Gibson Brands Forums

History of the Gibson Corporate Logo?

Flavum

I wasn't sure where to post this, but this sub-forum seemed most appropriate. Hope it's OK.

As the subject says, I'm wondering about the history of Gibson's corporate logo (as opposed to headstock logos). I have a specific example that I'd like to know about. When did the swirly, splashing-water graphic first appear? It's pictured here on the back of the June 1975 price list. I've also seen it on some Gibson straps on eBay that sellers are claiming are from the '60s. I personally believe that '70s (Norlin) is more likely, but am unsure. Does anyone have any specifics? Or maybe a Gibson contact that could answer my question? Many thanks! Tom

6-75Gibson.jpg

Thanks for the info. I've checked eBay listings for vintage Gibson ads, and the graphic wasn't used in the 1969 ads I saw, but was used in 1973. There's a gap in there that I'd like to narrow down. Appreciate the input!

The stylized "Gibson" font logo without the flowers or bubbles or whatever dated back to about 1957. I have a 1968 Thor bass amp that has a logo on a tube chart that's very close to the "Gibson" logo but again, without the waves or bubbles. Something tells me that 1970 is the magic year (which makes it a "Norlin" thing). At this point in time is when the interior labels on Gibson semis went from orange ovals to the rectangular purple and white jobs with your logo. In 1970 Gibson came out with a series of catalogs where your logo was featured prominently. My guess is 1970 for the one with waves or bubbles.

1970_zps5a8ae3a3.jpg

Thanks, Gralst - I agree. I was thinking that it was probably a Norlin "rebranding" or marketing move. Was 1970 the year that Norlin became the parent company? I never knew the exact date.

The exact date that "Norlin" came into existence as a corporate entity was December 19, 1969 (If you believe WikiPedia it's December 22, 1969...but don't believe them) but the previous three years (since the 1966 departure of Ted McCarty and installation of Stan Rendell as president of Gibson)had been trying and tumultuous to say the least. This was a time of a huge flood of cheap imports (From Europe as well as Asia). The progressive and inventive spirit of Ted McCarty just wasn't going to work in a time when the cost-cutting was a necessity and holding the margin imperative. The bean counters had been there the entire time. Remember, Gibson had been owned and controlled by a corporation since 1902 and by a diversified (things besides stringed instruments) corporation since 1944. So much was happening on the American guitar scene. Fender was sold to CBS, Gretsch was sold to Baldwin Pianos, Guild guitars was sold to a corporation, Harmony and Kay who a few years before were the largest producers of guitars in the world were close to becoming simply name-recognition brands on cheap import guitars as Epiphone became in the summer of 1970. As the 70s progressed and production technology advanced in Asia, the belt-tightening of Norlin was necessary for there to continue to be a Gibson guitar made. I really think a lot of the knock on Norlin is a result of egos over-compensating because I'd have to say that no less than 85% of the "Classic Rock" genre hit records were originally produced on Norlin-era Gibsons and CBS-era Fenders but when you spend stupid money on instruments designed to look as much as they can like something they ain't, there has to be a justification somewhere (this coming from a guy who owns Gibson Historics and Custom Shop Fenders lol). Yeah, corners were cut but there were still some awesome instruments made in that era.

Archived