Gibson Brands Forums

Former Fender Bassman Owner…

darling67

Hey everyone!

I used to play a Fender Silverface Bassman head through a Marshall 4x10 cab. I loved the sound I got from my set-up, but upon finding myself playing out less and less—as well as making a cross-country move—I sold them.

I have not owned a decent amp since then, and recently I have begun considering buying a new amp. I am thinking of going the "combo" route this time. As I said, I loved the Bassman, and have been considering a new Bassman Reissue combo (as well as some other combos Fender is making these days). However, I don't necessarily have to remain married to a Fender. I know there are other good amp makers out there.

Based on my fondness for the Bassman, are there any suggestions any of you may have for me? I know… "go out and play some!". I probably will, but I'd like to have some sort of jump-off point. Anyone own an Orange amp... or a Soldano... Egnator?

Also, is there much difference in the sound of 4x10 speaker combo vs. 2x12? 1x12? Would two amps with the same wattage but with a different number of speakers sound much different?

Thanks!

Hi!

Based on my fondness for the Bassman, are there any suggestions any of you may have for me? I know… "go out and play some!". I probably will, but I'd like to have some sort of jump-off point. Anyone own an Orange amp... or a Soldano... Egnator?

so what is your budget?

I would say for a jump off, Look at some of these:

Fender DRRI (Deluxe Reverb Reissue)

Fender Super Sonic

BlackStar Combos (They have several variants)

Marshall JVM Series

PRS Combos

If you want to jump over to modeling, definitely take a few minutes and look at the Fender Mustang V2 amps.

(I have a V1 M-III and it's quite kewl!) there's just about nothing they don't do! (and do pretty convincingly)

Also, is there much difference in the sound of 4x10 speaker combo vs. 2x12? 1x12? Would two amps with the same wattage but with a different number of speakers sound much different?

I do think there is a significant difference. 4x10s to my ears gives a tighter (um, more focused??) mid/mass response than does 2x12 combos (I bought a 4x10 HR Deville some time back.) I sat down with the 2x12 version side by side to the 4x10, for what I was looking for the 4x10 was much more pleasing to my ears.

btw.. One of my friends has a Egnator Tweaker, he loves it, (I've never heard it, but this guy has a good ear, if he likes it I'd probably like it)

kidblast, thanks so much for your detailed and informative response!

The Blues DeVille is actually one of the amps on my list.... and I do like (have liked) the sound I got from a 4X10 cab. It makes sense that sound separated by two extra/smaller speakers would deliver a more, as you said, "focused" sound. I'd not throw a 2X12 out of bed, though. Haha!

My budget is, "I'd like to keep it under a grand". I should be able to do that easily with the discount I receive from work. I've owned Marshalls and Fenders in my day, and I like Fender amps. But I'd like to maybe mix it up a bit... get something different. Will check out the Egnator—I see they make a 1X12 40W model.

[thumbup]

about the HRDs.. they are great amps, I love mine, (I've had it for a number of years now 1999, or 2000 I think) go with an opened mind with the Hot Rod Deville in general, the clean sounds are great, the crunch channel is it's weakest link.

While you can draw some great sounds out of it, in my experience these amps need a really good sounding over drive pedal to be complete.

I find that I can use the crunch channel to get some good grit out of it by setting the gain setting low, around 3 or 4, then use the "more drive" to give yourself a bit more sustain, which gives you nice bluesy edge sound.

However, what I find with my 4x10, for anything that would be in the realm of "modern higher gain" tones, this is where a good OD pedal in the clean channel will probably be your best approach. I use a tone bone classic along with a barber burn unit. With these I get lots of options..

the 4x10 is a lot of amp and works great in almost any situation provided you're willing to front end it if you're looking for tones that the amp is just not able to produce.

Good luck!! New amps are fun adventures.

• 2 months later...

Hey everyone!

I used to play a Fender Silverface Bassman head through a Marshall 4x10 cab. I loved the sound I got from my set-up, but upon finding myself playing out less and less—as well as making a cross-country move—I sold them.

I have not owned a decent amp since then, and recently I have begun considering buying a new amp. I am thinking of going the "combo" route this time. As I said, I loved the Bassman, and have been considering a new Bassman Reissue combo (as well as some other combos Fender is making these days). However, I don't necessarily have to remain married to a Fender. I know there are other good amp makers out there.

Thanks!

My first "powerful" Fender amp was a 64 Bassman. Couldn't afford anything else at the time ($150.00). Then I could only afford one SRO speaker for it later. I gigged with that amp for years. Probably drove the neighbors crazy while practicing everyday after school with all the windows open and the amp cranked up to the appropriate crunch level. They still pop up on CL from time to time, sometimes pretty affordable. Keep your eyes peeled. Merry Christmas.

• 2 months later...

Presuming that maybe your a low ender, I'll give you some thoughts on bass amps.

Several years ago, the local Best Buy decided to get out of competing with Guitar Center and sold off all their decent equipment. I managed to buy an Eden WTX-264 with 10" cabinet on the recommendation of one young musician employee who was also a bass player. For me this was the right size for carrying around and packed a lot of sound. I only use it for home and jamming with friends. Then my future son in law was auditioning to be a bass player for a metal rock group. He asked if he could borrow the Eden head and hooked it to a Markbass 4 - 10 cabinet. Long story short he got the spot; but, was told to bring that amp. He ended up buying an Eden WT-800 and loves the the sound.

I also have a 60's 2 12 Bassman cabinet that I run the Eden through when home. I love that sound; but, its too much like work to carry around. The Eden amp or 10" cabinet provides 300 watts peak and has a great enhance area of the amp That little amp speaker setup will sound great in most small to medium size venues. The larger venues you should use one or two 4 -10 cabinets or channel through the PA.

Guitar Center has them used on line and locally quite frequently. The Eden 2 -10 and 4 - 10 cabinets will rock the walls; but, they are heavy.

Archived