Gibson Guitar Board: Very slow - Gibson Guitar Board

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Very slow Browsing, Playlists, Quickgrid

#1 User is offline   Hans from hdre.nl 

• Group: Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:57 AM

I've got my SCS.4DJ one day now. I did some initial playing with a smal 1GB USB key. All fine.

Then I hooked up my 500GB USB3.0 high speed WD HDD. It has about 55GB of music, about 13000 MP3's.
QuickGrid takes several hours to analyze my MP3 database. Then it takes several hours to prepare the HDD.
Then it takes several hours for the SCS.4DJ to load the HDD. Then it takes several hours for the 4DJ to generate folder playlists.

I have all my music well organized in folders and I know my way into my folders blindly.
I wish I could just browse to my folders and then browse the content of my folders. Why must it take hours and hours for modern technology to read the contents of a harddisk?

I really don't get it why it should takes hours for the 4DJ to read the folders. With my laptop I could browse them instantly. The 4DJ is very, very slow responsing...

Am I the only one having this issue? I spent one evening and almost one day on it now and loosing confidence. I already have an RMA form printed out. If anyone can convince me that this device can work snappy responsive plesae advice and I might keep it...

#2 User is offline   Luc van Vliet 

• Advanced Member

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:07 PM

Rtfm!

#3 User is offline   Hans from hdre.nl 

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:22 AM

I RTFM multiple times. Both the one for the device as well as the one for QG.
The FM does say that the device takes ages for the first time to load the music collection. Even as I don't understand why it has to take hours, I waited until it finished that. But then, browsing the collection is still not speedy.
While it does browse a small collection nicely fast, with my collection browsing is a nightmare.

I didn't find a solution for this in the F manual.

My point I'm making is that this is a 2013 device but it behaves like 80's technology. My PC can browse the same HDD like lightning. Why can't the DJ4 do that.

View PostLuc van Vliet, on 18 September 2013 - 06:07 PM, said:

Rtfm!

#4 User is offline   simple pleasures 

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:28 AM

think about it... It has a tiny slow 'arm' portable processor.

i use a similar amount of tracks on a bigger usb 3 harddrive.

i don't have such a problem because housework keeps the process simple and fairly quick.
if you need more speed there are several tips i found that help speed up searching.

put tracks in folders with playlists.
de frag the hardrive every time you load new tracks on after scanning with quick grid.
remove all artwork from the folders.
know your songs so you can use browse or song and artist searching.
make playlists and get used to the workflow of the machine....

hope this helps.

#5 User is offline   Hans from hdre.nl 

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:25 AM

Thanks for your reply and hints!

As I indicated, I did generate playlists for each of my folders. That process took hours to complete, but even after having done that, browsing through the playlists isn't really responsive. When you rotate the browsewheel, the response is always late and not smooth. It jumps around ,aking it very difficult to select the song you want. Also booting up time of about 10 minutes even after everything is pre-analyzed and pre-playlisted, is not acceptable for a device of modern age.

I can think of Stanton using a slow ARM processor... But that is their choice, not mine. I think however that a ARM processor is capable of performing better. When I buy something, I am not obliged to investigating what processor the vendor used and if they did right. It's not a very expensive device, but not that cheap either. What makes this device special, is it's capability to run music of an attached USB drive, and Stanton advertises that that may be any HDD. Exactly the feature that makes this device special is lacking the expected performance.

I think Stanton missed out with their software. It really can't be that difficult to create a browser that just browses your folders and files within. That is really not rocket science, and 20.000 titles is not a big deal for whatever processor.

I used a fresh formatted USB3.0 WD 500GB HDD which was thus only about 10% filled with MP3's.
Since it was fresh formatted, a defrag doesn't sound usefull to me.

I don't think I will get used to this machine. I stuggled about a day and half trying to make it work for me, but it got me annoyed more and more.
So I decided to quit and send it back to the vendor and stop wasting my time on it.

It's a pity, for all the rest, the idea of this controller is great.

BTW: I now did some googling for SCS.4DJ being slow in it's browser capabilities... Whish I did that before I purchased it.

View Postsimple pleasures, on 19 September 2013 - 04:28 AM, said:

think about it... It has a tiny slow 'arm' portable processor.

i use a similar amount of tracks on a bigger usb 3 harddrive.

i don't have such a problem because housework keeps the process simple and fairly quick.
if you need more speed there are several tips i found that help speed up searching.

put tracks in folders with playlists.
de frag the hardrive every time you load new tracks on after scanning with quick grid.
remove all artwork from the folders.
know your songs so you can use browse or song and artist searching.
make playlists and get used to the workflow of the machine....

hope this helps.

#6 User is offline   GPA-DJ 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Gibson Pro Audio

Posted 27 September 2013 - 10:48 AM

Here's what works for me...

• A freshly formatted HD with NOTHING on it but music files. (mostly .MP3 / .MP4 with very few .WAVs)
    - .WAV eats up a lot of processor (even when not analyzing)

• Prearranged folders that i batch process a few at a time so i can easily complete the Quickgrid process and sort through errors with out it being too massive.
    -Remember the more it process at one time the more RAM (and drive space on both drives) it needs.

• For Searching or browsing i use 'Generate Device Playlists' in the System Settings to create the playlists that mimic my folder structure.
    - I'm super anal about my organization so i 'comment' the heck out of the best songs so i can easily find what i want quickly (in 18,000+ song collection, which is only 1/2 my total collection).

• Hot or New Songs often go on a small thumbdrive - I have different drives connected to different ports. I can easily search a smaller drive with 500 songs than i can one with 1,500
    - I can easily eject or connect smaller drives (or even the big one if needed)

• Personally i turned off "Bounce on Load" in the system settings. I don't need it to switch screens automatically every time i load a song. (But i DJ with my ears more than my eyes, LOL - this doesn't work for everyone)

• I keep 'AUTO ANALYZE' off unless I'm loading up a new / recently analyzed drive (where i used Quickgrid 1st and i just need to connect/update the database"
    - Reason : people / other DJs often want to play a certain song of their drive / phone. I don't want / need to analyze their entire collection to play one song.
    - As long as MY drives have been previously analyzed and have been detected w/ Auto Analyze ON at least once, i don't need it to try to analyze each time i connect the same drive.

• I USE A USB KEYBOARD!
    This has been the biggest lifesaver for super large collections because Using Search - Or Browsing I use page down (and arrow down) and is better than the jog wheel (IMO). Plus loading songs and switching screens just feels faster.

You should also check out the FAQ under the product page it may give you some ideas and tips that are not in the manual.
www.stantondj.com/scs4dj

+ some guys here have posted their Tips & Tricks
Tips & Tricks Here

Hope this helps,
B~
>>> Please keep in mind the forum is a "social media" outlet
For Technical support contact Service@gibson.com or call 1-800-4Gibson for live customer support

Thanks,
GPA-DJ

#7 User is offline   simple pleasures 

Posted 31 October 2013 - 05:00 AM

it's a shame - i think your technique wasn't upto speed with it.... i find it as easy to use as things like pioneer cdj 2000 as i have a work flow and folder structure that allows fastish searching, browsing and playlist loading. like any djing gear and skill it's really worth putting the time into it and making attempts to get your head around the o/s and folder formats.

View PostHans from hdre.nl, on 19 September 2013 - 05:25 AM, said:

Thanks for your reply and hints!

As I indicated, I did generate playlists for each of my folders. That process took hours to complete, but even after having done that, browsing through the playlists isn't really responsive. When you rotate the browsewheel, the response is always late and not smooth. It jumps around ,aking it very difficult to select the song you want. Also booting up time of about 10 minutes even after everything is pre-analyzed and pre-playlisted, is not acceptable for a device of modern age.

I can think of Stanton using a slow ARM processor... But that is their choice, not mine. I think however that a ARM processor is capable of performing better. When I buy something, I am not obliged to investigating what processor the vendor used and if they did right. It's not a very expensive device, but not that cheap either. What makes this device special, is it's capability to run music of an attached USB drive, and Stanton advertises that that may be any HDD. Exactly the feature that makes this device special is lacking the expected performance.

I think Stanton missed out with their software. It really can't be that difficult to create a browser that just browses your folders and files within. That is really not rocket science, and 20.000 titles is not a big deal for whatever processor.

I used a fresh formatted USB3.0 WD 500GB HDD which was thus only about 10% filled with MP3's.
Since it was fresh formatted, a defrag doesn't sound usefull to me.

I don't think I will get used to this machine. I stuggled about a day and half trying to make it work for me, but it got me annoyed more and more.
So I decided to quit and send it back to the vendor and stop wasting my time on it.

It's a pity, for all the rest, the idea of this controller is great.

BTW: I now did some googling for SCS.4DJ being slow in it's browser capabilities... Whish I did that before I purchased it.

#8 User is offline   proaudiotech 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Gibson Pro Audio

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:18 AM

Hey,

I understand everyone's concern but

1. The unit has the same analyzation time that Traktor or any other program would have on your computer
2. I know that larger libraries do take time and have extra steps to setup to get the folder structure but that only happens the first time you use the unit with the new drive. It may take some time to setup the system but once it is setup it works good
Please note that this is a fan/enthusiast forum - this is not a customer service forum. If you have a customer service issue, please contact the Customer Service dept. Click here for CS contact information..

#9 User is offline   DJ-Nuno Karlsruhe 

Posted 04 November 2013 - 02:54 PM

Hi,
about external Harddrives i found out that USB-powered 2.5"HDD let stucking the system.
this problem i did got also on my "old" numark iDJ2 Controller and i solve it with a external Powered Harddrive.

at the moment i use on my SCS4.DJ with a SSD-Drive 128GB, this need less power consumption from the USB port and seams not to stuck so often like the 2.5HDDs.
untested is with a external powersupplied HDD-Drive, but i could imagine that will work better, as it was for the Numark iDJ2..maybe i will try out ;)

with Thumb-/Pendrives the stucking problems was on the Numark iDJ2 massive (tested several USB Brands...Verbatim/SanDisk etc.)
on the SCS4 i tested with some 16/32GB Pendrives (with 4.000-6.000 files), it's okay but you need buy the right Pendrives with fast reading/writing speed.
but i am confused if the Pendrives will work for a long time during a DJ Set for 5 hours.....the Sticks was after 3h hot and i think then it reduce the speed to cool down. so from my side i preferr a HDD-Drive or SSD-Drive.

next thing ! it doesn't metter if you use a USB3 or a USB2 Drive.
On the SCS4.DJ are USB2 Ports, cause the SCS4.DJ was released before USB3 exsist.

PLAYLISTS
i prepare the playlists on the pc/mac and not on the SCS4...i use for example MP3TAG v2.50 (newer version make some problems).

DEFRAG
defraging a HDD is a normal procedure pc-user so as well for every DJ with any kind of DJ-Software.....Traktor, Serato, VirtualDJ....so as well for SCS4.

DJ-Sets
be prepared is everything to make your job easier!
one of the Magic-Key about DJing is how to Organized yourself and as well how to Organize your Set.
If i do some Wedding-Parties i interview weeks before the bride/husband about the peoples who will come and what kind of age they are.
So you spend a little time to build some special Playlists or Genrelists.
If you start to DJing in diffrent Clubs, so you need to know about the guest who visiting the Club and as well about reputation/renown of the Club.

cheeriiiooo!
DJ-SET's:
- SCS4.DJ with SSD 128GB + 32 GB-Stick (installed in the bottom side), small Keyboard and SCS4.DJ-Bag
- Numark iDJ Pro Premium + iPad Retina 64GB (UMTS/WLAN) + DJAY 2.0 + Numark iDJ Pro Bag
- Numark iDJ 2 with HDD 320GB (3,5" CASE), Flightcase with integrated Keyboard
- Pioneer DJM250 + flightcase + Roland SP-555 (for Concert-Gigs beside to my percussions)
- Headphones: 1x Allen+Heath XONE, 1x Senheiser SD25-II
- DENON-DJ SC 2900

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users