Gibson Brands Forums

Midtown Kalamazoo

StijnV

About half of the guitars I've bought have been mail order, (with an option to return within so many days). I've even pre-ordered one acoustic and waited several months for it. Most of these have been inexpensive guitars, less than $600. The main difference here besides the price is that all of my others have had either reviews by people who've tried them or own them, or I've seen videos or sound bites. I think Gibson needs to put out a video review of this guitar, or some sound bites on their website. No one knows what it actually is going to sound like. This is the most blindly I've purchased a guitar.

Even so, I took the plunge. I've had GAS pains for a CS-336 for years now, mainly because of the solid wood maple top and hollowed out mahogany body, but I really don't care for the stock tuners on a CS-336, I prefer Grovers. The M K has 18:1 locking Grovers, a solid maple wood top and the hollow mahogany body. I also like the idea of the shorter scale and I think it's gorgeous.

I wonder how many remember when Gibson first put out the ES-339? You could buy them for a while for less than $1000 and then for $1100, then $1400 and now check them out; many of them over $2000. I couldn't afford one at $1000, but I wanted one and I sure can't afford one now.

Not letting this one get away.

Well I already own a CS-336 and now I've got this one coming too... you're making me feel like... a.... hoarder [scared]

Mmmm maybe more of a whore-der [biggrin]

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, I have now officially started saving to get one of these MKs, in the hope that they do become more widely available and in different finishes. I've also decided it's my custom jazz guitar that will have to be sacrificed to make this happen (mainly because it's pickups are the closest I have to Gibson 57s). I'm mentioning this so Gibson have some specific feedback to say there is demand for this guitar!

I predict Gibson is reading the reaction in this and other forums. Further I can guess in 2014 (at some point) the Midtown Kalamazoo will resurface in a few select colors. However, my guess the sunburst will not be an option anymore, hence the 'limited to 300'. that happened with the Melody Maker Jonas Brothers model which got snatched up when people heard there were only going to be 300 made. Then sure enough, in a few months the various new Melody Maker Specials came out with 2P90s and every color BUT white, and rosewood fretboards.

perhaps some midnight blue, gold, and red gloss. usual suspects.

The limited edition aspect of this doesn't matter to me other than I wanted to grab my place in line before they were gone. It's a Gibson hollowbody with cool specs at a great price, what's not to like? I play out a little every week, but I'm not a pro. It's hard for me to justify spending several thousand on a high quality guitar, but $1500.00, yeah I can swing that. My guess is this will become a longer run model, but when it does, it'll cost more.

What I don't like is when it is supposed to come with coil tap and doesn't, or supposed to have locking Grovers and just has regular Grovers. We're taking a chance buying sight unseen on those advertised features being there, if the guitar was in our hands, we could see that they are or are not. That type of marketing is what upsets me. Not saying that will happen, but I've seen it before.

[scared] Stop That! [scared]

[biggrin]

I know, I'm scaring me too.

If it comes through as advertised, it could be my dream guitar (depending on how it sounds and plays).

Seriously, if I listed out my desires for the specs of my dream guitar this is it:

Gibson

Hollowbody 2 pickup electric

All solid mahogany body

Solid wood top (I would have liked spruce, but I think maple will be stronger and a bit brighter, which will be important with the short scale, so I'm fine with that)

Grover Tuners 3x3 (locking's a plus)

Gold hardware on a nice visually warm tone finish.

Classic Gibson styling (the Kalamazoo has a timeless look IMO)

Lacquer finish

Slim neck

Rear access to control cavity (I've fished the wiring for a semihollow, it was no fun)

Rosewood (or ebony) fretboard (okay ebony would have been better, but hey it's real wood and I can't really feel or hear any difference between ebony and rosewood),

Fretboard Binding

Alnico magnet pickups and 57's are IMO the epitome of that type pickup

coil split with reverse center position to noise cancel

Fixed Tunamatic Bridge (never liked floating bridges or trem type bridges)

Good playability and warm tone (should get both from short scale design.

Priced within my reach

Somewhat unique (okay so a limited edition while not really important is a plus in that everybody and their mother won't be playing this model)

I don't really care about it not being arched top, or any other color, or any of the other listed complaints or reasons to wait I've read about this guitar. To me, as I said, this is my dream guitar (if of course it sounds good! Who knows the answer to that?!)

I don't really care about it not being arched top, or any other color,

Are you sure it's not an arched top?

Below is part of the description from Gibson's site. Of course we won't know for sure until we have them in our hands.

the Midtown Kalamazoo takes its cue from another legendary archtop electric that featured an equally innovative “hybrid” design in its time: the Byrdland. In full Midtown tradition, although the style and feel all start with that vintage original, Gibson USA raises the bar to bring you an instrument that’s ideal for the needs and musical styles of the 21st century guitarist.

Are you sure it's not an arched top? Below is part of the description from Gibson's site. Of course we won't know for sure until we have them in our hands.

Arched would be nice, but like I said, it doesn't really matter to me. I'm going by the photo of the side. It looks pretty flat.

Arched would be nice, but like I said, it doesn't really matter to me. I'm going by the photo of the side. It looks pretty flat.

You're right about the pics online. It does appear to be flat. It's not an issue for me either.

I hope the date they are available on Gibson's site is correct, if so maybe some of us will have one this time next week.

There is something about a new Gibson. I think its going to be a fine guitar .

[thumbup]

On another forum, someone questioned the wording as to whether or not it is solid or laminated. This line, "Bound multi-ply body with Maple top and f-holes" is a bit ambiguous in light of this description, "The Midtown Kalamazoo has a thinline acoustic body made with a Grade-A maple top and a Grade-A mahogany back," which to me implies solid wood. In either case I agree, I think it will be a fine guitar.

It's gonna be a long week.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine came today. First of all the answers to some of the questions being asked:

what is the lower bout width? Mine measures approx 14.5" at its widest point. Very comfortable to play seated.

Is it fully hollow? I can't see a center block, but I can feel one. Also tapping on the top shows it does seem to have a center mid block but the bottom and sides seem to be hollow.

Is it a laminated top? I can't quite tell 100%, but it appears to me to be a solid top of about 1/4" thick at the f holes, mine is two pieces nicely matched in the center. The f hole edges are painted, but I think I am able to follow a grain pattern through from top to bottom in a few places. I'm sticking with solid wood.

The back of mine is routered out mahogany. Mine is two pieces nicely matched in the center. By the way, my father was a master cabinet maker who made grandfather clock bodies, shell-back corner cupboards, tables and cabinets, museum quality pieces, I spent many hours working in wood myself, so when I say something is nicely crafted I know of which I speak. One thing he taught me is that a properly fitted and clamped glue joint is stronger than the wood it is holding together so the joined pieces don't bother me. Also, they are almost invisible.

Interesting thing about the back; where the cover panel is for the control cavity it is not one big hole. Gibson did something very clever here. The panel covers several smaller holes placed for access, but so that when looking in the f hole from the front you can't see a big blob of plastic panel. What you see is the wooden back of the guitar, you have to look pretty hard to see any sign of the openings through the f hole. Very nicely handled Gibson.

Mine does have locking Grovers and coil tap.

Fit and finish were great. Set up out of the box was right where I like it, nice an low. Again, nicely done Gibson. The guitar just needed to be tuned a bit.

Tone wise:

It's got that nice crispness that I like about my LP. There is clarity and distinction in the notes (well, as much as my crappy playing allows) The electronics are dead silent, no buzzing even in single coil mode. The bridge pickup is very bright, but rolls off nicely with the tone controls. The neck pickup has nice jazz tones in it. The volume however on both drops off quickly and there doesn't seem to be a lot there on either pup. Of course I am spoiled by having Dirty Fingers pickups in my LP so I am probably being unreasonable about that. Overall the tone of the guitar is very pleasant, just maybe I have to push my amp a bit more than with some of my other guitars. Part of that may be the strings though. It comes with fairly light gauge strings, .009s I think. .010s would do better I think and that is what I will be putting on when I change mine sometime.

Playability:

Wonderful. I was worried about adjusting to the short scale, no big deal for me. I really like it.

Worth the wait guys. Very very nice. Pic to follow.

what is the lower bout width? Mine measures approx 14.5" at its widest point. Very comfortable to play seated.

Is it fully hollow? I can't see a center block, but I can feel one. Also tapping on the top shows it does seem to have a center mid block but the bottom and sides seem to be hollow.

Is it a laminated top? I can't quite tell 100%, but it appears to me to be a solid top of about 1/4" thick at the f holes, mine is two pieces nicely matched in the center. The f hole edges are painted, but I think I am able to follow a grain pattern through from top to bottom in a few places. I'm sticking with solid wood.

The back of mine is routered out mahogany. Mine is two pieces nicely matched in the center. By the way, my father was a master cabinet maker who made grandfather clock bodies, shell-back corner cupboards, tables and cabinets, museum quality pieces, I spent many hours working in wood myself, so when I say something is nicely crafted I know of which I speak. One thing he taught me is that a properly fitted and clamped glue joint is stronger than the wood it is holding together so the joined pieces don't bother me. Also, they are almost invisible.

Interesting thing about the back; where the cover panel is for the control cavity it is not one big hole. Gibson did something very clever here. The panel covers several smaller holes placed for access, but so that when looking in the f hole from the front you can't see a big blob of plastic panel. What you see is the wooden back of the guitar, you have to look pretty hard to see any sign of the openings through the f hole. Very nicely handled Gibson.

Fit and finish were great. Set up out of the box was right where I like it, nice an low. Again, nicely done Gibson. The guitar just needed to be tuned a bit.

Tone wise:

It's got that nice crispness that I like about my LP. There is clarity and distinction in the notes (well, as much as my crappy playing allows) The electronics are dead silent, no buzzing even in single coil mode. The bridge pickup is very bright, but rolls off nicely with the tone controls. The neck pickup has nice jazz tones in it. The volume however on both drops off quickly and there doesn't seem to be a lot there on either pup. Of course I am spoiled by having Dirty Fingers pickups in my LP so I am probably being unreasonable about that. Overall the tone of the guitar is very pleasant, just maybe I have to push my amp a bit more than with some of my other guitars. Part of that may be the strings though. It comes with fairly light gauge strings, .009s I think. .010s would do better I think and that is what I will be putting on when I change mine sometime.

Playability:

Wonderful. I was worried about adjusting to the short scale, no big deal for me. I really like it.

Thanks for the great review.

Tone wise:

Playability:

Thank you Sir! I am very excited to read this and can't wait to get my hands on "Charmaine". I am naming her after my Mom in loving memory. Great review - thanks for taking the time to post it up!

Archived