Gibson Brands Forums

LR Baggs or Fishman

Sitedrifter

Hey everyone!

I noticed that depending on what J200 I am looking the guitar may come with Fishman electronics or LR Baggs. Not every using or hearing these brands (My Taylor has their own ES system and my Yamaha has it's own SRT system) I would like to know which electronics set is better and why?

Thanks for your input!

Mark

I have a Baggs M1A soundhole pickup in another guitar and I've never been able to get the nasally honk out of it.

Exactly my experience also with that Pup !

However I would add having the Aura Spectrum DI makes a huge differnce in taking all the piezo quack away and providing a fuller tone when using the UST pups.

Exactly my experience also with that Pup !

However I would add having the Aura Spectrum DI makes a huge differnce in taking all the piezo quack away and providing a fuller tone when using the UST pups.

Is it taking it away aussie or just covering it up ?

Suppose it doesn't matter , I'd love the cash to throw into one of those jobbies that duluthdan has.

The m1 - do you think it doesn't mix with a Gibson sound or did you try it on the other guitars too ? I'm not arguing with your opinion just wondering if you hear the same annoying quality when you listen to other people using them ?

Is it taking it away aussie or just covering it up ?

Suppose it doesn't matter , I'd love the cash to throw into one of those jobbies that duluthdan has.

The m1 - do you think it doesn't mix with a Gibson sound or did you try it on the other guitars too ? I'm not arguing with your opinion just wondering if you hear the same annoying quality when you listen to other people using them ?

I would say it takes it away without compromising the tone, actually making it thicker as you run it through the DI feature of the spectrum. With the M1a I find its the same on all guitars as its portable and Ive tried on a few including the Cort and Martin. I just find it has that phasey, almost electric tone that takes away the natural tone of the acoustic.

Make up your own mind, do you hear piezo quack, this is at quite high volume in a large room.

I would say it takes it away without compromising the tone, actually making it thicker as you run it through the DI feature of the spectrum. With the M1a I find its the same on all guitars as its portable and Ive tried on a few including the Cort and Martin. I just find it has that phasey, almost electric tone that takes away the natural tone of the acoustic.

Make up your own mind, do you hear piezo quack, this is at quite high volume in a large room.

Sounds grand Aussie. What if you ran an M1 through the DI though?

Sounds like I'm being a bit of a tube , but I genuinely have little knowledge of all these set ups.

Sounds grand Aussie. What if you ran an M1 through the DI though?

Sounds like I'm being a bit of a tube , but I genuinely have little knowledge of all these set ups.

It might sound better but this DI was specifically designed for UST pups BBG. I just dont like the magetic nature of the M1A and the resulting tone it delivers.

I don't like any under-saddle pickup system (UST). Systems that use a sound board transducer (SBT) are much superior in authentic acoustic sound IMO. I've owned and installed quite a few Baggs iBeam SBT pickup systems and I love the warmth and acoustic presence. Even the combo system from Baggs, the iMix, which is a combination of a UST and a SBT doesn't cut it for me as I keep the blend all the way to the SBT. Some UST's are better than others but they all have a brashness to them that I don't like.

Fair enough. I'll add the DI box to things to check out if I ever get around to changing the electrics in the guitar.

Cheers Aussie

I tried running my M1A through several routes and never could EQ the honk out of it. I tried it through a DI box. I tried it through a Baggs Venue DI with EQ -- still very honky. I just don' think it pairs well with Gibson's mid-rangy sound, especially the J-45's mid ranginess.

I finally put the M1A in my Larrivee D3 dread and it sounds less honky, but still there. I'm going to sell it. On the other hand, I have both the Fishman Ellipse Aura and Ellipse blend pickups in two of my gitars and they both sound fantastic.

Just my experience.

I tried running my M1A through several routes and never could EQ the honk out of it. I tried it through a DI box. I tried it through a Baggs Venue DI with EQ -- still very honky. I just don' think it pairs well with Gibson's mid-rangy sound, especially the J-45's mid ranginess.

I finally put the M1A in my Larrivee D3 dread and it sounds less honky, but still there. I'm going to sell it. On the other hand, I have both the Fishman Ellipse Aura and Ellipse blend pickups in two of my gitars and they both sound fantastic.

Just my experience.

What does the ellipse aura do differently ? I looked up the installation guide and it appears (to my stupid eyes) that its just an under saddle pickup with on board adjustments .

Thanks for the input

What does the ellipse aura do differently ? I looked up the installation guide and it appears (to my stupid eyes) that its just an under saddle pickup with on board adjustments .

Thanks for the input

Same technology as the Aura Spectrum except its installed into the pickup control mechanism of the guitar.

Best to take a look at the vid to get the idea of how it works, and compare the UST output with just piezo and then blended with the Aura tool.

http://www.fishman.com/product/aura-spectrum-di

Same technology as the Aura Spectrum except its installed into the pickup control mechanism of the guitar.

Best to take a look at the vid to get the idea of how it works, and compare the UST output with just piezo and then blended with the Aura tool.

http://www.fishman.com/product/aura-spectrum-di

So , same thing you have but all compacted into a smaller unit ?

So , same thing you have but all compacted into a smaller unit ?

Yeah, but specific images for that particular guitar, unlike the Specrum where you can store images that are suitable for a whole bunch of guitars. I use the spectrum with four of my guitars and just choose the image that is right for that specific guitar.

Archived