Gibson Brands Forums

Got bored so turned our dining room into a stage ..

EuroAussie

Well not exactly .... we have a wedding gig next Saturday and bought a new PA which we wanted to roadtest. The dining room is perfect 'stage size' and elevated so it was a good fit, and the Mrs was away which helped.

The unit sounded great, (Yamaha stagepass 400i), we ran through the materials and even recorded a new cover at the end we've been working on.

Havent posted here much in a while so I thought Id add something, love the sound of the HB TV fingerpicked plugged in, anyway this is the last track we did before wrapping up, screw up n' all ... Let Her Go by Passenger, continuation of my fingerpicking journey. The singer is now also a cajon player, were getting serious !

Hope you like it, feedback always welcome !

IMG_4538_zps771a7f0a.jpg

Cheers fellas, nice to get your feedback and know the pickin' is coming along, it really opens up a whole new world of tracks we can play at our gigs and its a lot of fun, aint it ?

btw: here's how it looks post gig, with the imminent return of Mrs EA.

IMG_4542_zps88918331.jpg

It's amazing what married men will do to remind themselves of the single life for a day....... ;)

Tip of the cap, EA... that's quality. NIce light and airy room there, lovely brickwork on the wall too. PIcking has definitely come on a good bit too, well done mate. My singer had us look at the same song recently.

It's amazing what married men will do to remind themselves of the single life for a day....... ;)

Tip of the cap, EA... that's quality. NIce light and airy room there, lovely brickwork on the wall too. PIcking has definitely come on a good bit too, well done mate. My singer had us look at the same song recently.

Cheers PM, its a nice space, aint it .... and if you wanna learn an acoustic version of this track there are many youtube vids of him playing this solo, which I actually prefer than to the original. Would be keen to see how yours end up, pls post it.

EA I can tell you have been putting in the practice time, the finger pickin' sounds incredible. Are you loving the HBTV? I'm thinking of getting one soon, but torn between a HBTV or a HB vintage early 60's.

You have a late 60's HB as well don't you? Which sounds better to your ears?

So have I - you can clearly hear they are related.

But this is a Q about finer flavors and ones veneration for the vintage spice in the voice. Add to that the nut width differences.

It would be unwise of me to give advice - and unwise of you to not go out there and feel it yourself.

In fact a hyper exciting mission for the fall.

Enjoy a good hunt -

EA I can tell you have been putting in the practice time, the finger pickin' sounds incredible. Are you loving the HBTV? I'm thinking of getting one soon, but torn between a HBTV or a HB vintage early 60's.

Thanks mate, getting more confidence now on the fingerpicking and starting to try a bit more expression but still without doing finger gymansticks, this author and people like Ryan Adams are a great inspiration how to make a few chords sounds tasty fingerpicked, especially when when capoed up.

But to answer your question, I find these two guitars have a very, very different tone. The 69'er is is very, very dry, much more of an in your face kind a tone, sounds a lot like a vintage D-18 actually. Its alos long scale, thicker braced and 1 11/16 nut width The HB TV is everthing you would expect from a Hummingbird in that it has that soft but full nectar tone, delicate yet rich, and when driven can be a brute, amazing plugged in tone also whether strummed or picked, almost makes it sound like three guitars were being played at once.

To be honest I was very close to selling the 69er last week, I found a buyer from the past and he was about to buy her but then came to the conclusion he cant risk the funds, so she got a reprieve.

My thoughts are that if you want a great representation of the Hummingbird tone get the HB TV, the 1.725 nut width also is handy.

Nice set-up.

Is this piece of electronic footage loyal to the actual hues of your burst, EA ?

Yes, you know I'm the first to know how they change with lightings and cameras, but never the less. . .

I would say it is most representative from the first picture Em7, in the vid it appears darker than normal but thats also as the recording was done later in the day while the pic early, and as we both know the Bird changes her stripes across the day ..

I would say it is most representative from the first picture Em7, in the vid it appears darker than normal but thats also as the recording was done later in the day while the pic early, and as we both know the Bird changes her stripes across the day ..

EU. Sweet song. Nice bird. Your singer plays Cajon, has a highhat, and uses brushes? Should make for great shows - easy setups and a nice sound.

EU. Sweet song. Nice bird. Your singer plays Cajon, has a highhat, and uses brushes? Should make for great shows - easy setups and a nice sound.

Yes, he's learnt to multi task and its refreshing to see him finally take some responsibility In setting up the gear rather than just putting up mikes stands !

Glad you enjoyed it !

Archived