Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Classic vs Les Paul Classic Custom

Gibson Artist

Could anyone tell me the difference between a Les Paul Classic and Classic Custom? Aside from just specs, is one higher priced? Do they still make both? I saw 2 of them for sale recently but was curious what the difference is and what they both retail for new.

A Classic is more like a Traditional with a 60s neck and hot pickups the 469R and 500T..

The Classic Custom was more like a custom lite if you were with a diamond headstock inlay and triple binding and I think they had 57 Classics in them.

Or something like that.. Neither model is made any more.. both very different beasts there but both GREAT guitars :)

Basically, the LP Classic, is based on a "Standard," spec wise, with hotter 500T

and 496R Ceramic pickups, and some varying traits, depending on the era it was/is

produced in. Mine has the wider binding, in the cutaway. Earlier models, as

well as later versions, have the narrower binding, in the cutaway. Some say "Les

Paul Model" on the headstock, and some (again, like mine) say "Les Paul Classic."

Some models had the "aged" fret makers, like mine...other's don't.

My (1999) "Classic" LP: "Honeyburst"

DSC_0023.jpg

DSC_0025.jpg

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Classic-Custom.aspx

The LP "Classic Custom," is based on the LP Custom, without the back body binding.

It is NO longer in production. Was a "limited production edition," at it's inception.

Came "stock" with Classic '57 pickups, and Chrome hardware, with acrylic neck

position markers, and headstock inlays, and "baked maple" fingerboard. Hence,

the considerable price difference, to the LP Custom. It IS, however, and outstanding

guitar, all the way around! (I know, I own the one...in "Gold Top!"...below.)

2011 Classic Custom "Gold Top"

DSC_0012-2.jpg

DSC_0005-3.jpg

Exact spec's you can look up, on various sites...including Gibson's.

Oh, and I payed pretty much the same price, for both of mine, new! Albiet, 12 years

apart...the Classic Custom, being the last purchase.

CB

Basically, the LP Classic, is based on a "Standard," spec wise, with hotter 500T

and 496R Ceramic pickups, and some varying traits, depending on the era it was/is

produced in. Mine has the wider binding, in the cutaway. Earlier models, as

well as later versions, have the narrower binding, in the cutaway. Some say "Les

Paul Model" on the headstock, and some (again, like mine) say "Les Paul Classic."

Some models had the "aged" fret makers, like mine...other's don't.

My (1999) "Classic" LP: "Honeyburst"

DSC_0023.jpg

DSC_0025.jpg

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Classic-Custom.aspx

The LP "Classic Custom," is based on the LP Custom, without the back body binding.

It is NO longer in production. Was a "limited production edition," at it's inception.

Came "stock" with Classic '57 pickups, and Chrome hardware, with acrylic neck

position markers, and headstock inlays, and "baked maple" fingerboard. Hence,

the considerable price difference, to the LP Custom. It IS, however, and outstanding

guitar, all the way around! (I know, I own the one...in "Gold Top!"...below.)

2011 Classic Custom "Gold Top"

DSC_0012-2.jpg

DSC_0005-3.jpg

Exact spec's you can look up, on various sites...including Gibson's.

Oh, and I payed pretty much the same price, for both of mine, new! Albiet, 12 years

apart...the Classic Custom, being the last purchase.

CB

Thanks for the info. I was considering a Classic for around 1500?

Thanks for the info. I was considering a Classic for around 1500?

Well, they can vary, quite a bit, price wise. Depending on year(s)

made, specific (more sought after) spec's, etc. And, of course,

overall condition. But, 1,500 seems "ok,"...I've seen them for less,

and, a LOT more, too. $1,400 is what I paid for mine New, years ago.

It was an OK deal=price, but probably not "great," back then. But, it

was EXACTLY what I was looking for, at that time, right down to the

type of figured top. So....

Good Luck...they are awesome Les Paul's! [thumbup]

CB

I know nothing about a Les Paul Classic. But I do own a Classic Custom.

I think it's a great guitar. Well made and high quality.

Perhaps to get the baked maple in peoples hands but that's just speculation.

So one difference I know is the fretboard.

If you prefer ebony over rosewood consider the Classic Custom.

The baked maple is hard and fast like ebony. If not, go for the Classic.

Or better yet, play them both and see what you like.

I could never buy a guitar based on someones opinion.

I have to play it first.

Good luck.

In the UK a 1960 Classic for $1500 would be considered to be a bargain. Not sure about the going rate where you are. It also depends on the year the guitar was made.

As CB hinted in post #3 the earlier versions were slightly differently built compared with those later on. 1994 - 1995 seem to be the transition years with some features found on both models.

The original idea was to make something half-way between a Standard and the recently introduced 1959 re-issue but with hotter p'ups and a slimmer neck profile.

These '89 to around '95 examples tend to be priced higher than the later ones BUT any increase in value of the earlier ones is often balanced out on some of the later ones having fancier tops such as CB's gorgeous instrument pictured above.

The original intention was for the Classics to be all 'Plain-Top' but, again from around '94, Plus and Premium-Plus maple was used more frequently.

The dating system is simple.

The '89 ones were stamped 9 XXX ('1989 and production number); 1990 - 1999 were Y XXXX (where Y was the last digit of the year number) and from 2000 - 2006 they went (0Y XXXX as before)

P.

The dating system is simple.

The '89 ones were stamped 9 XXX ('1989 and production number); 1990 - 1999 were Y XXXX (where Y was the last digit of the year number) and from 2000 - 2006 they went (0Y XXXX as before)

P.

Must be 2000 - 2008 because the serial number of the black classic in question starts with 08 and my 2007 LPC starts with 07... Just sayin'... :rolleyes:

Must be 2000 - 2008 because the serial number of the black classic in question starts with 08 and my 2007 LPC starts with 07... Just sayin'... :rolleyes:

OOPS!

Didn't check. Memory not what it, erm,,,, eh..... pardon?

Yes, of course it's 2000 - 2008.

My bad!

Nor did I notice any reference to a black Classic so my eyesight is obvioucy gionx wrung tuu.

P.

EDIT : Saw the second thread with the ebony-finish Classic.

I'd not pay $1500 for a black Classic from 2008 but YMMV.

I DID, OTOH, love this bit in the sales pitch;

"Here's a link to a guy playing the Classic pretty well. If you buy this guitar, you'll be able to play just like him."

Is he offering a money-back guarantee on that point?......

And Dave! I notice from your post in that thread your (clearly very happy) 07 is in 'Cheeryburst"! Nice!

P.

Archived