Gibson Brands Forums

Strap Buttons

nick_s

I'm a firm believer in making my guitar solid as a rock on a strap, and as such on all my past and current guitars have used Schaller strap locks, but I think they would spoil the look of my new Studio.

Does anyone use standard buttons as they come? I think they are a little small to be honest, and wondered if anyone could show alternatives that they use :)

Thanks!

DV016_Jpg_Large_H76220.001_gold.jpgSchaller's here. Used them since I started hobby playing about 34 years ago, then the 2-3 years was in bands and ever since. Never had a drop other than before starting to use locks. Was thinking of the Planet waves Ellipticals. The Schallers may throw the look off, but better than a big ol' gash or broken neck.

I'll probably go the Schaller route again, would be an excuse to get a few trick pieces for the Studio anyway :) I just need the buttons as I have the lockers (lost the buttons somehow :( )

Although I do like the look of the elliptical buttons, may be worth getting a set to try them out.

I prefer shallers, I don't want to take a drill to my guitars unless it's absolutely necessary!

in the gas of an SG and where that pin is located behind the neck join. It would be really easy to create a total disaster... you can use the stock mount screws with the shallers...

The elliptical ones are interesting, and I assume would do the job. They remind me of the old Ibanez "V" shaped buttons. I know those worked great to keep the strap from falling off, but were difficult to remove the strap. Since I take the strap off and keep my guitars in the case, I prefer the speed of strap locks.

NHTom

On all my Gibson and Epiphone Les Paul guitars I use Schaller (retrofitted) or Grover (stock) security locks, retrofitted Schallers on my Gibson 2011 L6S guitars, and my Fender Telecaster American Deluxe came stock with Schallers engraved Fender. An old Suzuki LP copy is equipped with an obsolete locking system originally designed for mounting top coverages on boats which was also marketed for locking straps on guitars later.

On all the other guitars and basses I stayed with the stock strap knobs.

I've been using Grolsch rubber gaskets with the stock buttons on a few of my guitars, and they are working just as good as my guitars with Schaller and Dunlop strap locks. I imagine they will eventually wear out, but so far no problems at all. They work great(and cost $7 for 100 pack!).

• 3 weeks later...

I purchased a Planet Waves strap with the Planetwave locks. They look a lot like Dunlop locks. I have an Epiphone Hummingbird pro which is an acoustic electric. The neck pin is in such a position that the planetwave lock does not fit well. Its very tight to put on the pin and I feel like it puts a lot of pressure on it. So I rigged a piece of leather to the lock and just hook it to the pin with a regular hole/slot. The bigger problem is on the tail pin. It is large as it is made to accommodate the cable input. The standard holes on a leather strap do not fit. I use the planet wave lock on it because it has a larger hole and you can lock it down. So far it works ok but I am not happy with that set up but I don't know what else to do.

I started something similar to this thread about strap locks the other day.

Today I went and bought a set of LOXX. Easy to install on my L.P. Custom Florentine, with one minor problem - all of my straps are too thick for the locking mechanism to fit on!

That being said, the LOXX are impressive - can withstand 220 lbs. of pull, didn't have to re-drill the L.P. or any of the hardware, small profile. $21 at Guitar Center.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

There are some straps with a plastic "lock jaw" on them that should latch onto the stock pegs ok.

I had one of these lock jaw straps and I don't recommend them as the ends are made of a hard plastic and rub against the finish of the guitar. I learned my lesson on a my expensive PRS Tremonti last year.

I use the standard strap buttons with either a Planet Waves Planet Lock strap or a Levy's MNO1 strap with Dunlop Ergo Lok Straps. I don't want to unscrew the strap button screws to install strap locks. But if those screws loosen eventually on their own, then I'll install Schaller Security Locks.

I had one of these lock jaw straps and I don't recommend them as the ends are made of a hard plastic and rub against the finish of the guitar. I learned my lesson on a my expensive PRS Tremonti last year.

I added a little felt on mine, no problems so far. The new Gibson strap buttons are bigger if you can get them after-market. Don't have to use locks on my 2014 Les Paul.

Edited to add a PS: The new, bigger, strap buttons worked in rehearsal but not at a gig last night. The strap slipped off twice. Luckily, I did not actually drop the guitar.

• 1 month later...

My son saw a Planet Waves strap that he liked and it had their locking plastic ends. I was concerned over this very problem you just described.

I installed a set of Dunlop Straplocks in his Strat last night. I can't wait until he gets back home today to give it a try. I"m thinking he's gonna like his new leather strap and the Dunlops.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived