Gibson Brands Forums

Burstbucker 1 in the bridge of an SG?

pelham_blue

Whenever I see discussion of the non-Pro Burstbuckers as upgrades, the most common recommendation seems to be a combo of a BB1 and a BB2 at the bridge. Has anyone tried the BB1 in the bridge of an SG? I was considering trying to pick up a Tweedy SG online (impossible to find in a shop locally to try first) but am wondering if the BB1 might be a bit underwhelming in the bridge as I haven't seen it recommended for use there on any of the various forums I've been browsing.

Any feedback would be gratefully received! So far, I've only ever played an SG with the stock 490R/498T combo, which I like the overdriven and distorted tones, but I'm hoping that the BB1s might offer slightly more characterful clean tones?

Most players obviously like hotter pickups in the bridge position, but in the end it all is a matter of taste. So there are Gibsons coming stock with two '57 Classics, both without the Plus, or with the 490R/490T combo.

In one of my Les Paul Standards is the BB1/BB2 combination you quoted. I never heard a BB1 as bridge pickup, but I am sure you may expect an extended top end. It seems to provide more upper midrange and treble than 490R and '57 Classic.

I didn't have trouble up to now with BBs for that reason, but the coils of the BBs ## 1/2/3 aren't wax potted and so can eventually be prone to microphonics when used with very high gain and volume. The BB Pro N & B are referred to have a "noise reduction" whatever that means.

• 3 months later...

Whenever I see discussion of the non-Pro Burstbuckers as upgrades, the most common recommendation seems to be a combo of a BB1 and a BB2 at the bridge. Has anyone tried the BB1 in the bridge of an SG? I was considering trying to pick up a Tweedy SG online (impossible to find in a shop locally to try first) but am wondering if the BB1 might be a bit underwhelming in the bridge as I haven't seen it recommended for use there on any of the various forums I've been browsing.

Any feedback would be gratefully received! So far, I've only ever played an SG with the stock 490R/498T combo, which I like the overdriven and distorted tones, but I'm hoping that the BB1s might offer slightly more characterful clean tones?

Hi,

I play SG 61 r and this baby come stock with the 57 classic as you know... I just want you to know that these P.u. are the best Ive heard. Compare to the burst series and all the PAF wanna be, The 57 classic + at the bridge covers nice clean tone, blues, jazz... AND when its time to rock ACDC, Zepplin, Guns and roses style... They handle loud hi gain with a nice crunch and smoth sustain...Voila

I'm disappointed of the other burst and wanna be paf P.U.s...

Ciao

Archived