Gibson Brands Forums

2013 R8 or R9??

rayz

Im going to try both of these out tomorrow at a music store. I know the obvious diff is the R9 has a flame top and a little thinner neck. Heres my question,im trying to get opinions on the justification of paying $1800 more for a flame top verses a plain top.Any opinions on the neck diff or anything you can think of will help out.$1800 is a lot of money just for some flame in my opinion.

In my opinion, sound and playability are the essentials. To have a nicely looking guitar can be a pretty bonus. I am not sure whether the price difference is only or mostly due to the top figuring. I think that the lighter woods of the R9 make it more expensive, too.

In any case, I think I would tend rather not to buy, or to buy a different one, than to go with an instrument I am not absolutely happy with.

Im going to try both of these out tomorrow at a music store. I know the obvious diff is the R9 has a flame top and a little thinner neck. Heres my question,im trying to get opinions on the justification of paying $1800 more for a flame top verses a plain top.Any opinions on the neck diff or anything you can think of will help out.$1800 is a lot of money just for some flame in my opinion.

It is not worth it to me. In fact, if they were the same price, I would pick the R8. I am not into fancy flamed wood and the thicker neck is what I need for my big paws. I have a Strat, 2 Tele's, and an ES-335. All are old school large necks, such as the large U on my '51 Nocaster Custom and none are flamed. I know some are totally into fancy flamed wood and thats cool too. No disputing the 1959 LP has become the "Holy Grail". Although it looks to me like the originals (Gibbons, Page, Perry, etc.) were not as heavily flamed as the Re-issues.

After decades of drooling and lusting over an R8, I finally bought one. It is a 2013 in Iced Tea flavor. I pick it up on Tuesday. CANT WAIT!!!! Had to sell my Harley to get it but its time.

Cheers,

Woolly

LPR83PVOITNH1-Finish-Shot-jpg.aspx?KeepThis=true&

Congrats on the guitar!! Im feeling the same, I don't really care enough about a flamed out top to pay 1800 for it. I think im just going to try out a few different R8's That ice tea is sweet. Thanks

Ray,

If I had a chance to sit down and play them side by side I surely would do so. One thing is almost a given, the R9 will always be worth more money if that means anything to you. You could really like it better especially if you are into thinner necks. For me, these guitars are meant to be kept for generations. Get the one that you like the feel, action, tone, and looks the best to you. If you really dig the R9, the $1800 difference wont mean squat in 20 years.

For me, its an R8.

Just wanted to give an update. I played the r9 and r8 and both are fantastic high quality guitars that played like a dream. The R8 in ice tea just kept calling my name so I took her home with me.Thanks to all who replied to my question.

post-54274-012742700 1379610456_thumb.jpg

I was surprised at the amount of flame on it as well. The other two R8's I played had more flame on them than my ice tea. This one just had a sweeter singing tone that had a lot of balls to it. Great Job Gibson Custom Shop, it was expensive but after playing it I would have paid more for it.

Guest Farnsbarns

It's a common misconception that all R8s are plain tops. There's plenty of R8s out there with flame from subtle to outrageous.

Yours is gorgeous by the way.

I never realized it. I figured a plain top is just that, 'plain'. But I have seen some of the nicest flamed plain tops I have ever seen. Thanks for the comments on me ice tea. I cant put it down, my wife wishes I would have never got it. I have suddenly disappeared!!

Guest Farnsbarns

I never realized it. I figured a plain top is just that, 'plain'. But I have seen some of the nicest flamed plain tops I have ever seen. Thanks for the comments on me ice tea. I cant put it down, my wife wishes I would have never got it. I have suddenly disappeared!!

A plain top is just that "plain" (no flame, spalt, birds eye or quilt). But... Not all R8s are plain tops.

Some plain tops are more plain than others....

FarnsR8lo-res.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

THANK YOU for this topic.

I've was recently looking at buying an R7, R8, or R9. For the life of me I couldn't figure out why the R9 had a much higher price.

Here in the UK; the R7 and R8 go for about £3 199, and then the R9 jumps to £4 499 (comparable to the US price jumps). Having read the specifications on numerous websites I couldn't see the differences being anything more than the flame top against "plain top"; so I figured I was missing something that retailers weren't mentioning in their product summaries.

Have I missed anything about this topic? I can't believe the price for flame tops pushes it up so high.

The R8 is currently holding as my favourite choice (Lemonburst FTW!)

Just wanted to give an update. I played the r9 and r8 and both are fantastic high quality guitars that played like a dream. The R8 in ice tea just kept calling my name so I took her home with me.Thanks to all who replied to my question.

Fantastic !

Congratulations and enjoy [thumbup]

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I had the opportunity to get a p96 Gloss R9 for the same price as a Lemonburst VOS R8. First off love the VOS it is hard (for me) to look ate the sparkle of glossy shiny guitars after seeing VOS in person.

Then I picked them up and played them. The R8 was leaps and bounds better feeling and sounding to me. I base a lot on how a guitar sounds and "feels" unplugged and the R8 was like going back in a time machine for me. It was awe inspiring.

The R9 had what I'd call headache inspiring pinstriped flame and it was WAY to busy for my taste. The R8 had some very pleasant even flame and beautiful smooth grain below. R8 all the way for me. Not even interested in R9. Next guitar for me will be either R4 or R6. Have to get out and try those to be sure.

post-70256-062956000 1422566953_thumb.jpg

Archived