Gibson Brands Forums

Bill Kelliher Golden Axe Explorer. Anyone else got one

Flagsmasher

Probably the prettiest and most versatile of all my guitars.

The Lace Nitro Hemi pickups with coil taps give a range from Strat like twang to full on metal "pull your face " off power. It balances perfectly so I can play standing up for hours.

But....am I the only one that owns one? I've searched this forum and can't find a single mention of another.

Anyone else got one?

Hi Flagsmasher,

I've seen the ads for that guitar ane I think it's one of the best looking Explorers I've seen. Looks like a classed-up Les Paul version of the Explorer to me. I'll have to keep my eyes out so I can try one out. They haven't been out too long, have they? Haven't heard of the LACE Nitro pickups before.

Post up some pics and congrats on scoring the great guitar!

Hi Flagsmasher,

I've seen the ads for that guitar ane I think it's one of the best looking Explorers I've seen. Looks like a classed-up Les Paul version of the Explorer to me. I'll have to keep my eyes out so I can try one out. They haven't been out too long, have they? Haven't heard of the LACE Nitro pickups before.

Post up some pics and congrats on scoring the great guitar!

Morning ( well, it is here!) Blueblooded

I believe they were released early in 2013 (here in England anyways) and so far I have only seen one, and I bought it!

YesI, it's a special guitar...Lace pickups are usually found in Strats, but these humbuckers have some seriously high output.

But, they both have coil taps operated by the push/pull tone and volume pots, so you can get tons of different sounds.

The neck is bound, and it has trapezoid inlays in the fingerboard. I love the way Bill Kelliher (of the band Mastodon) specified the pickup selector switch to be moved to the back of the controls, it makes selection so much easier. I did a gig in Germany a few weeks ago, and used this guitar on such diverse songs as "We are family", "Let me entertain you", "Soul Man" and a rocking German tune called "Am Tagen wie Diesem" ( On days like these) and it is up to the task for all of the tones required. I played it through my Mesa 1 x 12 Nomad, miked up, and it fulfilled all the requirements I needed.

If you get the chance please try one. Here's the pic, with my Tokai Firebird V, Epiphone Explorer (1999 with Bare Knuckle 'Holy Diver' handwound in UK pickups) and the Golden Axe

Guitars2.jpg

I just had mine delivered yesterday from Sam Ash. They were out of stock online but the sales reps were able to find one for me at one of their retail location warehouses. I've had it for 12 hours and this is personally my favorite Gibson. My first explorer! I've never been a big fan of any signature series guitars (aside from the Page-Les Pauls) but I've wanted an explorer for a while, i've listened to Mastodon for years this one came out so I figured what the hell... sam Ash offers a 45 day money back guarantee if I didn't like it. It weighs in at 8.5lbs dead even. The case is insanely huge and heavy and just freaking awesome! 33lbs total shipping weight! I've had 2 Les Paul Studios, 1 Les Paul Studio Deluxe and currently have a Classic Custom. The playability straight out of the box is fantastic. Usually Gibbys require a set up...we all know this to be true. Not this time around. It is perfect!! The lace nitro-hemi pickups are so articulate and responsive. Honestly they really surprised me. It sounds great clean, dirty or full on Mastodon! Coil tapping is always a plus! This neck seems to be a tad bit slimmer than the usual gibson 60's slim necks that i've owned in the past. I personally think that it's somehere between a strat and an ibanez neck. The darkness of the rosewood is nice compared to say the baked maple on my CC. Not knocking the baked maple at all, I adore it on my CC. The finish is incredible with beautiful wood grain showing through. All in all i am very pleased with this guitar and consider myself super lucky that I was able to get my hands on one of 400. It's just so classy and metal at the same damn time. Good job Bill and Gibson and thank you both!

This was the axe I had to say "No" to. It is absolutely stunning and one of the FEW recent Gibsons that I find top to bottom desirable. However I have 2 Gibson Explorers and about 10 Gibson Vs (along with my Jacksons). Even with the "sell one or two and get this one" notion, the economy is too rough for it to be worthwhile. Enjoy it, it's a fine looking axe worthy of its name.

Well after reading the reviews and the posts I couldn't take it, mine showed up yesterday. I have to say I'm impressed. The finish is very nice. The cream binding and gold hardware work well together. The light grain visible through the finish is an added plus that I wasn't expecting. Would have liked to see Gibson add some case candy similar to my Jason Hook. Haven't plugged it in yet. Almost afraid I'll scratch it but can't wait to try out the Lace pickups. Overall at this point, well done Gibson and Bill Kelliher!!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

My lord, this is one spectacular guitar. Beautiful esthetics and really nice to hold and play. Despite being a neophyte to guitars and guitar playing I already have a Gibson LP and SG. I think the Golden Axe feels best. The pups are really hot and great sounding. Kudos not only to Kelliher for demanding the proper specs for the body and electronics but to Gibson Nashville for great workmanship. All frets are level using a straight edge with the exception of an ever so slightly high 13 and 14. Haven't yet measured neck relief nor string action but looks darn good to the eye plus no buzzing anywhere on neck. Very happy all around.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Archived