Gibson Brands Forums

Flying V Historic '58 korina reissues

mat-with-one-t

Hi all. There's a bit about on the interweb regarding the Historic '58 Korina Flying V Gibson reissues, but I thought I'd try to get something going here to try to update/collate what's around.

In particular:

1. what do you think are the best (in terms of as close to the originals, as well as playability and quality) years of reissue since the first ones in 1981?

2. what are the current values of these guitars? They are regularly on that place rhyming with 'hay', however most ads I've seen are fishing about rather than actually selling. Usual asking prices are b/w USD6-7K, but they never sell for this.

3. what features may make them a better investment or a better player?

Either way, I love these guitars, and short of an orig '58 (yeah right), I reckon they represent a rather cool bit of history.

Cheers, Mat

Mat,

I played an original 1958 V as well as an explorer back when I lived in Los Angeles a few years back and to be honest I personally could never understand why anybody would put out incredible amounts of money which is not the case in today's economy to buy one of these guitars as that guitar had to be probably the most uncomfortable guitar to hold let alone play in the sitting position........... Have you actually played one of these guitars Mat? jim in Maine

Yep, I've played a bunch of them. To me (personally) the allure of a guitar goes well past practicality. I LOVE the history and the mojo and the vibe of all sorts of guitars. This is where I find the V appealing. It's an icon. It doesn't have to be completely practical! So back to my original post, IF someone did, indeed, wish to purchase a 58 korina heritage RI, what would they choose?

Mat,

I played an original 1958 V as well as an explorer back when I lived in Los Angeles a few years back and to be honest I personally could never understand why anybody would put out incredible amounts of money which is not the case in today's economy to buy one of these guitars as that guitar had to be probably the most uncomfortable guitar to hold let alone play in the sitting position........... Have you actually played one of these guitars Mat? jim in Maine

I am no God just someone who has played quite a few Gibson guitars when a whole bunch of vintage shops such as Wooden Music were located in Chicagoland which is where I lived for many years. Yes I have played reissue Flying Vee's and to answer your question they were 'ok' guitars that in no way were comparable to a really good Les Paul. Gibson tried to replicate the original V and actually did do a pretty good job however you will have to put out major $$$ if you want one. What I would do if I were you is contact George Gruhn or Stan Jay of Mandolin Bros. for leads as yes they are not inexpensive dealers but are honest IMHO. jim in Maine

Mat,

The cheapest that you will find a reissue V is around $7-$8,000 dollars US. Unless you know of somebody selling one personally or a shop that has one for sale you will really have to do ebay for it unfortunately. There are like 1200 Gibson V's for sale right now on ebay. Good luck! jim in Maine

Thanks Jimmy. Yep - I've spotted quite a few for about that price, but I have noted they don't really seem to sell. That's why I was trying to figure:

1. IF they ACTUALLY sell, what are they going for?

2. Are older (say, 1981 1st reissues vs 50th anniversary or other more recent reissues) more valuable?

3. were some years of reissues better than others?

I don't actually reckon they are worth 7-8K, they just get advertised around this.... Problem is, I've not found many that actually sold...

Also, can someone clarify something for me regarding serial numbers:

- I am aware of the inked serial numbers of the early reissues, starting with "A___", "B___", and so on.

- What I've not confirmed is whether "Made in USA" was also stamped into the back of the volute? Personally, I have seen some that seem to have had this stamp, and some that didn't. Was this just a bit of a random addition at the factory? If anyone has one of the early ones, can you post a pic of the back of the volute? Cheers. Mat

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Still trying to gather info (not easy!!). Here's the next question:

I know about the first-run Heritage Korina V 58 reissues - started 1981, and had serials A___ (100 of them), B___(another 100) and so on up to F999 I think!).

Can someone enlighten us as to what the subsequent reissue years were (I think there was 2006, and a 50th anniversary, and a few other runs?). Also, what were the various serials and how were they placed on the guitar (ink/stamped into wood, etc), where were they placed, was there sometimes/always a "made in USA" or "custome shop" on them as well. Seems hard to get this info!! Cheers all, Mat

• 1 month later...

Yeah that's my understanding regarding the case - however I'm keen to know what came with the original guitar in terms of case candy. Anyone have an original with all the paperwork?

Yes. Bought mine new at GC in '82 and it came in a brown case with pink lining, almost no paperwork inside. I believe it had something that said Norlin on it and a small booklet talking about the controls and care. It had a key to lock the case as well which is still in the case in the little paper envelope. It might have had one of those Gibson promo cards about the size of a postcard that had a pic of a guitar the shape of the USA as well. No certificate or anything like that in mine.

11348183275_020151ba9a_b.jpg

Still trying to gather info (not easy!!). Here's the next question:

I know about the first-run Heritage Korina V 58 reissues - started 1981, and had serials A___ (100 of them), B___(another 100) and so on up to F999 I think!).

Can someone enlighten us as to what the subsequent reissue years were (I think there was 2006, and a 50th anniversary, and a few other runs?). Also, what were the various serials and how were they placed on the guitar (ink/stamped into wood, etc), where were they placed, was there sometimes/always a "made in USA" or "custome shop" on them as well. Seems hard to get this info!! Cheers all, Mat

My pickups are dated 6/82 and I have an A series number. I bet there are more than 100 per series as mine is above 200:

11348250376_9e9b02131b_b.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Just saw a Gibson Custom Shop Flying V with serial 931757. Looks like Korina reissue. Brand new. Any info on these?

I know Gibson was listing a Custom Shop version recently and it was quite pricey. They are not listing it now. It looked more like a 50's V than the ones they made in '82 in that the grain faced the right direction. The 50's V's had grain that ran down to the points, the 80's V had grain that ran parallel to the midline. You can find them on Google. I just saw one for sale for $6000. Built in 1998, had Classic 57's in it, tune-a-matic bridge, etc.

Archived