Gibson Brands Forums

Please help with Min-ETune problem!

Sweetbird

Having an issue with the Min-ETune system on my 2013 Les Paul Tribute. The tuning peg for the "A" string is locked and won't move - either manually or robotically.

Does anybody have a fix? I'm hoping I don't have to send the guitar back to Sweetwater for repair.

Thanks!

Steve

Quick update:

The guitar heading back to Sweetwater today (their customer service rocks). Apparently this type of thing hasn't happened before, but they will fix ASAP (install new MinETuning system) and return.

Looking forward to having it back soon - really love the instrument and MinETune system.

Cheers guys!

Steve

Hi !!

I'm a french student, and I would like to know how Min-Etune works : which components are used, why ... If somebody can help me, I would be very grateful !!!!!

(I'm also interest in how the gibson robot works !!).

I count on you guys !!

I can give you the basics.......... On the Original Robot through the X models... the guitar's bridge has 6 individual piezo saddles. This means the guitar can "Listen" to each string, and determine the pitch of it, much like a common off the shelf tuner does. These guitars are equipped with motorized tuners that are controlled by the system. Based on the pitch the guitar hears from the piezo, it can adjust the tension higher or lower to tune itself. One interesting thing on these guitars is that there's no wires hidden in the neck. The power and communication to the motors is done through the strings themselves. This is why you can't touch the strings whilst the guitar is tuning up.. or you get the "white light" warning you of a cross-over. One other thing that can cause this is players who don't trim the string ends. If two ends are touching, the system won't work. Rusty/old strings can cause issues too. With clean fresh properly wound strings, the system works great.

Min-Etune is a bit different, but not much. Instead of the piezo saddles, the entire system is packed onto the headstock of the guitar (battery and all). This makes it a plausible retrofit. If you've seen the "Clip On" tuners they sell, this is the same methodology that the Min-Etune uses to listen for pitch. Min-Etune doesn't send any power or communication through your strings, so you shouldn't bump into that issue. However if you are using a rubber band soft string, it's likely there won't be enough vibration to reach the sensors. This system works ok with "10's or 11's".

Hope this helps.

Archived