Gibson Brands Forums

Jason Hook explorer

tmtstillrockin@51

Hope I don't trash it but I will definately enjoy it. Couple of things I dont care for on the design but from a comfort standpoint, I luv it!!

There are two ways a guitar generally falls into a real collector market...

1. the guitar is used by someone famously influential that generates widespread demand for the guitar

2. the guitar offers something intrinsically desirable in limited numbers (which then usually puts it into category #1)

Jason Hook is obviously a good enough guitarist to get a sig, but the question comes down to whether his influence is substantial enough to generate the following, or some guy like you who has one and gets famous playing one ends up generating interest. This is certainly possible, though it is a longshot and there is no telling when the ship will come in for this guitar in terms of great collector value (IF that ever happens).

As for the guitar itself, you have a '76 style explorer with a Sergeant FC's or Gunny's chevron graphic with a hideous cavity cover instead of a proper pickguard. Some may think the graphic and/or cover cool. some may not. IMO, I think the graphic is cool enough, but the guitar is utterly ruined by the cavity cover. This guitar Should NOT have been a '76 explorer, but instead an '84 explorer (one with a back route cavity instead of a front route cavity the '76 has). Making this a '76 spoils the looks of the graphic completely. What's more, the damage could have been controlled with a proper '76 pickguard that was painted to match the stripes, but that was either omitted by the player or not provided as an option by Gibson.

This makes the whole thing look cheap and haphazardly made, as if to say, "look, you are good enough for a 'base' Gibson sig, but that's it... you want frills and it will have to be an Epiphone". This is all just my opinion, but the fact is that '76 Explorers are a dime a dozen as it were and the cool factor (if any) of the unique graphic is just as likely to be nullified with the terrible treatment of the cavity cover. So my guess is that you bought a '76 and that's what it will be worth, so enjoy the hell out of it.

Good info V-man, thanks for the reply. And yes it's graphics aren't for everyone, I guess as long as myself and 399 others like it, that's all that matters. If u get the opportunity to play one I think you will agree it is quite possible the most comfortable axe you have ever played. Thanks again and keep on rockin!!

Well, as far as the dislikes, I just feel Gibson could have done a better job on the pickguard. It's just kinda cheap lookin. The other thing I don't care for is just above the pick guard there's two open ports that are only gonna allow dirt and dust to become a issue. It's definitely no where near as eye appealing as my Bill Kelliher explorer. The finish on it is amazing. All that said, I love them both for different reasons. Many reviews on the Jason Hook are mixed at best but from a playing standpoint its awesome!

The pick guard is the black plastic wiring shield. It's basically the same as what you would see protecting the wiring on an auto. It really has two functions, it protrudes above the body of the guitar. Although it serves it's purpose I just gotta question whether there was enough thought put into it. Who knows, that maybe exactly the look they were after. As far as the case, its very cool. All explorer cases are huge, that doesn't bother me.

The pick guard is the black plastic wiring shield. It's basically the same as what you would see protecting the wiring on an auto. It really has two functions, it protrudes above the body of the guitar. Although it serves it's purpose I just gotta question whether there was enough thought put into it. Who knows, that maybe exactly the look they were after. As far as the case, its very cool. All explorer cases are huge, that doesn't bother me.

I kind of wonder about that part because when I saw one of these up close, that plastic wiring shield did not stick out past the cavity at all and was flush or lower. If I were you, I'd at least fix that up because I think it was intended to be lower.

If you have a Kelliher Explorer...you have the pinnacle of cool Explorers for now anyway so making the Hook to your better liking should be priority one.

@ Thunderhorse, have to agree with you on the Bill Kelliher. It's nothing short of eye candy. I definitely need some time to get used to the coil splitting. I'm not what u would call an accomplished guitarist. Time will tell if that is even possible. I do enjoy the challenge though. I can't blame it on my equipment. I wasn't aware that the wiring shield on my hook was supposed to be recessed or flush. Mine is the only one I have seen in person. I'll do some homework on that.

@ Thunderhorse, have to agree with you on the Bill Kelliher. It's nothing short of eye candy. I definitely need some time to get used to the coil splitting. I'm not what u would call an accomplished guitarist. Time will tell if that is even possible. I do enjoy the challenge though. I can't blame it on my equipment. I wasn't aware that the wiring shield on my hook was supposed to be recessed or flush. Mine is the only one I have seen in person. I'll do some homework on that.

Ah! You and I are in the same shoes then! I play like Ferris Bueller but that sure didn't stop me from impulse buying that pure piece of gold Kelliher Explorer! If I'm going to learn, it might as well be on a lust machine like that.

• 9 months later...

Archived