is guitar village, it's like a Mecca to all things guitar :)

It doesn't have the same atmosphere that it did a few years ago though - I particularly miss Gavin who was always a laugh, also little things like discretionary discounts on strings and stuff if you were a regular customer.

It doesn't have the same atmosphere that it did a few years ago though - I particularly miss Gavin who was always a laugh, also little things like discretionary discounts on strings and stuff if you were a regular customer.

True but the stock is always wonderfully presented and lots of it, I walk round there in a daze sometimes :)

Dawsons don't give much away either, did manage a gig bag from GV when I got my Sheraton though :)

a562a72d-9467-4663-b611-8ce3f984994b_zps41c74fac.jpg

Picture of Humming bird artist I picked up for $72.00 brand new.

It had a couple of flaws in the finish.

I do guitar refinishing, so I was able to repair the finish for not cost, and a couple of hours time.

Please excuse the fuzzy picture,

• 4 months later...

Just bought a used Hummingbird online, Heritage Cherry Sunburst.. Won't be here till next week, can't wait to get it. This will be Epiphone acoustic #4, and ALL have far exceeded expectations.

Got it online for $219.

mark

Just bought a used Hummingbird online, Heritage Cherry Sunburst.. Won't be here till next week, can't wait to get it. This will be Epu acoustic #4, and ALL have far exceeded expectations.

Got it online for $219.

mark

Great price Mark..let us know how it turns out when you get your Hummingbird. I like my 6 yr old Hummingbird so much, that I am considering getting a second, and new one with the Pro..pick up in it. So I'll be interested in seeing how you like yours! thx GL

post-45139-065599800 1389458203_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

OK, here's a few pics of my new used Epiphone Hummingbird...

DSCN2143_zpsafd48cd9.jpg

It's a 2012, and it's a beautiful player. Put Martin Darco strings on it, and I am going to install a bone saddle and try a set of Gibson Masterbilt 11's probably later today...

DSCN2144_zpsd5817667.jpg

I bought my first Epiphone acoustic guitar last fall...this is now my 4th. I am still amazed at the quality of these guitars, no matter what model...they haver a nicely complex tone and a ringing quality that I have not found on other acoustics in the last 55 years of playing them. I think you can spend several times the money and not find a better sounding and better playing acoustic guitar than an Epiphone.

DSCN2146_zpsa2c9a83d.jpg

FWIW, I also have an acoustic EL00, an EJ 160e A/E John Lennon, and a Masterbilt DR 500P all maple acoustic.

Mark...that is one beautiful color Hummingbird you have..thanks for sharing...unfortunately the new Hummingbird Pro's seem to be a rather strange Orange, and the Gibson Hummingbird are a rather drab brown. Gibson however still strangely insists that they are Heritage Cherry. LOL!. ... While there are a few people who do not care for the Hummingbird real Heritage Red Cherry Burst, most do, and your beautiful Cherry Hummingbird color is the color that most people recognize the world over. Just beautiful! An eye grabber on any stage. An eye magnet for any audience member listening to you play.

I am finding that various brands of strings really makes a lot of difference in the tone on this Hummingbird...Anyone have a brand they recommend? I have a very old set of Martin Darco lights on it right now, and I have several other brands here to try - Ernie Ball Earthwoods, Gibson Masterbilt, and a few other odds and ends...and a bone saddle coming soon, too. Should be interesting to experiment.

Favorite strings for your Epiphones?

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought my 'used' Hummingbird (Cherry Burst) 2 years ago.....I put a pair of 'light' strings on it but a friend of mine said I should use 'mediums'......anyone concur with my buddy?

Chuck...No I do not concur with your buddy. In my opinion you should use light strings on your Hummingbird (.12-- .53) This is the guage they came with and should supply all the tone you could ask for..heavier mediums strings will only put more strain on the bridge and your fingers, and produce very little more tone if any. Hummingbirds are lightly built and should not have strings heavier than supplied at the time of production. This does not mean you can not use mediums without your guitar falling apart, but light strings (.12 to .53) are best and some people even use lighter strings like .11 sets ...I use Elixir nanoweb 80/20 lights (.12--.53) on my Epi Bird. And btw...Gibson uses light guage strings on their gorgeous $3000 original Gibson Hummingbird, which should tell you something. Good luck!

Chuck...No I do not concur with your buddy. In my opinion you should use light strings on your Hummingbird (.12-- .53) This is the guage they came with and should supply all the tone you could ask for..heavier mediums strings will only put more strain on the bridge and your fingers, and produce very little more tone if any. Hummingbirds are lightly built and should not have strings heavier than supplied at the time of production. This does not mean you can not use mediums without your guitar falling apart, but light strings (.12 to .53) are best and some people even use lighter strings like .11 sets ...I use Elixir nanoweb 80/20 lights (.12--.53) on my Epi Bird. And btw...Gibson uses light guage strings on their gorgeous $3000 original Gibson Hummingbird, which should tell you something. Good luck!

I agree 100% light or even lighter seem to be the way to go these days more and more manufacturers are putting more thought into compounds and the lights seem to sing more than ever. I use masterbuilt lights a friends uses elixir lights and yet another uses D'adario lights my dr 500 a Pro Series 5 P5J takamine and a Martin D28 they all sound close and amazing

"some people even use lighter strings like .11 sets"

cliffmac, thanks for your advice!! I took it back to Guitar Center (where I purchased it) and had a 'basic setup performed'.......had the tech put 'extra-light' strings on it.....they sound just fine!!

Archived