Gibson Brands Forums

the hunt for the right acoustic guitar... (long story)

brynte5

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Del Nilppeznaf

ok, i´m not sure what book matched tops mean, but i get that it´s somthing weird anyway;-)

yeah, sounds like a plan;-)

Ya welcome Bryn

i have a close friend from Sweden..she has just returned after living in Ireland for many years..to go back to study..she is young

Gothenburg sounds cool..will have to visit one day.... book matched ?

It means when the wood for the top of a guitar is matched so the grain runs similar....and produces no 'light' effects ....

I think? ..;)

That is a great story and sounds like lots of fun. I don't think that stating your dislikes would be stepping on anyone's toes. No one can tell is what to like. I DO think however that the "period " key on your keyboard may be stuck on the "exclamation point " . Ya might want to get that checked out... [flapper]

Motherofpearl

no, i had absolutely no idea who he was, but since then (i bought this guitar this wednesday) i´ve both googled and youtubed him, hehe;-)

i guess that´s mostly because i haven´t listened much to that kind of country music before...

now that i´ve checked him out a little though, even though he does have some great tunes (i have only heard a few), it feels like a little too much country style for me personally!

i prefer the more modern kind of country pop music myself and i like to listen to shania twain, taylor swift for example:-)

Del Nilppeznaf

ok, i guess it´s always nice to have friends in high places, hehe;-)

yeah, gothenburg is a really nice city:-)

sometimes i wish i lived there myself, but actually i live in a very small place about 2 hours away, if i go by car...

ok, thanx for letting me know:-)

E-minor7

yeah ok, hehe:-)

i´ll see what i can do about that;-)

i´ve been tube-diving myself quite a lot, and there are a few videos, but i still haven´t seen one where dwight is playing it...!

try youtubing for Elizabeth Cook and you´ll find a bunch of videos of her playing this guitar;-)

she has something put in the soundhole...

i guess it´s there to prevent feedback, but what is it?

i once found a video of a concert with some famous country man, who borrowed this guitar for that show and i´ve been trying to find it again, but haven´t been able to!

they intoduced him as being the number 5 top selling country artist and he was wearing glasses, a headband and a scarf...

any ideas?

i want to watch that again!

passthej45

thanx:-)

yeah, it was a lot of fun:-)

i just figured that some people are more sensitive and might take offence if the guitar of their choice was not good enough for me...;-)

but like i said before and as most of you guys already know, those guitars are all individuals and i just like to think of it as me being very fortunate that day, to have found a model that sounded and felt just like it was meant for me!

when we left the store the first time, i knew that the deuce was the best choice at that time and several hours later we returned to that store, played through the contenders still standing and we both agreed that the deuce was easily still the best choice by far, i couldn´t resist buying it!

about the exclamation point..., hehe;-)

it´s like a bad habit, i guess!

just a small "." is just... too boring and a "!" makes every sentence come aliiiiiive!!!, hehe;-)

E-minor7

yeah ok, hehe:-)

i´ll see what i can do about that;-)

i´ve been tube-diving myself quite a lot, and there are a few videos, but i still haven´t seen one where dwight is playing it...!

try youtubing for Elizabeth Cook and you´ll find a bunch of videos of her playing this guitar;-)

i once found a video of a concert with some famous country man, who borrowed this guitar for that show and i´ve been trying to find it again, but haven´t been able to!

they intoduced him as being the number 5 top selling country artist and he was wearing glasses, a headband and a scarf...

any ideas?

i want to watch that again!

Glasses a headband and a scarf sounds like ray willy Hubbard. Didn't think he'd be top 5 though.

Another thing that I don´t like, is the sound of the LR Baggs Element Active Acoustic Guitar Pickup and Preamp System, included in this guitar!

miced up it sounds really beautiful, but lined in it sounds pretty cheap imho and very far from the beautiful sound I get miced up!

i´m going to check out other mic systems, so I can hopefully make it sound just as awesome lined in!

Hallllllooooo! And welcome to that forum!

I DO NOT LIKE the sound of the LR Baggs Element Active Acoustic Guitar Pickup and Preamp System. And I don't like it for two reasons: 1. The sound is really cheep and it is a shame... Recently I bought a new J35 - really glad to have this beauty, and in the beginning didn't pay attention to the plugged in sound, but after a concert of my grup I listenede to the audio-recordings of the evening and was really disappointed of the sound of my guitar. 2. I really DON'T LIKE this way of putting the battery inside the instrument just like that in some pocket... Ugly! I prefere systems with the battery outside the instrument.

I have about 9 acoustic guitars. I have a Gibson SJ 200 Custom Elite (stunning guitar!) and in the beginning I had an L.R. Baggs M1 Active on the soundhole. After 3 years of playing with it stopped to like the look and the sound of that system and changed it wit a K&K Trinity Miny - for me this is the ultimate pickup system for an acoustic guitar. http://www.shorelinemusic.com/music/pickups-preamps/kk/kk-trinity-mini/

For my J35 I purchased a Fishman Aura Spectrum DI , like the changes of the piezo sound it produces, but still did not used it on a gig.

Once again really like your post and glad you are a member in this forum. Post some pictures and a video if you can, pls msp_thumbup.gif

Byrne, Enjoyable, great recap of a disciplined approach to buying an acoustic!

If I found enough cash in my pocket to go out like that, I'd act more li,e a drunken sailor and buy the first girl, errr.... GUITAR I saw.

Speaking of drink. With this choice in guitars, you may want to consider switching from piña coladas to bourbon.

Byrne, Enjoyable, great recap of a disciplined approach to buying an acoustic!

If I found enough cash in my pocket to go out like that, I'd act more li,e a drunken sailor and buy the first girl, errr.... GUITAR I saw.

Speaking of drink. With this choice in guitars, you may want to consider switching from piña coladas to bourbon.

Me too, 40YP!

First cab......

Welcome Brynte5 with your first Gibson of possibly many after you have found your way to this place of enablement.

You will at least have to get the mahogany body version to go with the rosewood.....................

BluesKIng777.

blindboygrunt

yep that´s him!

thanx for helping out:-)

i just watched a little of that video and got it wrong!

it´s supposed to be number 5 on the americana charts!

watch this to hear the guitar in action;-)

This is the same guitar that Ray Wylie Is Playing! It belongs to Miss Cook.

MR GIBS

thanx and i really appreciate that you guys are so nice to a newcomer:-)

glad to hear i´m not the only one who don´t think the built in system is good enough!

it´s really a shame that gibson chose that system in their otherwise fantastic guitars!

thanx for those tips:-)

i´ve checked them out and the solution i like best so far, is the fishman aura spectrum di!

could you, or anyone else who own, or have tried one of those boxes, please tell me more about them!?

i´m sure that k&k is awesome, but that means going inside of the guitar and glueing and stuff and it seems so much easier with just kind of like a stompbox!

i also think the k&k are more expensive!?

how would you compare the fishman vs the trinity mini?

about those pics...

i´ll give you guys a choice!

i was going to edit the pics and make them look nice, but that means it will take a few days, or i could just upload them asap, just as they are!?

which of those 2 options would you prefer?

i also read something about a similar kind of stomp box made by lr baggs, but haven´t checked it out yet...

thanx fot those tips:-)

i´ve checked them out and the solution i like best so far, is the fishman aura spectrum di!

could you, or anyone else who own, or have tried one of those boxes, please tell me more about them!?

i´m sure that k&k is awesome, but that means going inside of the guitar and glueing and stuff and it seems so much easier with just kind of like a stompbox!

i also think the k&k are more expensive!?

how would you compare the fishman vs the trinity mini?

I have both systems.

The "Trinity Mini" is installed in my SJ200 and, man - this is the ultimate system to extract the acoustic sound from a guitar into a cable...

The fact that guitarists like Andy McKee, Don Ross, Brooke Miller and other fingerstyle stars play with K&K Trinity (but not mini) should be very revealing.

I have that "Aura" too - exactly the same stomp box you showed above. Purchased it from e-bay to use it when I am on stage plugged in with my Gibson J35 and with other my "piezo" guitars.

All I can tell you is that The Fishman Aura is a palliative decision... You can try it, you can buy it , but in the end you will hear with your own ears that yes - it changes the sound of the instrument to a better way, but there is still a piezo trace... And you can not avoid 100% this piezo - plash...

It is you to decide what to do. By the way I don't know the L.R.Baggs's stomp box, but matter of fact I really don't want to know nothing about it. These simulating masines are just simulating. I like real microphones and for now the K&K Trinity Mini system satisfies me 100%.

Me - I live easy: I have a Mster Luthier friend and he does for me everything I can think of! Any time I can tell him to extract the L.R. Baggs Element out of the Gibson J35 and to install a K&K Trinity Mini inside. For the moment I remain with the Fishman Aura DI, but in the future I can change my mind...

fortyearspickn

i guess i´m a pretty disciplined kind of guy, which can sometimes be good and sometimes... not so good, hehe;-)

bourbon is definately not an option for me, i´m afraid...:-/

it happens, when i feel like i´m about to get sick, that someone suggests a shot of bourbon...

i always resond that i´d much rather get sick than going through that much suffering and misery, hehe;-)

BluesKing777

i don´t think i´ll be getting another guitar for a very long time...

maybe never again...

i just wanted a really awesome acoustic and now that i do, i feel just right with that and i don´t feel the need for another one:-)

MR GIBS

ok, so i guess the trinity mini sounds better...

thanx for letting me/us know your opinion:-)

i feel like i´m probably ok with second best though, if that means not having to install anything inside the guitar...

i don´t play fingerstyle yet, but i´m working on it!

for now though, it´s just strumming!

The splatty, plasticy sound (and the compressed dynamic range) of an under saddle piezo can be limited, but I've never heard it eliminated. Dual source systems with internal mics to pretty good at sounding like your guitar. External microphones do bettter. Both are feedback prone at high gain and not practical for use with a full band. If you don't mind a visible pickup, the Baggs M-80 is pretty awesome. It is a dual source system in one piece, picking up strings and body resonance and blending them. Yes, it has a bit of a "sound," but that sound is pretty "Gibson." It sound great. And handles a lot of gain before feedback; perfect for a band setting.

If you just want to play solo acoustic stuff, get a couple of good mics.

P

duluthdan

thanx for helping out:-)

all photos are taken with my phone, so don´t expect top quality pics!

it´s the only "camera" i´ve got right now, so it´ll have to do!

you´ll notice that i haven´t cleaned the guitar and i guess i should have thought about that before taking the photos, but this is how it looked straight from the store, so maybe this is kind of more "honest" and how it will look most of the time, from regular use...!

all i had done here, before shooting the pics was that i changed the strings!

i´ll start with 1 photo, just to try it out!

let me know if you want me to change something for the other photos, before i upload more!

i checked this photo in preview and it was huge, but i´m not really sure if that´s good or bad...!?

is there some standard size you guys know of, that will be more suitable for this forum?

LAERxRR.jpg

Phelonious Ponk

thanx for your input:-)

i´m currently doing my research about about how to get the best sound live, from the guitar!

there are a few interesting options out there...

but considering that i´d personally, rather not have to mess with the inside of the guitar, it narrows things down!

these are some of the alternatives i´m currently checking out:

* fishman aura spectrum di

* lr baggs m-80

* zoom a3

any more awesome alternatives i´m missing here and if you own or have tried any of those, what is your opinion?

Archived