Gibson Brands Forums

J200 Standard -Pickup System Gripe

BlackWater

post-58815-085254900 1378838513_thumb.jpgI've got a 2011 J200 Standard,bought it new,had it set-up professionally,it's Blonde,and its arguably the best acoustic guitar I've ever played, it's easy to play,sounds amazing, -its still sounding a bit 'bright' -but I'm playing the hell out of it daily, so maybe after a few years it'll mellow-out somewhat!But,why did Gibson install the pickup control panel, in a place inside the sound-hole- upside down? To all intents and purposes,the position it's placed in, means the player has to twist the guitar round to see inside the hole to adjust the controls,-plus, the controls themselves are a bit involved and 'busy' - while I'm acutely aware that these electronics are the very latest and advanced, that money can buy,I personally think they should have been simplified,or at least,made more player- friendly, having said that,I'm otherwise very satisfied with my J200, it's a loud enough guitar to be played acoustically anyhow!post-58815-099858000 1378838493_thumb.jpgApologies for the quality of the photos-I'm new to this photo- upload business ....

But,why did Gibson install the pickup control panel, in a place inside the sound-hole- upside down?

Because that's the way it's designed to be installed. If you don't like the design, complain to Fishman (and Baggs, and every other manufacturer who does soundhole-mounted controls, since they all locate them on the bass-side), not Gibson. I believe the theory is that it's easier to reach the controls and adjust them with your fingertips while playing on-stage if the controls are mounted on the bass-side. You're supposed to be able to adjust them without looking once you get familiar with them, so them being hard to see is pretty much irrelevant.

-- Bob R

BW, I'm guessing that, ergonomically, someone determined it was easier to hook or curl your first or second fingers in on the topside of the sondhole rather than trying to use your thumb on the bottom/treble side since it is at a different angle and has only one joint. Also, for some folks - it is less sensitive/precise. Sort of like why sidearms/guns have a trigger designed for your index finger and not your thumb. I guess the pickup manufacturers individually decided that, for those who don't want their controls in the upper bout, this was the next best place on an acoustic - and people would just not buy the guitar if they thought it was a 'real' issue. (Sorry ParlorMan, couldn't resist [biggrin] )

I'm seriously considering taking the Ellipse out of my J200 Standard. I don't like the sound with any of the settings and there are so many switches and sliders and buttons that the thing rattles all the time. I've had it in twice for a buzz I can't find and the tech always identifies the Ellipse as the issue. He stuffs tiny pieces of cardboard into the buttons to keep them from rattling. I'm tired of it. I'll yank it out and put in a Baggs iBeam instead.

1379009736[/url]' post='1424500']

I'm seriously considering taking the Ellipse out of my J200 Standard. I don't like the sound with any of the settings and there are so many switches and sliders and buttons that the thing rattles all the time. I've had it in twice for a buzz I can't find and the tech always identifies the Ellipse as the issue. He stuffs tiny pieces of cardboard into the buttons to keep them from rattling. I'm tired of it. I'll yank it out and put in a Baggs iBeam instead.

Precisely what I'm beefing about! Whole pickup assembly is an ***-pain, my original point is that it's unnecessarily complicated, fiddly as ****, my Guild F-412 12-string, has a volume and tone wheel-simple, I think I'm going to look into a Baggs system myself, though,I'm playing it a lot unplugged lately.

Archived