Gibson Brands Forums

Just a ukulele

Buc McMaster

Just coming off a pretty bad case of the flu or something similar. And I'm sure forty years of cigarettes haven't helped, but my pipes aren't what they used to be...........but here's a spur of the moment rendition of one of those songs that will live as long as people listen to music........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReSDTzt5rww

Buc,

I hate to think of how good your voice might have been without 40 years of cigarettes to mellow it.

Just for the record, while a lot off us think of this as a Beatles tune, it was written by Meredith Wilson in 1957 for the Broadway musical "The Music Man".

Always loved that tune though from the more sappy side of the Fab-catalogue. (And no, absolutely not Lennon-McCartney).

You sit on the floor and play - like a child. And gives it justice.

Think I would have likes an outdoor take of this one - with a choir og free singing birdies in the background.

Never too late to wish for a take 2 next spring.

I always said : More grown-ups down on the floor.

Not least therefor I'm totally in.

Don't feel too bad about the smoking. I always figured Sinatra's voice improved with age regardless that he complained allegedly at one recording session with Jobim that a clinker was due to too many Chesterfields.

The piece itself is an example of a classic tune that works well outside a "musical" play and can last a long time.

As for "adults" sitting on the floor... I can and occasionally do, but more "adult" I get with the years, the less it's my preference. Sitting in Seiza is... perhaps something other... <grin>

m

Thanks, Nick, for the heads up on the author of the tune.....I don't think I ever bothered to check! Grown ups on the floor sounds a bit like a coffee clatch or something - I'm in! We'll worry about getting up later.

Yes, Dan, I am an addicted ukulele player now. I will admit to detuning the Martin and banishing it to the back of the closet......it's that bad!

And Wily..... Yes, a uke can be reverse strung, but you may run into nut slot problems, much as a guitar. And in the case of this Collings, bridge slots as well. The first uke I bought was a right handed Collings with the same wrap-around bridge with string slots to match right handed stringing. Not a huge deal. I did custom order this one left handed though.

Thank you folks for tolerating me and my uke here.....I promise not to overdo it.

Archived