Gibson Brands Forums

Showing off my '44 Banner LG-2 - pics, description and video.

twalker

Thanks for sharing your guitar and its story with us, Toby!

John... thanks for sharing your knowledge with that book of yours!! A MUST READ for anyone interested in the history of acoustic guitars, American history and yes, for all you Gibson fans out there!!

Hey congrats Toby. But nothing can send me back to school quicker than your playing. It does not matter what you have in your hands.

Do you still have the post-war script logo LG-2?

Thanks Zomby. Yes, I do still have that guitar (see Rich's post above). I've since had the neck reset and pickup installed and use it for gigging.

very nice!

Benn is a great guy--I;ve got a great story about vintage licks to relay to the group when i get a minute. anyone looking for a vintage guitar should check those guys out. good peeps [thumbup]

very nice!

Benn is a great guy--I;ve got a great story about vintage licks to relay to the group when i get a minute. anyone looking for a vintage guitar should check those guys out. good peeps [thumbup]

I couldn't agree with you more. I've purchased three instruments from Benn and they were all top notch. He's the real deal. Great guy.

Oh Toby, thank you so very much for the kind words, same to every one else as well....

(I haven't been to the Gibson forum in awhile and lost my credentials and had to re register)

Everyone should know, besides being such the wonderful and talented player, Toby is quite the discerning collector.

His collection, or should I say arsenal or even pro tool box is filled with stunning guitars anyone (including my self) would be envious of.

Bravo Toby!

Hopefully without sounding like a promo, I do appreciate these comments, this is truly the payoff for my passion of providing great sounding guitars to fine people.

Best wishes to all!

Benn

Toby, great guitar and sounds fantastic. What all was done restoration wise? It looks like there are some repaired cracks on the back. If so has that made any difference in the sound at all? Thanks.

Yes, there are repaired cracks on the back but I wouldn't know if that has any effect as they were done long before I purchased the guitar. I also believe the bridge was replaced at one time.

Toby, great guitar and sounds fantastic. What all was done restoration wise? It looks like there are some repaired cracks on the back. If so has that made any difference in the sound at all? Thanks.

If Toby doesn't mind, I'll field this one... a properly repaired crack will never negatively affect the sound characteristics of an already great sounding guitar.

Here is the original narrative describing our restoration ..... be sure to view the videos of some other fine pickers playing this fine instrument. '44 LG2 Banner

Hope this is helpful.

Yes, great LG2, Toby.

Well, I have looked at the Vintage Licks website a few times over the recent months........very interesting.

I have to put this link to Danielle Miraglia playing a 1940 Gibson L-00 from the Vintage Licks shop - cool video for Gibson L-00 lovers! Sorry Tony!

I sat through a nice looking girl's set at a local gig, but her fingernails were an inch long and she was beautiful, and sang well, but just didn't want to make the same commitment to the playing as Danielle obviously has done..........

BluesKing777.

Yes, great LG2, Toby.

Well, I have looked at the Vintage Licks website a few times over the recent months........very interesting.

I have to put this link to Danielle Miraglia playing a 1940 Gibson L-00 from the Vintage Licks shop - cool video for Gibson L-00 lovers! Sorry Tony!

I sat through a nice looking girl's set at a local gig, but her fingernails were an inch long and she was beautiful, and sang well, but just didn't want to make the same commitment to the playing as Danielle obviously has done..........

BluesKing777.

Danielle is a wonderful songwriter, player and entertainer. I've had the pleasure to be on a few gigs with her.

By the way, I'm playing my AJ in that shot.

9130463_orig.jpg

Now that is a pair to draw to!!

Damn Toby, you are killing me ....

Great photo!

The beauty in focus and the, well, older male guitar player ---haha- out of focus.

I have seen a number of your older videos before and will probably buy some of your lessons when the guitar fund is replenished after the last 'buy'......(payday monthly!).

I was thinking the other day that we should ask you a number of questions - while we have an accomplished musician and teacher on the forum.

Perhaps we need another thread, but my first question/s would be: "How did you decide on buying the '44 Gibson LG2 Banner (apart from reading JT's book) in a 'guitarly' manner?" By that I mean from a performer and teacher's point of view....... do you teach with a similar guitar at actual lessons? Would you take the Banner Gibson on the road? That sort of thing.... guitar lover things.....so, what goes through your head when you are buying a vintage guitar....

BluesKing777.

Great photo!

The beauty in focus and the, well, older male guitar player ---haha- out of focus.

I have seen a number of your older videos before and will probably buy some of your lessons when the guitar fund is replenished after the last 'buy'......(payday monthly!).

I was thinking the other day that we should ask you a number of questions - while we have an accomplished musician and teacher on the forum.

Perhaps we need another thread, but my first question/s would be: "How did you decide on buying the '44 Gibson LG2 Banner (apart from reading JT's book) in a 'guitarly' manner?" By that I mean from a performer and teacher's point of view....... do you teach with a similar guitar at actual lessons? Would you take the Banner Gibson on the road? That sort of thing.... guitar lover things.....so, what goes through your head when you are buying a vintage guitar....

BluesKing777.

Hi BluesKing,

Thanks for the kind words.

I think your idea of starting a new thread would probably be best. Do that and I'll be happy to hop aboard!

Toby

Archived