Gibson Brands Forums

NGD - 2002 Historic 1954 LPC Black Beauty...

old mark

Just got here about noon Saturday...an eBay impulse buy...

DSCN1498_zps96ded079.jpgII saw an original '54 in a pawn shop in Philly in 1965, but could not afford the $450 they were asking for it...They seem to have become more costly since then...

DSCN1499_zpsa7cac2bb.jpgI saw this one sort of by accident while looking for something else, and I was so impressed with it I checked my finances and jumped on it...

DSCN1500_zps5cfb3b7a.jpgIt shows a little use and wear, which is great with me...I'm not a collector, just an old bar band player, and I LIKE older guitars that show their experience...I will play this one, but probably never take it out of my house...The belt buckle wear is the big wear area...I have seen little other than plating loss, which is normal on an 11 year old guitar.

Really glad to have found this one and that I had the money to buy it when I did find it.

mark

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Congrats! What sort of pickup is in the neck position?

Sorry for the delayed answer - this was the standard '54 LPC neck pickup, called a staple pickup because of the rectangular pole pieces. They are powerful single coils, similar to a P90, but with a very distinctive sound. I wish Gibson still made them. I understand an aftermarket maker still makes a few of them but they are very expensive.

They are GREAT sounding and I had seen an original '54 in a pawnshop in Philly in the mid 60's - I didn't buy it because I thought $450 was too much money for a guitar without humbuckers. In later years, I have regretted that decision and I am very glad to have this re issue...a real beauty!

mark

Archived