Gibson Brands Forums

1985 Flying V with non locking chrome Kahler

Ronbo256

I recently acquired a Cardinal red 1985 Flying V with a factory installed Kahler tremelo and stringlock above nut (to avoid floyd rose patent no doubt). I got the original case also. The previous owner sanded the neck to remove the paint and he may have thinned it a bit, but it feels exactly like my 60's profile Les Paul studio. I can't find any info on this particular model as the Kahler is chrome and non locking (no allen bolt to lock the unit on the back) and it has an ebony fretboard. It's one of the no pickguard variants. Here's a picture. Any one have any info they'd like to share. Yes, I know the bridge pickup isn't correct.

I should share what I do know. Maple neck and mahogany body, original DF neck pup, totally unknown bridge pup but I have a "Tim Shaw" DF bridge pup to replace it. Everything else seems to be correct, it was built on June 11th 1985 in Nashville. One good thing about the sanded neck is I can see there has been no broken headstock.

DSCN0110.jpg

I recently acquired a Cardinal red 1985 Flying V with a factory installed Kahler tremelo and stringlock above nut (to avoid floyd rose patent no doubt). I got the original case also. The previous owner sanded the neck to remove the paint and he may have thinned it a bit, but it feels exactly like my 60's profile Les Paul studio. I can't find any info on this particular model as the Kahler is chrome and non locking (no allen bolt to lock the unit on the back) and it has an ebony fretboard. It's one of the no pickguard variants. Here's a picture. Any one have any info they'd like to share. Yes, I know the bridge pickup isn't correct.

I should share what I do know. Maple neck and mahogany body, original DF neck pup, totally unknown bridge pup but I have a "Tim Shaw" DF bridge pup to replace it. Everything else seems to be correct, it was built on June 11th 1985 in Nashville. One good thing about the sanded neck is I can see there has been no broken headstock.

DSCN0110.jpg

Cool guitar, man! I have an '85 Explorer in the same color with a Kahler as well, but only black, not chrome. Really? You have to unlock yours from the back? Mine has the Kahler stringlock as well, but it unlocks from the front.

Here's a pic of mine with my '82 Les Paul Custom and my Les Paul Studio.

tJnn9Ff.jpg

Thanks for the kind words. That's one sweet explorer, I just love that cardinal red color on one, it stands out from all the black and white ones. What I was referring to about my Kahler is that is doesn't have a way to lock the tremelo like the newer models, mine holds the strings the same as yours. That's what I'm finding is unusual about my flying v is the chrome hardware. I've seen these V's with black hardware but not chrome. Also mine isn't the stud mounted Kahler, but it's installed in a rout with 4 wood screws.

I also own a LP studio, 2012 model in ebony. That's one sweet looking '82 LP Custom you have also.

• 2 weeks later...

Ron & GG, both two great axes there! I cleared out alot of guitars over the lasst year and my focus has been on Firebirds, V's and Explorers.... Can't get enough of playing time on anyone I come across it seems, they're all so great!

Thanks for the kind words. That's one sweet explorer, I just love that cardinal red color on one, it stands out from all the black and white ones. What I was referring to about my Kahler is that is doesn't have a way to lock the tremelo like the newer models, mine holds the strings the same as yours. That's what I'm finding is unusual about my flying v is the chrome hardware. I've seen these V's with black hardware but not chrome. Also mine isn't the stud mounted Kahler, but it's installed in a rout with 4 wood screws.

I also own a LP studio, 2012 model in ebony. That's one sweet looking '82 LP Custom you have also.

Thanks, man! I agree. I love the red, too. Oh, I get what you're referring to, now. Mine doesn't have the screw hole on the back where you can lock the trem and make non floating, either.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like a garden variety '84 style flying V (the standard V of the day between '84 and '88 had a backroute and no pickguard). Kahlers were on some models and aftermarket Kahlers were thrown on many more over the years. Have fun playing the hell out of it!

• 3 years later...

I also have a cardinal red 1985 flying-v since new I have the original pressed board (allegedly hard shell) case and the snakeskin strap with pick-pocket I bought at the same time along with a fender (Rivera) concert amp,although bought at the same time the serial number says it's an 84 amp. Neither guitar or amp has given any problems in over 30 years of use.

However one of my other guitars that has the kahler I like, a peavey cobra, has a broken saddle , anyone know where I can get parts for a kahler? Thanks

Archived