Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Acoustic ID

WMcPhee89

Hey there folks, im looking for some clearification please.

I have a 1958 Gibson J45, where im confused is its a natural top... Which im lead to believe on my research is actually a J50. Although it is stamped j45 adj

So which is it ??? The reason for my concern is ; i contemplated selling it and the potential buyer turned theyre nose up at it like it had aids . And actually referenced a different model saying they had one already.... Dont care about theyre story but it has been in my mind!

Looks like a factory refin and update in the 60s. See the smudged stamp on the block? That is a pretty good indication. There may be a letter and some numbers stamped in the back of the headstock too. That is common on factory refins from the 60s.

• 2 weeks later...

Funny,

That is exactly the same guitar I just inherited and I asked in my post from yesterday (link below) if anyone can identify mine. Mine does have a serial number on the back of the headstock as shown in the picture, and I looked it up and found that it was most likely manufactured in 1969. So far I received no responses as far as model, etc.

Acoustic Identification

Archived