Gibson Brands Forums

Epi Viola bass wiring diagram

epibassguy

Hello all, I'm new here and I was wondering if anyone knows where I can print off a wiring diagram for the Epiphone Viola bass... I also need to know what the stock pot and capacitor values that are shipped with the bass. I already pulled off the control panel and the printed values on the pots are covered with solder. I read another post on the forums that kinda touched on the subject but the poster wasn't very clear about the pots being 500k or 250k. I want the same value as the stock pots because I like the tone as is. The pots that came with the bass are just to sporadic. For instance, you can be turning one of them and not much is happening then suddenly, the volume shoots right up. I just want better, smoother working electronics. And I need the wiring diagram because the humbucker pup's are making a 60 cycle hum, so I'm not sure they are wired correctly. The solder job from the factory is not very good. Anyway, I hope someone here can help as I have looked on the web pretty good and I can't seem to find much information at all.

[smile]

Can't help you with a schematic.Pots are easy enough to strip down and clean with electrical contact spray and some emery paper.That usually solves the sporadic problem.You could put a meter on the pots to find the value.

The hum might be a bad earth/ground.

Thanks for the reply. In the interim I have ordered new CTS pots and I'm going to just go ahead and re-wire everything. I went with 500k pots as that's about the only thing I can come up with online... there just does not seem to be a lot of information on the web about the Epi Viola. I'm also going with a .1 capacitor. I had emailed Gibson about all this information and I did get a fast reply saying that they just didn't know but they would find out and let me know..... They have not contacted me back since. :^o

• 1 year later...

Thanks for the reply. In the interim I have ordered new CTS pots and I'm going to just go ahead and re-wire everything. I went with 500k pots as that's about the only thing I can come up with online... there just does not seem to be a lot of information on the web about the Epi Viola. I'm also going with a .1 capacitor. I had emailed Gibson about all this information and I did get a fast reply saying that they just didn't know but they would find out and let me know..... They have not contacted me back since. :^o

they probably don't know, I know tht epi doesn't have a schematic for a 1992 EBM-5 bass so I am sure there are other models and years they don't have schems for. just curious did you try doing an internet search for epiphone viola bass schematic, or epiphone viola bass diagram, or epiphone viola bass wiring?

Hello all, I'm new here and I was wondering if anyone knows where I can print off a wiring diagram for the Epiphone Viola bass... I also need to know what the stock pot and capacitor values that are shipped with the bass. I already pulled off the control panel and the printed values on the pots are covered with solder. I read another post on the forums that kinda touched on the subject but the poster wasn't very clear about the pots being 500k or 250k. I want the same value as the stock pots because I like the tone as is. The pots that came with the bass are just to sporadic. For instance, you can be turning one of them and not much is happening then suddenly, the volume shoots right up. I just want better, smoother working electronics. And I need the wiring diagram because the humbucker pup's are making a 60 cycle hum, so I'm not sure they are wired correctly. The solder job from the factory is not very good. Anyway, I hope someone here can help as I have looked on the web pretty good and I can't seem to find much information at all.

[smile]

I'm sorry that I can't help you with an Epiphone schematic but I do have an actual Hofner schematic and a photo of an Asian Hofner's control panel (which probably isn't too far removed from the Epiphone version) if these can be of any help to you...

Houmlfner2_zps65959d2f.jpg

_577_zpsd5aecd41.jpg

Archived