Gibson Brands Forums

Midtown Kalamazoo

StijnV

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since you asked...

I have the money to buy any guitar I want, I have for a long time. I am probably one of lots of your companys best friends.

But I don't "pre-order" anything. Make more than 12 of them, put them in the stores, let me try one, because I'm a guitar player, not a modern day hype buyer. If you want to research you'll have to risk it like any real company and stop making people "pre-order" so you know how many to make. Remember who it is that fundamentally makes your company a success, guitar players do. They buy things a certain way, and you and the guys in PA and the guys out in CA all know it, but you continue to try and make me act like a 1500 dollar guitar is the BluRay of the last episode of Twilight. It isn't. It's just a little more serious than that for most guitar players. If it is any consolation to you, I could possibly own two or three Midtowns right now, looking forward to buying a Midtown Kalamazoo. But you "limit" these things, only certain Platinum Plated Diamonique dealers get them, and I don't get to buy them because I never see them, with two guitar centers and a sam ash within 50 miles of where I'm sitting I don't get to see half of what comes out because it just doesn't get here. So just that one guitar line, the Midtown, you lost at least two sales, and probably the next one that comes out, because I won't ever see one.

I don't know who makes more money for your company, people who know nothing about guitars, or people that know everything about guitars. Either way, if you guys only want to make and then sell 300 or 400 of things, why ask? It won't matter what anyone says because you'll keep doing it.

I only own an SG because Mrs walked smack into a 50th Anniversary that the dealer didn't even know how he got it. I would have never seen one if not for that odd coincidence, and I took it as fate, and I dearly love that guitar. That coincidence was a rarity, and it effects your sales directly.

Decide to make them, see to it that the networks of stores get a couple of each. You'll find out quickly if they "aren't for everybody". Make three hundred and you'll easily sell that many to people that will ask guys like me why this 1500 dollar guitar isn't in tune.

There you have it. Thanks for asking.

rct

Hello!

Since I've started a thread on this instrument a couple of days ago, let me inform You, that the first reaction of fellow Forumites was more than positive...

...until they found out they are limited to 300 pieces.

Even though, I decided to buy one on the day it appeared on my FB timeline, I had to back off. For one reason: to get one, I have to sell one of my guitars. For me that would mean, that I have to let my Tele go. After playing it for an evening, I decided it would be stupid of me, because it's a great guitar too.

So I had to postpone my purchase until next year. But, - due to limited supply - I basically have no chance to get one then, here in Central Europe...

Cheers... Bence

Hi Stijn.

Here's the thread started by Bence. It makes good reading and will answer a few of your questions.

http://forum.gibson....new-temptation/

I telephoned the main Central London dealership and was amazed to be told they are only being allocated two instruments. Two! For the whole of London? C'mon!

I like the M-K very much indeed. I'd probably want to buy one. But I'm not going to buy a guitar without first trying it out and if the dealership only gets two guitars I doubt I'll be able to time it right to get one before anyone else!

There has been no mention of the 'Limited to 300' figure anywhere on the main Gibson site. Can you either confirm or deny this number?

And if the street price is $1499 as advertised by Wildwood Guitars then that seems to be a good deal.

Those stores in the UK which publish a price mention £1,199 which equates to $1925. $426 (35%!) more expensive than over your side but still not as much of a fleecing as we usually enjoy...

P.

It looks like a nice alturnitive to shelling out for a Byrdland . But why is Gibson limiting production to 300 ? other than trying to make it a "Colletor Guitar" . The price point is good , but How should people try them . It is a USA shop made . That in it's self warrents trying before buying . I'm sure none will make it down to my part of the US , so I would have to buy online ? I'm not to sure . i don't like doing that with CS guitars . Playing is everything when doing an Eval of a guitar .

Hi All,

Got my Midtown P90 back after a pro setup (free since I bought the guitar there) and it now plays beautifully.

No more out of tune open chords.

Tuning still seems to wonder a little, but this is most likely due to changes in temperature.

Overall I'm very happy. Those P90s are sweet [thumbup]

Now as far as the Kalamazoo is concerned, it seems that 10 guitars will be coming to Australia and I've had my local store (having been allocated two) put my name on one of them with first option to buy.

I know I'll want it and so will have to do some real grovelling [blush] with 'she who must be obeyed' :angry:

Cheers,

Luke

beautiful guitar. and that its a real hollowbody makes me like what i see it even more.

i've got my eye on it of course. and i'll be puling the trigger.

re: 300 limited release. Of course that makes it a desirable guitar, but that only makes the guitar collectable if Gibson strictly makes 300. If after the initial 300 sell out (and they will) GIbson introduces into production the Gibson Midtown Kalamazoo in new colors, then my suspicions will be confirmed. it was just a marketing experiment. That doesn't negate the beauty and utility of this axe, but it makes the whole 'get em while you can' vibe a bit sneaky. I don't like that. If you're gonna make a limited run... don't bother telling anyone.

Like a handful of other limited release guitars, this may only a test to see how many sell, and how fast. so i would bet the 2014 line of gibson USA will directly reflect sales of this model with some variation.

As far as practicality and use? Spec page states its got everything that I like. Classic body design that won't look goofy in 15 years. The short scale, slim neck profile & classic 57s... all fine ideas. As if the guitar was made for me! the flowerpot ornamentation on the headstock is beautiful, and i can dig the locking tuners.

Coil splitting I have grown wary of from my experience with the other models that boast this feature.

An eye catcher for sure. I can't wait to see it in action. [thumbup]

Well I pre-ordered mine from Wildwood earlier this month after someone else started a thread about it. I own a lot of Gibsons already and to be honest - I have NEVER pre-ordered a guitar without first playing one - until this one.

Many years ago I got to play another guy's "Byrdland" and it stuck with me how great it was to play his. Never felt like throwing down $7k- $8k for a vintage one so this price point was too good to pass up - especially compared to what I've already invested in my collection. As far as I know - we only live once so to hell with it. I ordered one. But I fully appreciate why many would not want to pre-order a guitar without playing one first - I'm one of those guys too. But in a few weeks I'll be playing mine. [love]

I pulled the trigger on this too. The only place I know of that states there will only be 300 is Wildwood. I spoke to 2 other Gibson dealers that can't or won't confirm that. If there truly are only 300 available the dealer I ordered from probably won't receive as many as they claim they are. I was told they are to receive 50 and I am number 7 on their pre order list.

I pulled the trigger on this too. The only place I know of that states there will only be 300 is Wildwood. I spoke to 2 other Gibson dealers that can't or won't confirm that. If there truly are only 300 available the dealer I ordered from probably won't receive as many as they claim they are. I was told they are to receive 50 and I am number 7 on their pre order list.

I just checked my pre-order sales invoice and it was actually September 28th that I paid Wildwood the $500 deposit. I seem to recall that Steve from Wildwood told me they were getting 20 of this model and that he was confident they would have them all sold by the time they got there based on pre-orders they had already received deposits on. I didn't ask where I was on the list - just wanted to know I was on that list. [smile]

Hi Stijn.

Here's the thread started by Bence. It makes good reading and will answer a few of your questions.

http://forum.gibson....new-temptation/

I telephoned the main Central London dealership and was amazed to be told they are only being allocated two instruments. Two! For the whole of London? C'mon!

I like the M-K very much indeed. I'd probably want to buy one. But I'm not going to buy a guitar without first trying it out and if the dealership only gets two guitars I doubt I'll be able to time it right to get one before anyone else!

There has been no mention of the 'Limited to 300' figure anywhere on the main Gibson site. Can you either confirm or deny this number?

And if the street price is $1499 as advertised by Wildwood Guitars then that seems to be a good deal.

Those stores in the UK which publish a price mention £1,199 which equates to $1925. $426 (35%!) more expensive than over your side but still not as much of a fleecing as we usually enjoy...

P.

It is a limited model, but the amount of this model made will not be disclosed.

Hello Stijn!

Sounds way better than 300 pieces max.

Just for the sake of a joke: so this is a limited model just like any other Gibson guitar made? Obviously, it's not possible to make mathematically infinite quantities of anything. :D

Hope one or two will reach to the final frontiers of Europe too. ;)

Cheers... Bence

Seems promising to me. I've been hoping for Gibson to come out with basically a hollow Wildkat with 57s, and this is it. Only two problems are availability and aesthetics. Not a fan of vintage sunburst, but aged cherry with nickel hardware, or antique natural (like my 'kat), or cherry sunburst, or so many others, and I'd be sold (assuming there were enough around to be able to try it first).

I too, never pre-buy a guitar that's not availble, for weeks or months.

I only buy, after I play them. I can't tell you what I think, aside

from it's "good looks," which the Kalamazoo has plenty of. But, this

type of marketing, is like that of a "Mail Order Bride." You don't

really know, what you're getting, until it's here/too late! [scared][tongue]

As to the limit of 300...way too low! At that price, you'll (most likely)

sell out, before a lot of us could either save enough, or even FIND one.

So, that guitar is a Great Idea, really good looking (though, I'd have

preferred to have back binding, on the body, as well (but, then I would

have preferred that, on the other Midtown models, too) but...that's just

Me!

And, while we're at it...I detest the idea, of (Some of your) "limited editions"

ONLY being available/exclusive, to certain "big box" stores...Gibson, or Epiphone!

I can think of at least 2 models, I might have otherwise purchased, that my dealer

could not get. And, living in the sticks, I'm 100 miles (or more) from any of the

big box stores, and even they didn't always have those models, in stock, as being

either "sold out," or "special ordered". I much prefer my own, much smaller, family owned

dealer, anyway. They have better prices, and way better service, at and after, the sale!

Thanks, for your attention...

CB

About half of the guitars I've bought have been mail order, (with an option to return within so many days). I've even pre-ordered one acoustic and waited several months for it. Most of these have been inexpensive guitars, less than $600. The main difference here besides the price is that all of my others have had either reviews by people who've tried them or own them, or I've seen videos or sound bites. I think Gibson needs to put out a video review of this guitar, or some sound bites on their website. No one knows what it actually is going to sound like. This is the most blindly I've purchased a guitar.

Even so, I took the plunge. I've had GAS pains for a CS-336 for years now, mainly because of the solid wood maple top and hollowed out mahogany body, but I really don't care for the stock tuners on a CS-336, I prefer Grovers. The M K has 18:1 locking Grovers, a solid maple wood top and the hollow mahogany body. I also like the idea of the shorter scale and I think it's gorgeous.

I wonder how many remember when Gibson first put out the ES-339? You could buy them for a while for less than $1000 and then for $1100, then $1400 and now check them out; many of them over $2000. I couldn't afford one at $1000, but I wanted one and I sure can't afford one now.

Not letting this one get away.

It is a limited model, but the amount of this model made will not be disclosed.

Not to be negative, but WTF does that even mean?

What is the point of "limited" if there is no number assigned?

Does that mean that if it is a dog and doesn't sell, it will be "limited" to say 50, but if it is popular it will be "limited" to 5000?

No offense, but if there is no number put with it, then "Limited" is nothing more than marketing hype..........I'm usually not one to Gibson bash on here like some do, but this one puts me off.

NHTom

Does that mean that if it is a dog and doesn't sell, it will be "limited" to say 50, but if it is popular it will be "limited" to 5000?

No offense, but if there is no number put with it, then "Limited" is nothing more than marketing hype..........I'm usually not one to Gibson bash on here like some do, but this one puts me off.

NHTom

It's ridiculous, I agree. Like it's a friggin video game or something. Stupid. The money I've spent on Gibsons since before almost every person that works there today started? Dang right it puts me off.

rct

It's ridiculous, I agree. Like it's a friggin video game or something. Stupid. The money I've spent on Gibsons since before almost every person that works there today started? Dang right it puts me off.

rct

The funny thing is.......I'm a sucker.

I WANT to believe in the myth, the mojo, the vibe, etc........I grew up looking at Gibson's as legendary instruments that only the guitar gods played, etc.....

But this type of marketing "cheapens" it for me........I'll believe in the myth, but please don't make me look stupid in the process...lol.

Sadly, just like rct said above......I'll keep buying them though.......

NHTom

NHTom

+1

[thumbup]

indeed.

Ok, I have now officially started saving to get one of these MKs, in the hope that they do become more widely available and in different finishes. I've also decided it's my custom jazz guitar that will have to be sacrificed to make this happen (mainly because it's pickups are the closest I have to Gibson 57s). I'm mentioning this so Gibson have some specific feedback to say there is demand for this guitar!

Archived