• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

J200 Standard -Pickup System Gripe

#1 User is offline   BlackWater 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • LocationAlternating Between Buckinghamshire and the Western Isles

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:44 PM

Attached Image: image.jpgI've got a 2011 J200 Standard,bought it new,had it set-up professionally,it's Blonde,and its arguably the best acoustic guitar I've ever played, it's easy to play,sounds amazing, -its still sounding a bit 'bright' -but I'm playing the hell out of it daily, so maybe after a few years it'll mellow-out somewhat!But,why did Gibson install the pickup control panel, in a place inside the sound-hole- upside down? To all intents and purposes,the position it's placed in, means the player has to twist the guitar round to see inside the hole to adjust the controls,-plus, the controls themselves are a bit involved and 'busy' - while I'm acutely aware that these electronics are the very latest and advanced, that money can buy,I personally think they should have been simplified,or at least,made more player- friendly, having said that,I'm otherwise very satisfied with my J200, it's a loud enough guitar to be played acoustically anyhow!Attached Image: image.jpgApologies for the quality of the photos-I'm new to this photo- upload business ....

#2 User is offline   Kaiser Bill 

• Zorchmeister

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:49 PM

As unfriendly as that set up is...its better than what I have. I'm flying by the seat of my pants blindfolded in the dark. I have NO CONTROLS whatsoever on my Pete Townsend signature J200. Catch as catch can for me I guess.
Gibson Midtown Kalamazoo (2013)
Gibson LP (Nov 2003)
Gibson LPDC (2005)
Gibson Pete Townshend signature J200 (2005)
Epiphone Joe Pass(2006)
Epiphone Les Paul (2005)
Supro lap steel (1949)
Fender"P" bass (original 1972)
MIM Fender Strat'(2000)
2010 Squire Mini MII
2012 MIM Fender Telecaster
1990 Ovation Applause
1969 Univox acoustic
1982 Fender acoustic
1961 Silvertone 3/4 size
Sho-Bud Pro I pedal steel (Emmons set up)
Genz-Benz Shenandoah AC-150
2005 Fender Hot Rod Deville (2X12)
1973 GBX Super Bug (2X12)
TC Helicon Voice Live Play GTX w controller mic
Digi-Tech RP-1

#3 User is offline   rar 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationSF Bay Area, CA

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:26 PM

View PostBlackWater, on 10 September 2013 - 12:44 PM, said:

But,why did Gibson install the pickup control panel, in a place inside the sound-hole- upside down?

Because that's the way it's designed to be installed. If you don't like the design, complain to Fishman (and Baggs, and every other manufacturer who does soundhole-mounted controls, since they all locate them on the bass-side), not Gibson. I believe the theory is that it's easier to reach the controls and adjust them with your fingertips while playing on-stage if the controls are mounted on the bass-side. You're supposed to be able to adjust them without looking once you get familiar with them, so them being hard to see is pretty much irrelevant.

-- Bob R

#4 User is offline   blindboygrunt 

• Advanced Member

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:34 PM

Exactly. After a few hours then you'll not need to see the controls. Besides , they're only there to tweak your live sound , chances are you'll not touch them. Learn where the volume is .

#5 User is offline   Lefty55 

• Advanced Member

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:56 PM

Hey thanks for the great photo of the Aura. Now I can adjust mine by looking at your photo. [smile]

#6 User is offline   fortyearspickn 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationTexas

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:36 AM

BW, I'm guessing that, ergonomically, someone determined it was easier to hook or curl your first or second fingers in on the topside of the sondhole rather than trying to use your thumb on the bottom/treble side since it is at a different angle and has only one joint. Also, for some folks - it is less sensitive/precise. Sort of like why sidearms/guns have a trigger designed for your index finger and not your thumb. I guess the pickup manufacturers individually decided that, for those who don't want their controls in the upper bout, this was the next best place on an acoustic - and people would just not buy the guitar if they thought it was a 'real' issue. (Sorry ParlorMan, couldn't resist [biggrin] )
SJ200 2004
H'Bird TV 2010
J45 Custom Koa 2013

#7 User is offline   drathbun 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:15 PM

I'm seriously considering taking the Ellipse out of my J200 Standard. I don't like the sound with any of the settings and there are so many switches and sliders and buttons that the thing rattles all the time. I've had it in twice for a buzz I can't find and the tech always identifies the Ellipse as the issue. He stuffs tiny pieces of cardboard into the buttons to keep them from rattling. I'm tired of it. I'll yank it out and put in a Baggs iBeam instead.
Doug

Posted Image

2014 Godin Multiac Classical
2013 Martin 000-17sm 12 fret
2012 Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz Bass
2011 Gibson SJ200 Standard Natural
2010 Gretsch Electromatic G5122DC
2009 Taylor GA3-12e
2008 Gibson Songwriter Deluxe
2004 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
1981 Rickenbacker 320JG
1968 Yamaha FG150 Red Label
My Soundclick Music Page

My YouTube Channel

#8 User is offline   BlackWater 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationAlternating Between Buckinghamshire and the Western Isles

Posted 12 September 2013 - 02:43 PM

drathbun said:

1379009736[/url]' post='1424500']
I'm seriously considering taking the Ellipse out of my J200 Standard. I don't like the sound with any of the settings and there are so many switches and sliders and buttons that the thing rattles all the time. I've had it in twice for a buzz I can't find and the tech always identifies the Ellipse as the issue. He stuffs tiny pieces of cardboard into the buttons to keep them from rattling. I'm tired of it. I'll yank it out and put in a Baggs iBeam instead.

Precisely what I'm beefing about! Whole pickup assembly is an ***-pain, my original point is that it's unnecessarily complicated, fiddly as ****, my Guild F-412 12-string, has a volume and tone wheel-simple, I think I'm going to look into a Baggs system myself, though,I'm playing it a lot unplugged lately.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users